The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kidioteque
As the thread for 2012 applicants was created at about this time last year (and the Oxford sub-forum has one too :wink: ), I figured it was about time somebody set up a thread for 2013 applicants. :smile:

Obviously some of us will be waiting to find out AS UMS scores before committing (me included), but I thought it might be good to use the thread as a place to gain motivation and chat with other prospective applicants.

If you wish to be added to the Cambridge Applicants for 2013 Stalking IPage, just write your relevant information (course, AS Levels taken, academics, colleges being considered) in a post with me quoted in, and I'll add you to the list when I get the chance. If you feel comfortable with the wiki editing format, by all means add yourself to the table.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

ah I wish I'd discovered TSR before! Hope it's not too late to add in my name! :cute:

Course: Medicine :smile:
AS-Levels: Biology, Chemistry, English Lit, Maths, English Language.
Academics: 10A* at IGCSE/GCSE and an A at Spanish AS.

As for the college I'm considering, I'm finding it so hard to choose! My top choice at the minute is Downing, but everyone seems to say such nice things about Emma, so that seems worth looking at too :tongue:
Reply 561
Original post by Kidioteque
Okay, I've done as many people as I can find in the "Who Quoted Me" list on my homepage. I have inevitably missed out lots of people, so either quote me into your post and I'll edit it in when I get the chance, or, providing you're comfortable with the editing format, feel free to add yourself to the table.

Hi, I'm relatively new to TSR so if you could edit in my details that would be great

Course: Modern and Medieval Languages (French and Italian ab initio)
College: Queens'/Trinity
GCSE Grades: 4A*s, 9As
AS Levels: English Lit, History, French, Philosophy of Religion
Extras: EPQ

thank you :smile:
Original post by louisjevans
HELLO:smile:

Course: Physical NatSci (geological sci)
College preference: churchill
GCSE's: 5A* 5A 1B 1 distinction
AS subjects: maths, physics, geology, chemistry
AS jan ums: physics unit 1 120/120, geology unit 2 150/150, maths c1 97/100, chem unit 1 78/90
Predicted AS: AAAA

I'm curious and considering sitting Geology A-level next January (all 4 exams) on OCR. What is it like, and what resources can you point me towards, other than the textbook and the OCR website? If any.

As well, what is the coursework like, I'm going to have to find a college that will let me enter as a private candidate, as my current college doesn't offer the course... Unless I can convince one of the geography teachers to help me out.. :colone:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 563
Original post by Mnemosyne
Hi, I'm relatively new to TSR so if you could edit in my details that would be great

Another linguist at last! :woo:
Reply 564
Original post by Mnemosyne

Original post by smallerthanmost
ah I wish I'd discovered TSR before! Hope it's not too late to add in my name! :cute:

As for the college I'm considering, I'm finding it so hard to choose! My top choice at the minute is Downing, but everyone seems to say such nice things about Emma, so that seems worth looking at too :tongue:

Added. Good luck to you both :smile:
Reply 565

welcome to TSR :hi:
Original post by oli_G
welcome to TSR :hi:

Thankyou! :biggrin: It's so nice to know there are people who actually care about their studies out there :wink:
Thankyou! :biggrin: It's so nice to know there are people who actually care about their studies out there :wink:

I completely agree... the people in my lessons, honestly, I don't know why they even turn up :rolleyes:
That's why I want to apply to Cambridge :biggrin:
Original post by Starfruit
I completely agree... the people in my lessons, honestly, I don't know why they even turn up :rolleyes:
That's why I want to apply to Cambridge :biggrin:

Oh I get you, I'm desperate to be around like-minded people! :biggrin: Trust me, I'm abroad, and half of the people at my school would much rather be out smoking something dubious, I'm sure :s-smilie:
Hello there! :biggrin:

Hope it's not too late to add in my entry :rolleyes:

Course: History
AS Levels: History, Drama, Music, French, Spanish, Extended Project
GCSEs: 2 A*s, 3 As, several Bs :frown:

Ye, my GCSEs aren't that great, and I have a feeling that will hinder my chances of getting in. I only realised I wanted to study History at somewhere like Cambridge when I visited and fell in love with the city :tongue:
As for colleges, my dream college is Magdalene. Small and beautiful college :bubbles: in the city centre
Thanks for the thread!!!!
Original post by Shakespearian
Hello there! :biggrin:

Hope it's not too late to add in my entry :rolleyes:

Course: History
AS Levels: History, Drama, Music, French, Spanish, Extended Project
GCSEs: 2 A*s, 3 As, several Bs :frown:

Ye, my GCSEs aren't that great, and I have a feeling that will hinder my chances of getting in. I only realised I wanted to study History at somewhere like Cambridge when I visited and fell in love with the city :tongue:
As for colleges, my dream college is Magdalene. Small and beautiful college :bubbles: in the city centre
Thanks for the thread!!!!

Remember grades are just one part of the application :smile:
Cambridge have been known to reject people with 12 A*s and accept people with none.

If you love your subject, there's no reason not to go for it :smile:
Remember grades are just one part of the application :smile:
Cambridge have been known to reject people with 12 A*s and accept people with none.

If you love your subject, there's no reason not to go for it :smile:

Thank you, I have heard so many people tell me that I should apply anyway, yet I still worry :tongue:
I do love History with all my heart - I aim to replace Richard Evans as Professor of Modern History - a high ambition :redface:
What subject are you applying for?
Original post by Shakespearian
Thank you, I have heard so many people tell me that I should apply anyway, yet I still worry :tongue:
I do love History with all my heart - I aim to replace Richard Evans as Professor of Modern History - a high ambition :redface:
What subject are you applying for?

Linguistics! :biggrin:
Most underrated subject EVER!
Good ambition, I think I'd love to be a professor-researcher type person too :smile:
Reply 573
Why's everyone think they're too late , I mean we don't even apply for like another 6 months, and we've already got more people on the stalking page than most of the 2012 applicants stalking pages :P
Reply 574
Original post by CatBrearley
Well I have enough :L :smile: haha well, in all honesty I spent ages manipulating the stats data to work out which would be the easiest for me to get into considering that, yes I am, the person who is only going to apply to Cambridge :L So I kind of need to do everything in my power to get in

Well, just on looking further into the women's colleges, I really like Newnham :biggrin: But on the open day I may change my mind to Murray Edwards. It is out of those two definitely for me :smile:

I am current member of Murray Edwards college, and was a direct applicant there too, so feel free to ask any questions!

I also have friends at Newnham, and they love it there, so either decision you make, I am sure you would enjoy it.
I would like to apply, but I'm going to wait has see what my grades, I'm a Medicine re-aplicant, I didn't get any offers this year and it may be very risky for me to apply to Cambridge, I would absolutely love to go though :smile:
Just came back from an Easter residential program at Caius, I'm now confused about both course and college... :confused: GAAH.
Reply 577
Original post by fountains
I am current member of Murray Edwards college, and was a direct applicant there too, so feel free to ask any questions!

I also have friends at Newnham, and they love it there, so either decision you make, I am sure you would enjoy it.

I'm sure you get asked all the time, but why did you choose a women's college?
Linguistics! :biggrin:
Most underrated subject EVER!
Good ambition, I think I'd love to be a professor-researcher type person too :smile:

Hahaa indeed it is underrated, with all this globalisation of the english language. I LOVE speaking languages!! :biggrin: good luck with your application! Which college are you considering??
Original post by Etoile
Well spotted, yeah they are!
I found out today that I got onto the two week course in Germany so hopefully my accent will improve :ahee:
Awesome! It's good to be a teenager sometimes, as my mum tells me :colondollar:
The Oxbridge teacher at my college wants me to do as much of my EPQ as possible during the summer holidays so that I can do A2 Italian as well apparently :lolwut:
Ah cool :smile: With science I suppose it must be difficult to get things outside of the curriculum. Do you not want any hobbies though?

Yay! Well done! :woo: That'll be great. :biggrin: What does it involve?
Haha, yeah.
Oh, that sounds like a good idea though. Nice to be wanted. :tongue:
Oh, well I play piano but that's just for fun as I can't play at all well, and then I spend quite a reasonable amount of time reading, and if I meet up with friends it usually involves going to the cinema or going shopping. I'm not exactly a sporty or arty person. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending