Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Cambridge Applicants for 2013 Entry

Announcements Posted on
What are your mock exam revision tips?! Share them with our year 10 & 11 students! 19-11-2014
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bdockery)
    I'm applying for Law at Downing or King's College.
    Doing the IB (HL: Biology, Chemistry, Economics and SL: Maths, English Lit and French B)
    You're applying for Law and you have Biology and Chemistry at HL?! Wow... how's that? And why such a combination if you don't want to do a degree in anything science related?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lastlullabyy)
    You're applying for Law and you have Biology and Chemistry at HL?! Wow... how's that? And why such a combination if you don't want to do a degree in anything science related?
    I know right Well see when I started the IB I wasn't sure If I was going to do Law or Medicine, and since medicine needs Chem and Bio at HL and I don't really find those subjects difficult I thought why not? Well it wasn't one of my finest decisions but I do enjoy them and I know I can get good grades in them (I hope ) I probably should have taken history, but all the history students have no time for any other subjects and I would have found hard to give up all my time to one subject.
    I'd have like to study medicine as I like science but I don't want to become a doctor so that was that. I really like law though and I've done some work experience which was great, that really made my mind up.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well that's good then One of my friend had the same situation... He has the same subjects as I have (Biology, Chemistry, English B HLs and Psychology, Polish A1 and Maths SLs) but now he regrets and suffers a lot... Since it's nearly end of IB1, he can't change it... Well, life is life

Good that you figured it out now, not in a Med School... That you don't want to be a doctor, I mean

I wanted to study Law really badly... But then I fell in love with Medicine...
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenonsteroids)
    It's just in general while speaking, I remember it while writing for the most part but speaking it just flies out of my head :lol:

For English I spend 20 - 30 minutes reading and analysing the poem and then write a load of rubbish for the time remaining
    Because speaking is harder! I swear another world exists as soon as someone expects you to start formulating an argument or whatever and everything you know leaves your head :lol:
    Ahh cool Is it just poetry then?

(Original post by --emma--)
    Oh, that sounds so good! It'll be such good practice. :awesome:
    Wise choice. :lol:
    Haha, I really do but I don't mind - it's still fun. Really? Never been seen as that normal before - I'm pretty much the nerdiest person in my school.
    It will! :ahee: Shame it has to be after the oral, but I can pick up a nice accent for my hopeful interview and of course A2
    Come at me, extended essay about language and linguistics. :sexface:
    It is fun! What kinds of things do you like playing?
    Being a nerd is a good thing :yep: You just do normal things in your free time

(Original post by Shakespearian)
    I would LOVE to learn Italian and Greek!! J'adore parler le francais et l'espagnol aussi which college you looking at?
    Génial! Italian is relatively easy because it's similar to French, and I guess Spanish. So many languages and so little time! At the moment I'm leaning towards Pembroke, but Emma is definitely still in the running - I need to look around them. What about you?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etoile)
    It will! :ahee: Shame it has to be after the oral, but I can pick up a nice accent for my hopeful interview and of course A2
    Come at me, extended essay about language and linguistics. :sexface:
    It is fun! What kinds of things do you like playing?
    Being a nerd is a good thing :yep: You just do normal things in your free time
    Yeah, and exam boards are usually pretty lenient with accents.
    :lol: What do you think your title will be?
    I've been looking at the courses at Durham and in the Natural Sciences one you can take other modules - I think if I went there I'd either do two module of Spanish or do Spanish and another language...:ahee:
    Oh, well, I kind of had a huge break and started playing again about a week ago but I'm currently finishing off River Flows in You by Yiruma.
    Haha, thanks. Yeah, if you count playing Scrabble in Spanish with your dad normal. :lol:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:

Génial! Italian is relatively easy because it's similar to French, and I guess Spanish. So many languages and so little time! At the moment I'm leaning towards Pembroke, but Emma is definitely still in the running - I need to look around them. What about you?
    Aww both colleges are so pretty. I loved the duckpond at Emma all the cute ducks! haha but atm it's between Corpus Christi and Magdalene. They're both small and pretty :bubbles: and in the city centre. I'll probably look round as many colleges as possible on the open day :rolleyes: which open day are you going to??
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm Lucy :hello:
    I'm 90% set on applying to Cambridge, the 10% left depends on AS UMS and my BMAT score.

Course: Medicine
    AS Levels: Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Physics and Philosophy & Ethics (Predicted 5A's)
    Academics: 12 A*
    Colleges being considered: Trinity, Emma, Clare, Gonville & Caius
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shakespearian)
    Aww both colleges are so pretty. I loved the duckpond at Emma all the cute ducks! haha but atm it's between Corpus Christi and Magdalene. They're both small and pretty :bubbles: and in the city centre. I'll probably look round as many colleges as possible on the open day :rolleyes: which open day are you going to??
    I know right! :ahee: Those are both so pretty too! I'm going to the open days of those two colleges but I don't know which of the university days I'm going to - I think my college is doing it as a big group so I'll find out next friday. Maybe we'll see people from TSR there! :ahee:

