The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Original post by ThatRandomGuy
Hey guys :smile:

It is fairly unlikely I will apply to Cambridge (certainly not Oxford) but I'll still keep track of this thread as long as I can be bothered :P

I want to do economics at uni, though as it is so competitive I can't help but feel that applying to Cambridge will be a waste of an application.

Attained 4 A*'s, 6A's, a Distinction and a Merit at GCSE (pretty meh).

Recently attained 4A's in my Jan AS exams in maths/further maths, economics and physics with an average UMS of 87%. However, I underperformed somewhat and reckon I can do much better in my summer exams, an average somewhere closer to 95%.

So... worth me applying? :colondollar:

Yes! You can apply to 5 Unis so it's not like you're pushed for space, and the only way of guaranteeing not getting in, is not applying...
Original post by iCiaran
Yes! You can apply to 5 Unis so it's not like you're pushed for space, and the only way of guaranteeing not getting in, is not applying...

If I do apply to Cambridge, that effectively leaves me with three other unis to apply to, as I'll most likely apply to one uni outside the top 10 so I have one 'safe' option.

I'll be quite disappointed if I don't get into a top, top uni.
Reply 462
If I do apply to Cambridge, that effectively leaves me with three other unis to apply to, as I'll most likely apply to one uni outside the top 10 so I have one 'safe' option.

I'll be quite disappointed if I don't get into a top, top uni.

Well if you don't apply for Cambridge you'd always be thinking "what if I did...", well I would anyway, and I wouldn't want spend the next couple of years of my life wondering if I could have got into the number 1 Uni for my subject, because i didn't even try...
Reply 463
Original post by --emma--
They've probably just taken a bit longer than expected to process all of the applications or something. :console:
Yeah, good point. :tongue:
Hmm, I don't know, I'm going to the Oxford one though because I'm not sure I'd enjoy living in London - I like the campus universities and London is so spread out...and expensive. :/ Shame, because the universities there are really good.
Yeah, every time I see someone saying that the want to apply to Emma I hope its not for natural sciences. :tongue:

So much for Germans being efficient :lol: The email implied that they would tell you if you weren't successful too, so I guess they are just enjoying their Easter holidays :L
Which course there? I thought you couldn't do Natsci? That's true about London though :/ At least there's lots to do there.
Well, they do accept more than one person :tongue:

Original post by chickenonsteroids
Why am I here?

like I'm going to be in the position to even apply :colonhash:

The video in your sig... omg :rofl: :awesome:
And why are you not in the position to apply?
Original post by Etoile

The video in your sig... omg :rofl: :awesome:
And why are you not in the position to apply?

:ahee:

I have my mocks in 2 weeks ... it shall be my deciding fate :sigh:

On the plus side... i'm now the highest in my German class :smug:

Spoiler

It is fairly unlikely I will apply to Cambridge (certainly not Oxford) but I'll still keep track of this thread as long as I can be bothered. :tongue:

I want to do economics at uni, though as it is so competitive I can't help but feel that applying to Cambridge will be a waste of an application.

Recently attained 4A's in my Jan AS exams in maths/further maths, economics and physics with an average UMS of 87%. However, I underperformed somewhat and reckon I can do much better in my summer exams, an average somewhere closer to 95%.

Yes.

It is fairly unlikely I will apply to Cambridge (certainly not Oxford) but I'll still keep track of this thread as long as I can be bothered. :tongue:

It is definitely worth you applying! I'm a current student at Cambridge (absolutely loving it) and most of my friends (and myself) were pretty convinced we weren't going to get in when we applied. But we just decided it was better to try than never know. Your results sound fantastic - it is also important to remember that there is no GCSE requirement. If you like the look of the course and the university in general, I'd definitely encourage you to give it a shot. I did and I've never looked back.
Reply 467
Original post by CatBrearley
Really? Ah well, it still shows I do have a bit o a lie outside of school :tongue: and I have changed my mind about Homerton now, I have whittled it down to Murray Edwards and Newnham. I found my outcome very surprising because at the start I immediately discarded the women only colleges but after a LOT of research I actually love them :biggrin:

Yeah; then again, other universities do care so I wouldn't abstain from doing everything, of course, just no need to overdo it :smile: Although, are you the person who said they may apply to Cambridge only? (Sorry, I'm far too lazy to scroll through previous posts :tongue:.)

And ooooh, why have you ruled out Homerton? I think I might be 'playing the numbers game' a tad too much - despite the fact it is unarguably beautiful with great facilities, one of the most appealing aspects to me is that it has a large intake.
Original post by alexsasg
Thanks - now I've just got to meet it! Procrastinating on TSR isn't really the best way to do that. :colondollar: Good luck with your application :smile:

Good luck with it! No it's not.... I should be revising :s-smilie: Thank you!
Reply 469
Hello everyone :smile: I applied to Cambridge this year - so if there are any questions about the application - ask away :biggrin:

Good luck to everyone!
Reply 470
Original post by Nadine10
Hello everyone :smile: I applied to Cambridge this year - so if there are any questions about the application - ask away :biggrin:

Good luck to everyone!

College/course? :smile:

Good luck to everyone!

What convinced you to apply?
Reply 472
Original post by Kidioteque
College/course? :smile:

Economics at Gonville and Caius :smile:
Reply 473
Original post by chickenonsteroids
What convinced you to apply?

To Cambridge? Well you get the chance to learn from some of the best in the field and there are the tutorials as well. Plus just the experience of colleges and all the history :smile: Pretty much sells itself!

If I apply to Cambridge, it'll probably be there :biggrin:, may I ask what your UMSs were like?
Reply 475
Original post by tooambitious
If I apply to Cambridge, it'll probably be there :biggrin:, may I ask what your UMSs were like?

Well when I applied in October, my UMS average was around 93%-95% (depending what subjects were counted). But after January exams this year I think it might have gone down a bit :P.
Reply 476

Ace, congratulations! I'm considering applying to Caius - may I ask what convinced you to do so? :smile:
Reply 477
Original post by Kidioteque
Ace, congratulations! I'm considering applying to Caius - may I ask what convinced you to do so? :smile:

Well I am an international student so I did not have a chance to visit the colleges before the interview. When I went there for my interview I absolutely fell in love with it. It is right in the middle of the city (you cannot get more central than that!), it has loads of history, an amazing library and the people were just really friendly. All this came across on their website as well.
Well when I applied in October, my UMS average was around 93%-95% (depending what subjects were counted). But after January exams this year I think it might have gone down a bit :P.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 479
Well I am an international student so I did not have a chance to visit the colleges before the interview. When I went there for my interview I absolutely fell in love with it. It is right in the middle of the city (you cannot get more central than that!), it has loads of history, an amazing library and the people were just really friendly. All this came across on their website as well.

Great, I'll certainly keep it on my shortlist in that case. I need to consider location a little more I think, I'd definitely like to be fairly near to the centre but also for the college to have big grounds and sports facilities.. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending