The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kidioteque
Yeah; then again, other universities do care so I wouldn't abstain from doing everything, of course, just no need to overdo it :smile: Although, are you the person who said they may apply to Cambridge only? (Sorry, I'm far too lazy to scroll through previous posts :tongue:.)

And ooooh, why have you ruled out Homerton? I think I might be 'playing the numbers game' a tad too much - despite the fact it is unarguably beautiful with great facilities, one of the most appealing aspects to me is that it has a large intake.

Well I have enough :L :smile: haha well, in all honesty I spent ages manipulating the stats data to work out which would be the easiest for me to get into considering that, yes I am, the person who is only going to apply to Cambridge :L So I kind of need to do everything in my power to get in

Well, just on looking further into the women's colleges, I really like Newnham :biggrin: But on the open day I may change my mind to Murray Edwards. It is out of those two definitely for me :smile:
Original post by Etoile
So much for Germans being efficient :lol: The email implied that they would tell you if you weren't successful too, so I guess they are just enjoying their Easter holidays :L
Which course there? I thought you couldn't do Natsci? That's true about London though :/ At least there's lots to do there.
Well, they do accept more than one person :tongue:

Haha, good point. :tongue: I don't think you should read too much into it, I'm sure it's nothing bad. :biggrin:
Biomedical Sciences. And whilst I'm fairly sure I want to have a career in biomedical research, I'm not totally sure which is why I'll apply to Cambridge if I have good enough UMS.
Yep, it'd be cool if 2 or 3 people from our thread all got into the same college. :lol:
Original post by Kidioteque
As the thread for 2012 applicants was created at about this time last year (and the Oxford sub-forum has one too :wink: ), I figured it was about time somebody set up a thread for 2013 applicants. :smile:

Obviously some of us will be waiting to find out AS UMS scores before committing (me included), but I thought it might be good to use the thread as a place to gain motivation and chat with other prospective applicants.

If you wish to be added to the Cambridge Applicants for 2013 Stalking Page, just write your relevant information (course, AS Levels taken, academics, colleges being considered) in a post with me quoted in, and I'll add you to the list when I get the chance. If you feel comfortable with the wiki editing format, by all means add yourself to the table.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Natural Sciences (Physical),
(Scottish Highers instead of AS Levels) Geography, English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics,
nine 1's at Standard Grade, I play Piano and Baritone, Play on the Hockey team and in the Wind Band, Prefect, Rotary Youth Leadership Award (RYLA) , Dux of Fourth Year, Dux of Physics in Fourth Year, Dux of Art in Fourth Year, working towards Gold Duke of Edinburgh
Considering Newnham/Murray Edwards :smile:
Original post by Nadine10
Hello everyone :smile: I applied to Cambridge this year - so if there are any questions about the application - ask away :biggrin:

Good luck to everyone!

Woohoo economics :biggrin:

What books, if any, did you read? Aside from popular mainstream titles?

And what other unis did you apply to/get accepted by if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 484
Original post by ThatRandomGuy
Woohoo economics :biggrin:

What books, if any, did you read? Aside from popular mainstream titles?

And what other unis did you apply to/get accepted by if you don't mind me asking?

The two main books which I read and mentioned in my personal statement are:

Globalization and Its Discontents - Joseph Stiglitz
Crisis Economics - Nouriel Roubini

And ya I would keep away from mainstream titles like Freakonomics, because tbh I think it does more harm than good :P

I applied to Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL and Bristol and got conditional offers from all of them.
Original post by Nadine10
The two main books which I read and mentioned in my personal statement are:

Globalization and Its Discontents - Joseph Stiglitz
Crisis Economics - Nouriel Roubini

And ya I would keep away from mainstream titles like Freakonomics, because tbh I think it does more harm than good :P

I applied to Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL and Bristol and got conditional offers from all of them.

I have both of these on my kindle just need to get round to reading them :tongue:
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll try and check them out.

And congrats on all your offers, it is really impressive. I'm slightly put off applying to LSE and Warwick as my GCSEs aren't so great, though I really would like to go to Warwick. LSE I'm not so keen on as it's in London (I live in London) so I wouldn't even be able to move out.
Original post by YazB7
Also for the philosophy undergraduate, would my alevels be okay? Psychology, Biology and Sociology. Lastly, I'm going to start AS level Religious Studies in September

A friend of mine got an offer for philosophy for Cambridge this year, and her A-levels were psychology, RS and English - yours aren't too different and I would say that biology is probably more 'impressive' than English in some respects anyway. I also have a friend who took up an AS in her A2 year, and I think the universities she applied to appreciated the extra work she was taking on, especially as it was relevant to her course.
Reply 488
Original post by mondegreen
A friend of mine got an offer for philosophy for Cambridge this year, and her A-levels were psychology, RS and English - yours aren't too different and I would say that biology is probably more 'impressive' than English in some respects anyway. I also have a friend who took up an AS in her A2 year, and I think the universities she applied to appreciated the extra work she was taking on, especially as it was relevant to her course.