(Original post by --emma--)
    Yeah, and exam boards are usually pretty lenient with accents.
    :lol: What do you think your title will be?
    I've been looking at the courses at Durham and in the Natural Sciences one you can take other modules - I think if I went there I'd either do two module of Spanish or do Spanish and another language...:ahee:
    Oh, well, I kind of had a huge break and started playing again about a week ago but I'm currently finishing off River Flows in You by Yiruma.
    Haha, thanks. Yeah, if you count playing Scrabble in Spanish with your dad normal. :lol:
    That is reassuring :lol:
    Something along the lines of "Is a single world language viable, or desirable? Discuss." But I need to run it past my teacher, he might suggest I do something about literature instead.
    Oooh nice! Which other were you thinking of?
    You definitely can't be bad then, it's not exactly an overly simple piece
    That is nice :') But how do you do the other letters?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Helloo, I've only just considered the prospect of applying to cambridge, due to the fact that I didn't get straight A*s at GCSE and that i've outdone myself in my recent modules, but anyway :

Course: Computer Science
    AS levels : Economics, Chemistry, Physics, Maths(A in jan, A2 in summer), Further Maths , Welsh Bac. (Predicted As)
    Academics: 3A*7A
    Colleges being considered : Clare
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    That is reassuring :lol:
    Something along the lines of "Is a single world language viable, or desirable? Discuss." But I need to run it past my teacher, he might suggest I do something about literature instead.
    Oooh nice! Which other were you thinking of?
    You definitely can't be bad then, it's not exactly an overly simple piece
    That is nice :') But how do you do the other letters?
    :lol:
    Ooh, sounds a good one. I'm assuming that you'll be arguing that it's not desirable?
    Well I did French to GCSE and they have a module which is designed for people who dropped it then, so I could pick that up again, or I could go for a completely new language like Italian or Mandarin. So many choices...:awesome:
    Haha, it's taken me a while. :lol:
    We use n to be n with a tilda as well (I can't get accents on here) and just use two l's to make the ll. We ignore the really uncommon ones like x and y. And we ignore accents too.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D'ya Get Meh?)
    Helloo, I've only just considered the prospect of applying to cambridge, due to the fact that I didn't get straight A*s at GCSE and that i've outdone myself in my recent modules, but anyway :

AS levels : Economics, Chemistry, Physics, Maths(A in jan, A2 in summer), Further Maths , Welsh Bac. (Predicted As)
    Yay another CompSci

What are you considering for your first year options?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iCiaran)
    Yay another CompSci

What are you considering for your first year options?
    hey I was wondering if there was anyone considering the tiny amount that get admitted

I was considering doing double maths, but I'm not sure whether I'll have the nerve to do the step exams if it comes to it :/
    so I'll probably go with physics

What about you ?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    hey I was wondering if there was anyone considering the tiny amount that get admitted

I was considering doing double maths, but I'm not sure whether I'll have the nerve to do the step exams if it comes to it :/
    so I'll probably go with physics

What about you ?
    I was thinking about going just with maths aswell, but I'm not 100% because of STEP , same as you :P I'll probably go for it in the end though...
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:

I don't understand where this "must get all A*s to stand a chance" mumbo-jumbo comes from. GCSEs are such a tiny part of the application, I'm sure that even if you got some As, and mostly Bs and Cs, if you had good AS UMS (>90%) then you are on a level field with people who got straight A*s.

Glad for another CompSci, it is such an interesting subject, I almost applied for it myself!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oromis263)
    I don't understand where this "must get all A*s to stand a chance" mumbo-jumbo comes from. GCSEs are such a tiny part of the application, I'm sure that even if you got some As, and mostly Bs and Cs, if you had good AS UMS (>90%) then you are on a level field with people who got straight A*s.

Glad for another CompSci, it is such an interesting subject, I almost applied for it myself!
    Yes I agree. I think GCSEs only really become a problem if you've actually failed quite a few. And not "failed" as in TSR failed (an A) but "failed" as in a D or below.

GCSEs are also a concern for anyone mad enough to consider Medicine, God rest your souls.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llewellyn)
    Yes I agree. I think GCSEs only really become a problem if you've actually failed quite a few. And not "failed" as in TSR failed (an A) but "failed" as in a D or below.

GCSEs are also a concern for anyone mad enough to consider Medicine, God rest your souls.
    Of course, Medicine is the only exception. May they ever be remembered.

I couldn't imagine getting 4 rejections, and that being relatively normal.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llewellyn)
    And not "failed" as in TSR failed (an A) but "failed" as in a D or below.
    You have a point about that observation! It's rather shocking but nevertheless true.
    Does this mentality only exist in the Oxbridge threads or in the others as well? :eek:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh Lady)
    You have a point about that observation! It's rather shocking but nevertheless true.
    Does this mentality only exist in the Oxbridge threads or in the others as well? :eek:
    It appears to exist almost forum-wide. It is almost sickening really.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Etoile;37128030]I know right! :ahee: Those are both so pretty too! I'm going to the open days of those two colleges but I don't know which of the university days I'm going to - I think my college is doing it as a big group so I'll find out next friday. Maybe we'll see people from TSR there! :ahee:[QUOTE]

Hahaa that would be soo hilarious :ahee: don't know which open day I'm going to, but I'm staying in Trinity college for a week for a choral course I'm guessing your two languages would be French and Italian??
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oromis263)
    Of course, Medicine is the only exception. May they ever be remembered.

I couldn't imagine getting 4 rejections, and that being relatively normal.
    Exactly! Don't do drugs medicine kids.
    (Original post by Welsh Lady)
    Most threads. The internet does have its fair share of narcissists, idiots and liars.
Updated: November 8, 2012
New on TSR

A-level mocks revision

Chat about your study tips

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.