The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Etoile
I didn't get into the 4 week one and I'm still waiting to hear for the other. *breathes sigh of relief* - for the one I didn't get into, I wasn't really keen because it is A VERY LONG TIME which would mean missing two weeks of college, the UCL open day and the Harry Potter studio tour that my parents booked. :colondollar:
Ahhh cool :smile: I'm sure you will!!
That would be brilliant :rofl: There's already Groat!

Oh, well, I'm glad it all worked out then. 4 weeks is a long time to commit. :erm:
Harry Potter studio...wow. I'm jealous. Very jealous. I expect lots of pictures on Facebook. :colonhash: :wink:

Good point. :lol:
Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
I need to work on Physics because we've only covered about half of the content.

Same! :confused: I have no idea why we're so far away from finishing, it feels like I've learned nothing at all since January.

Luckily, ph2 is a bit of a joke for my board... Ph3 (AS practical) is nasty though :/ not only the erroneous error analysis but the questions on the paper are also actually quite tricky...
Reply 502
Original post by --emma--
Oh, well, I'm glad it all worked out then. 4 weeks is a long time to commit. :erm:
Harry Potter studio...wow. I'm jealous. Very jealous. I expect lots of pictures on Facebook. :colonhash: :wink:

Good point. :lol:

My teacher was like "Please apply :puppyeyes: I think it would be a magical opportunity... :puppyeyes:" But yeah :eek: Plus I'm really conscious that most of the extracurricular stuff I do is for German, and my better grade is in German, so I should really be devoting that time to French instead.
I'm so excited! :biggrin: Pictures there shall be :colone:
It bodes well!
Reply 503
Oh also, sorry to double post but I noticed that people have got their music grades on the stalking page. Now, I've never taken a music exam before but I play the piano and if I asked my teacher I think I'd be able to do grade 6, having listened to the pieces on youtube. Do you guys think it's worth it?
Original post by Etoile
My teacher was like "Please apply :puppyeyes: I think it would be a magical opportunity... :puppyeyes:" But yeah :eek: Plus I'm really conscious that most of the extracurricular stuff I do is for German, and my better grade is in German, so I should really be devoting that time to French instead.
I'm so excited! :biggrin: Pictures there shall be :colone:
It bodes well!

Oh, which do you prefer? Or is that a question that you can't answer? :tongue:
French is very hard to pronounce though, I always found Spanish easier. :smile:
Good good. :biggrin:
:moon:
Original post by Etoile
Oh also, sorry to double post but I noticed that people have got their music grades on the stalking page. Now, I've never taken a music exam before but I play the piano and if I asked my teacher I think I'd be able to do grade 6, having listened to the pieces on youtube. Do you guys think it's worth it?

If you could do it without much effort then you might as well. But Cambridge couldn't really care less about extra-curriculars from what I've heard at those talk things you get when you visit with school. Although it would show that you can handle school and a life at the same time. :tongue: But you could always just mention that you play piano. :dontknow: I wouldn't let it get in the way of A-level revision though.
Anyway, that's just what I've heard, I'm sure there are people on here who know a lot more than me. :tongue:
Original post by Kidioteque
As the thread for 2012 applicants was created at about this time last year (and the Oxford sub-forum has one too :wink: ), I figured it was about time somebody set up a thread for 2013 applicants. :smile:

Obviously some of us will be waiting to find out AS UMS scores before committing (me included), but I thought it might be good to use the thread as a place to gain motivation and chat with other prospective applicants.

If you wish to be added to the Cambridge Applicants for 2013 Stalking Page, just write your relevant information (course, AS Levels taken, academics, colleges being considered) in a post with me quoted in, and I'll add you to the list when I get the chance. If you feel comfortable with the wiki editing format, by all means add yourself to the table.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

hello there!
i am planning to apply to Cambridge as an international student, provided that i achieve my predicted grades :redface:

Course: Law
GCSE's: -
AS levels: English Literature, History, Geography, Business Studies (predicted AAAA)
Extracurricular: EPQ (start after the exams), one month work experience in a law firm

I am trying to keep i touch with current affairs and have been reading The Economist and The Independent lately. What other sites/newspapers would you recommend? :colondollar:
Reply 507
Oh, which do you prefer? Or is that a question that you can't answer? :tongue:
French is very hard to pronounce though, I always found Spanish easier. :smile:
Good good. :biggrin:
:moon:

It's a question I couldn't answer without exploding :tongue:
Do you think so? I don't find pronunciation too bad, except the word "roi" :getmecoat: Sometimes in German you can get a bit tongue tied though with all the sch sounds :colondollar:
Why :moon: ?

If you could do it without much effort then you might as well. But Cambridge couldn't really care less about extra-curriculars from what I've heard at those talk things you get when you visit with school. Although it would show that you can handle school and a life at the same time. :tongue: But you could always just mention that you play piano. :dontknow: I wouldn't let it get in the way of A-level revision though.
Anyway, that's just what I've heard, I'm sure there are people on here who know a lot more than me. :tongue:

Mmm that's what I was thinking, whether it is worth stress or not. Then again, I do need a life outside of academics :lol: I could always just say I play "to a grade 6 standard" ... ! I'm never sure how far they want extracurriculars or not, and I'm sure other universities probably want them. Don't know. :s-smilie:
Reply 508
I have never thought about applying for Cambridge before, but I'm predicted for five A's at (Scottish) Higher level this year, and I don't know if it could actually be an option for me (I suspect not, though).

My Highers are Maths, Physics, English, RMPS and History. I want to study physics, so this is where my problem lies: I only have one science. I could take up higher biology and/or chemistry next year but then I wouldn't be able to take the advanced highers that I need.

I don't even have another science at Standard Grade level, and it's a Natural Sciences degree; I don't even have geography.

Should I even be considering Cambridge?
Reply 509
Original post by ..lauren
I have never thought about applying for Cambridge before, but I'm predicted for five A's at (Scottish) Higher level this year, and I don't know if it could actually be an option for me (I suspect not, though).

My Highers are Maths, Physics, English, RMPS and History. I want to study physics, so this is where my problem lies: I only have one science. I could take up higher biology and/or chemistry next year but then I wouldn't be able to take the advanced highers that I need.

I don't even have another science at Standard Grade level, and it's a Natural Sciences degree; I don't even have geography.

yes !
Original post by Etoile
It's a question I couldn't answer without exploding :tongue:
Do you think so? I don't find pronunciation too bad, except the word "roi" :getmecoat: Sometimes in German you can get a bit tongue tied though with all the sch sounds :colondollar:
Why :moon: ?

Mmm that's what I was thinking, whether it is worth stress or not. Then again, I do need a life outside of academics :lol: I could always just say I play "to a grade 6 standard" ... ! I'm never sure how far they want extracurriculars or not, and I'm sure other universities probably want them. Don't know. :s-smilie:

Then best not answer it. :tongue:
I've never really spoken or heard any German so I can't compare, but I think Spanish is easier to pronounce than quite a few other languages.
Oh, just thinking how good it would be if we all got into the same college. :biggrin:

Oh, me too. I've been out of the house a grand total of 2 times so far this holdiay - one to see family and one to a party. Oh well, I'll go out a bit more in the summer when we don't need to revise. :tongue:
Yeah, other universities might like it but I'm sure you'd be okay to stick with just saying that you play piano. :dontknow: Definitely mention learning Russian. :biggrin:
I have been waiting for this thread! I have certainly fell in love with everything about the uni, the city and the Bio Nat Sci course. Have recently come back from the Sidney Sussex open day and was very enjoyable.

I guess I am academically average / just under average with 7 GCSE A*'s depending on my UMS will depend on if I apply at all and how I apply (tactically speaking). I did bum a couple of exams this Jan that I shall have to do again but I scored 100% UMS in Bio which is the main one so in for a shout I hope!

You fulfil the criteria to apply but I spoke with a NatSci Physics lecture and he said "If you didn't do Further Maths and you're applying for Physics you best have a good reason why".
Original post by Etoile

The admissions officer and subject leader made it perfectly clear they want academic excellence and that is it. They do not care whether you have trekked up the Alps or assisted with NASSA in their latest project.

The prospectus said include it in your PS as other universities may care but Oxbridge do not.

One thing they did say is to keep up to date on related news articles etc and really practice talking about your subject.
Reply 513
Hi, sorry for being stupid but how do you book an open day to cambridge uni? I've been on their website but I still don't get it. :/

Thanks for any help :smile:
Reply 514
Original post by Alex Bampton
You fulfil the criteria to apply but I spoke with a NatSci Physics lecture and he said "If you didn't do Further Maths and you're applying for Physics you best have a good reason why".

Thanks for the reply, and I hope you do well :smile:

Really? I thought I'd need more sciences even to be considered!

