The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Hi, I have no idea how to add myself to the other page, with the list of applicants and stuff, and it says on there to post my details here and someone would do it for me? much appreciated whoever can do it :smile:

Applying for Maths, Pembroke, studying Maths, FM, Chemistry and Economics, GCSEs 10 A*s, 1 A, A in FSMQ Maths, A in AS Crit Thinking, current UMS of average 100% :biggrin: across 3 january AS modules

Thanks to whoever has the time and ability to edit pages haha :smile:
Original post by Llewellyn
Yes EngLit AS, should be interesting.

My school doesn't cash in anything until the end of year 13 (not even AS), so I guess the pressures off a little (except for Cambridge). Good luck to you too though :smile:

You're doing way too many subjects!

I don't even know when my school cashes my grades. What difference does it make? :/
Reply 642
Original post by Mr Tough
Hi, I have no idea how to add myself to the other page, with the list of applicants and stuff, and it says on there to post my details here and someone would do it for me? much appreciated whoever can do it :smile:

Applying for Maths, Pembroke, studying Maths, FM, Chemistry and Economics, GCSEs 10 A*s, 1 A, A in FSMQ Maths, A in AS Crit Thinking, current UMS of average 100% :biggrin: across 3 january AS modules

Thanks to whoever has the time and ability to edit pages haha :smile:

Added you in :smile:

Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l

I don't even know when my school cashes my grades. What difference does it make? :/

If you count General Studies I'll have 7 ASs although one of them was in year 10, I've never thought to count before and it seems pretty excessive now I actually look xD

Wish general wasn't compulsory at my school...
(edited 12 years ago)

It means Universities won't see any of my AS or A2 grades (except Cambridge via the SAQ) unless I put them in my personal statement (or reference).

So that takes the pressure off slightly. Still, resits are a bad, bad idea. I'm struggling to keep on top of my current modules with more limited time (now its summer) I really can't afford to let anything slip.
Original post by iCiaran
If you count General Studies I'll have 7 ASs although one of them was in year 10, I've never thought to count before and it seems pretty excessive now I actually look xD

Wish general wasn't compulsory at my school...

WOW that just sounds really excessive :/ So what subjects are you doing? :smile:

What's general studies even about?

It means Universities won't see any of my AS or A2 grades (except Cambridge via the SAQ) unless I put them in my personal statement (or reference).

So that takes the pressure off slightly. Still, resits are a bad, bad idea. I'm struggling to keep on top of my current modules with more limited time (now its summer) I really can't afford to let anything slip.

Ah I see; that does sound pretty good! Well if you mess up at least.

It doesn't really take the pressure off, because we're still applying to Cambridge :biggrin:
Hmm yh the same things going on with me. The easter holidays have just been a distraction from learning for me.
Original post by Mr Tough
current UMS of average 100% :biggrin: across 3 january AS modules

I'm so jealous :frown: going into year 12, my goal was to get 100% in my top 3. I've already ruined that with C2 (in the stupidest of ways, I forgot to turn over the page so I missed out a question.:cry2:)

My teacher also laughed when I asked to resit :unimpressed:
Reply 646
WOW that just sounds really excessive :/ So what subjects are you doing? :smile:

What's general studies even about?

I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Electronics, Computing and General at the moment, got a B in AS Business Studies in year 10.

Don't do any F. Maths exams til next year when all the maths is out of the way so that doesn't really count I suppose , and because I do Further Maths I don't actually have any General Studies lessons...

Right now all I know about it is not respected by many unis, most unis give the offer "Excluding general studies" most people just say it's common sense and as long as you read newspapers / watch the news in the weeks running up to the exam then you should do fine...

Apparently you can also make up quotes which could be entertaining, "Bob from down the pub said...." xD

It doesn't really take the pressure off, because we're still applying to Cambridge :biggrin:

I'll apply to Cambridge if I do well. I'm not going in with the mentality that I need to do well so I can apply.

It may seem a subtle difference but the former feels nicer and a more natural (conditional) progression rather than the latter's supposed forced ultimatum. I won't do well because Cambridge wants me to, I'll do well for the sake of doing well.

Yeah, I'm completely nuts, don't worry :biggrin:
Reply 648
I'll apply to Cambridge if I do well. I'm not going in with the mentality that I need to do well so I can apply.

The former is how I wish I felt; the latter is how I actually feel. Gah.