Thank you. My gcse's are terrible though, compared to majority of the applicants.
Reply 489
Original post by YazB7
Thank you. My gcse's are terrible though, compared to majority of the applicants.

Don't let your gcse's put you off from applying. Every year people get in with anything between 0-13A* at gcse. Your AS exams are used as indication of your ability, so work hard for your exams, you can do it :smile:.
Reply 490
Ohey keen beans. Just wanted to drop in and say good luck in the next 9 months to you all; and work hard of course :smile:. I hold an offer for maths at Robinson; so if you any of you have questions about my personal experiences in applying and my choice to do so for maths at Robinson specifically; ask away :smile:.
Original post by insomniacramblings
History, Politics, English Lit, Philosophy (all AS). What about you? :smile:

It might!

I have no clue how the competition for Sociology and Social Anthropology is, but being that I don't meet all the criteria, I'm hoping not too fierce. :redface:

Ah essay subjects. I do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics.

Yh I so hope so.

It's a shame that they haven't got figures about last year's applications and percentages and all that to allow to have an idea about our chances though.
Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
Ah essay subjects. I do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics.

Yh I so hope so.

It's a shame that they haven't got figures about last year's applications and percentages and all that to allow to have an idea about our chances though.

Remember... essay subjects are for the kings of the world :yes:

How has your preparation been going for exams ?
Original post by chickenonsteroids
Remember... the sciences are for the kings of the world :yes:

Yep I agree with you there :wink2:

It's going good. I've got through Decision 2 and FP 1 and I've got 4 more units to do. How about you?

You didn't have jan exams did you? :/
Yep I agree with you there :wink2:

It's going good. I've got through Decision 2 and FP 1 and I've got 4 more units to do. How about you?

You didn't have jan exams did you? :/

:sigh: you have a long way to go ... sciences? really? :colonhash:

Nah I didn't but now I've got my mocks coming up :frown:

Are those modules a lot of work?
:sigh: you have a long way to go ... sciences? really? :colonhash:

Nah I didn't but now I've got my mocks coming up :frown:

Are those modules a lot of work?

What subjects are you doing again? :smug:

Good luck on the mocks :smile: Have you got any real exams in June?

Erm they're both Further Maths modules, but are certainly manageable. I need to work on Physics because we've only covered about half of the content.
What subjects are you doing again? :smug:

Good luck on the mocks :smile: Have you got any real exams in June?

Erm they're both Further Maths modules, but are certainly manageable. I need to work on Physics because we've only covered about half of the content.

My highers are english philosophy and history. The only science I do is physics :yes:

Nah I don't, all my exams are taken at the end of 2 years :no: :no:

My highers are english philosophy and history. The only science I do is physics :yes:

Nah I don't, all my exams are taken at the end of 2 years :no: :no:

Ah okay, you shoulda picked physics as a higher though!

Oh lol seen, how many exams will you have?

Make sure you merk these and be really nice to your teachers then :smile:
Ah okay, you shoulda picked physics as a higher though!

Oh lol seen, how many exams will you have?

Make sure you merk these and be really nice to your teachers then :smile:

I would have died you see... that's why I didn't take it

i'll have like 8 or 9? can't remember

of course :wink: but they'll be difficult :frown:
Reply 499
Original post by --emma--
Haha, good point. :tongue: I don't think you should read too much into it, I'm sure it's nothing bad. :biggrin:
Biomedical Sciences. And whilst I'm fairly sure I want to have a career in biomedical research, I'm not totally sure which is why I'll apply to Cambridge if I have good enough UMS.
Yep, it'd be cool if 2 or 3 people from our thread all got into the same college. :lol:

I didn't get into the 4 week one and I'm still waiting to hear for the other. *breathes sigh of relief* - for the one I didn't get into, I wasn't really keen because it is A VERY LONG TIME which would mean missing two weeks of college, the UCL open day and the Harry Potter studio tour that my parents booked. :colondollar:
Ahhh cool :smile: I'm sure you will!!
That would be brilliant :rofl: There's already Groat!

Remember... languages are for the kings of the world :yes:

Indeed they are. :teehee:

:ahee:

I have my mocks in 2 weeks ... it shall be my deciding fate :sigh:

On the plus side... i'm now the highest in my German class :smug:

Spoiler

Mocks don't dictate how well you will do in the real thing! Just work really hard and it'll pay off :smile:
Awesome! Toll gemacht :tongue: Then that is excellent motivation!

Latest

Trending

Trending