We don't have Further Maths here, but I'm doing Advanced Higher Maths next year (and I must add, I can't wait). As far as I know, they're to the same level.
Reply 515
Then best not answer it. :tongue:
I've never really spoken or heard any German so I can't compare, but I think Spanish is easier to pronounce than quite a few other languages.
Oh, just thinking how good it would be if we all got into the same college. :biggrin:

Oh, me too. I've been out of the house a grand total of 2 times so far this holdiay - one to see family and one to a party. Oh well, I'll go out a bit more in the summer when we don't need to revise. :tongue:
Yeah, other universities might like it but I'm sure you'd be okay to stick with just saying that you play piano. :dontknow: Definitely mention learning Russian. :biggrin:

Indeed :tongue:
Here's some German for you to listen to :biggrin: It's the trailer of a really cute film:
[video="youtube;kenoyAhTsYI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kenoyAhTsYI[/video]
Spanish sounds cool :smile:
It would be grand :biggrin: Although if we got into different colleges we could still see each other :tongue:
I don't think I've been out at all :colondollar: But I've got plans for the next three days :lol: Ooh a party, awesome. Definitely! But there will still be holiday homework :nothing:
Tbh I think speaking Russian would be just as hard to make relevant as playing the piano :tongue: Are you going to say anything about extracurriculars?

Original post by Alex Bampton
The admissions officer and subject leader made it perfectly clear they want academic excellence and that is it. They do not care whether you have trekked up the Alps or assisted with NASSA in their latest project.

The prospectus said include it in your PS as other universities may care but Oxbridge do not.

One thing they did say is to keep up to date on related news articles etc and really practice talking about your subject.

Thank you! :smile:
I do read Le Monde and der FAZ regularly so I'm covered there I think. Plus with languages half of my subject is talking. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 516
Original post by Kidioteque
As the thread for 2012 applicants was created at about this time last year (and the Oxford sub-forum has one too :wink: ), I figured it was about time somebody set up a thread for 2013 applicants. :smile:

Obviously some of us will be waiting to find out AS UMS scores before committing (me included), but I thought it might be good to use the thread as a place to gain motivation and chat with other prospective applicants.

If you wish to be added to the Cambridge Applicants for 2013 Stalking Page, just write your relevant information (course, AS Levels taken, academics, colleges being considered) in a post with me quoted in, and I'll add you to the list when I get the chance. If you feel comfortable with the wiki editing format, by all means add yourself to the table.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Just realised you're going to do law :smile: Have you done any work experience or are you planning on doing some?

Also with History, what exam board etc?
Original post by Sausage1
Hi, sorry for being stupid but how do you book an open day to cambridge uni? I've been on their website but I still don't get it. :/

Thanks for any help :smile:

Hi there,

I would recommend looking at particular colleges and choosing an open day depending on which date suits for one of the colleges you like the look of.

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/events/opendays/college.html

Obviously some are women only, postgrad only, check which ones do your course and then you can be picky, big / small college, by city centre, old / new etc.

They will go into all the details about Cambridge as a whole as they would on a general open day but for me this really gave a personal touch, less people as well.
Original post by Etoile

It's worth it for other Universities (Durham, UCL, etc.) Cambridge won't care.

Being a dastardly culprit of putting my music grades down there, I'm sorry for being misleading. I may remove that now, it's just something I am proud of (I love music :biggrin:)

I'm not familiar with the Scottish higher system. But if you're doing maximum maths (i.e. as much as is offered), then you can apply. If you're doing standard maths + physics only, then you're going to be at a considerable disadvantage.

You should also be aware that there are two pathways into physics. You can do maths for the first year then switch to Physics, or you can do Natural Sciences in the first year then switch to Physics. The choice is yours, but the maths option is pretty difficult because Maths at Cambridge is... well, Maths at Cambridge.

If you're more confident in the applied-physics side, NatSci may be a better option. But again, going in with only Maths and Physics is questionable (but this isn't a problem if you're doing double Maths).
Reply 519
Original post by Llewellyn
It's worth it for other Universities (Durham, UCL, etc.) Cambridge won't care.

Being a dastardly culprit of putting my music grades down there, I'm sorry for being misleading. I may remove that now, it's just something I am proud of (I love music :biggrin:)

I'm not familiar with the Scottish higher system. But if you're doing maximum maths (i.e. as much as is offered), then you can apply. If you're doing standard maths + physics only, then you're going to be at a considerable disadvantage.

You should also be aware that there are two pathways into physics. You can do maths for the first year then switch to Physics, or you can do Natural Sciences in the first year then switch to Physics. The choice is yours, but the maths option is pretty difficult because Maths at Cambridge is... well, Maths at Cambridge.

If you're more confident in the applied-physics side, NatSci may be a better option. But again, going in with only Maths and Physics is questionable (but this isn't a problem if you're doing double Maths).

Since I want to apply to Durham and UCL, I'll consider it worthwhile then. :tongue: Haha you should be, it's a good achievement! And I can tell you have good taste by the fact you have Sigur Ros in your sig. :wink:

Latest