I had that with my FP2 exam in January, it was a very difficult exam, but to be fair, I should have got full marks, so I told him I'd like to resit. The rest of my class got like 20-30 marks less, so he could understand them resitting, but he was just like "You're crazy, why?!"
Original post by Kidioteque
The former is how I wish I felt; the latter is how I actually feel. Gah.

In my honest opinion, apply either way, as I'm sure that if you've even considered it, you're the type of person who will do well anyway.

A friend of mine got in with AABB this year (albeit for ASNAC), but still.
Reply 651
Original post by Oromis263
In my honest opinion, apply either way, as I'm sure that if you've even considered it, you're the type of person who will do well anyway.

A friend of mine got in with AABB this year (albeit for ASNAC), but still.

Cheers for the kind words. Just feel like if I'm not hitting 90+% then I'll be at a biiiiiig disadvantage, and that the rest of my application probably won't be amazing enough to counter balance it. I'd like to think I'd be okay in interview, but it's so hard to predict that.

How's your revision coming along?
Original post by Kidioteque
Cheers for the kind words. Just feel like if I'm not hitting 90+% then I'll be at a biiiiiig disadvantage, and that the rest of my application probably won't be amazing enough to counter balance it. I'd like to think I'd be okay in interview, but it's so hard to predict that.

How's your revision coming along?

Alright, I've finished my physics coursework-ish, finally. Well, the essay is finished, but I have to prepare the presentation. I've done a set of notes for physics G494, and part of G495, and just starting Chemistry F325. In terms of maths, I've done nothing! :biggrin:

Yours?
I'm so jealous :frown: going into year 12, my goal was to get 100% in my top 3. I've already ruined that with C2 (in the stupidest of ways, I forgot to turn over the page so I missed out a question.:cry2:)

same :frown:, stupid mistakes in both C1 and S1 :angry:, but theres still hope for economics :smile:
Disappointingly few English applicants for me to give sage/patronising advice to so far...
Reply 655
I had that with my FP2 exam in January, it was a very difficult exam, but to be fair, I should have got full marks, so I told him I'd like to resit. The rest of my class got like 20-30 marks less, so he could understand them resitting, but he was just like "You're crazy, why?!"

My friend is in a similar situation - she got a good A in FP4 in January, and is going to resit the exam, along with the other 2 students in the class who got D and E grades.
Reply 656
Original post by Shakespearian
Hahaa that would be soo hilarious :ahee: don't know which open day I'm going to, but I'm staying in Trinity college for a week for a choral course :biggrin: I'm guessing your two languages would be French and Italian?? :tongue:

Ooh awesome!!! I always wondered who got the choral scholarships, must be people like you :tongue: What part do you sing?
Nope, French and German. :sexface: Although if you could do three I might have done Italian in addition :lol:

Original post by --emma--
:lol:
Ooh, sounds a good one. I'm assuming that you'll be arguing that it's not desirable?
Well I did French to GCSE and they have a module which is designed for people who dropped it then, so I could pick that up again, or I could go for a completely new language like Italian or Mandarin. So many choices...:awesome:
Haha, it's taken me a while. :lol:
We use n to be n with a tilda as well (I can't get accents on here) and just use two l's to make the ll. We ignore the really uncommon ones like x and y. And we ignore accents too. :smile:

That will be my ultimate conclusion, but I think I can actually argue both sides to an extent :colone:
Oooh awesome! Mandarin has so much to remember :sadnod:
Practice makes perfect!
Ahh cool :smile: Moro found an Arabic version though so I expect you could always get a Spanish one if you wanted :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 657
Alright, I've finished my physics coursework-ish, finally. Well, the essay is finished, but I have to prepare the presentation. I've done a set of notes for physics G494, and part of G495, and just starting Chemistry F325. In terms of maths, I've done nothing! :biggrin:

Yours?

At least you sound reasonably organised! Your A2 grades so far look great so I'm sure you just need to keep doing what you're doing :smile:

I'm struggling to get motivated, and there's just so much History to cover. *feeling sorry for myself*

Original post by Shakespearian
I'm staying in Trinity college for a week for a choral course

Do make sure you let me know how you find it, it's very high on my shortlist at the moment. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 658
Original post by iCiaran
Added you in :smile:

Thanks very much :smile:
Reply 659
Early days yet but any potential Christ's applicants? :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending