The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cz100
Early days yet but any potential Christ's applicants? :biggrin:

Quite honestly, I don't fancy showering at the library... :wink:

I took them off my list quite early, a friend applied there last year, and from what they told me about the interview and the place, I was unsure. That, and it's extremely competitive and academic. ^_^
Original post by Kidioteque
At least you sound reasonably organised! Your A2 grades so far look great so I'm sure you just need to keep doing what you're doing :smile:

I'm struggling to get motivated, and there's just so much History to cover. *feeling sorry for myself*

Wish I could have taken so many more A-levels! I loved History at GCSE, mainly because one of the teachers told me I was going to fail because I made a sarcastic comment when she got something wrong in a revision session. Destroyed that summer exam. :cool:

Then again, in my gap year, I'm doing: AS and A2 Geology, Additional Further Maths AS, AEA Maths and possibly STEP I. :biggrin:

I'm just looking forward to receiving my pile of past papers, equivalent to half a small forest's worth of paper. ^_^
Reply 662
Original post by Oromis263
Quite honestly, I don't fancy showering at the library... :wink:

I took them off my list quite early, a friend applied there last year, and from what they told me about the interview and the place, I was unsure. That, and it's extremely competitive and academic. ^_^

:lol: I found that quite funny actually. I didn't know anything about the history of the colleges when I first got the prospectus, perhaps it's to Christ's advantage they are first alphabetically but as soon as I came across it and saw the picture of the accommodation room I just thought 'I want to go there!'. None of the other colleges made the same impression with me, plus I love the location!
Original post by cz100
:lol: I found that quite funny actually. I didn't know anything about the history of the colleges when I first got the prospectus, perhaps it's to Christ's advantage they are first alphabetically but as soon as I came across it and saw the picture of the accommodation room I just thought 'I want to go there!'. None of the other colleges made the same impression with me, plus I love the location!

I was the same last year, but with Trinity Hall! :love:

Alas, I'm having to choose somewhere else this year.
Original post by Etoile

Hey, I'm not applying for linguistics, it's MML for me but the linguistic aspect of the course is what attracts me to it and if you could combine them believe me I would. :tongue: What I recommend is reading around the subject! Get some books from the library - things like The Language Instinct (Pinker), How Language Works (Crystal) or some kind of introductory book would make a good start, don't jump into Chomsky straightaway! :lol: You could also do what I do and stalk the linguistics articles on Wikipedia :colondollar: From what you've said though, it sounds like linguistics would be an ideal match :h:

Hey, thanks for replying! :smile:
I will look into those books! I asked at my school library but they don't have any linguistics books as they generally stock up the non-fiction section just with texts which are related to the taught subjects :frown:
My local library is pretty small so I'll see if they can order one for me, if the worst comes to the worst I'll have to buy some on Amazon :s-smilie:

I visited Cambridge a few weeks ago with my school and we spoke to a guy doing a PHD there - in linguistics! He said that it did sound like it could suit me too so that is quite encouraging :smile:

Which parts of linguistics are you most interested in? It's so broad!!
Original post by Etoile
That will be my ultimate conclusion, but I think I can actually argue both sides to an extent :colone:
Oooh awesome! Mandarin has so much to remember :sadnod:
Practice makes perfect!
Ahh cool :smile: Moro found an Arabic version though so I expect you could always get a Spanish one if you wanted :tongue:

Thought so. :lol:
Mm, it's more likely that I'll do 2 module of Spanish, or one of French and one of Spanish.
:lol:
Oh, that's pretty cool. Yeah, I probably could if I could be bothered. :tongue:
I've not talked to anyone on the old thread (except for you, MissEG, Heptapus and Kalliope) for so long! I realy should go on and say hello again. :lol:
Reply 666
Original post by cz100

I was in love with Christ's until I found out that the big ugly grey building belongs to them. Then they were wiped off my list :tongue:

Original post by Florence321
Hey, thanks for replying! :smile:
I will look into those books! I asked at my school library but they don't have any linguistics books as they generally stock up the non-fiction section just with texts which are related to the taught subjects :frown:
My local library is pretty small so I'll see if they can order one for me, if the worst comes to the worst I'll have to buy some on Amazon :s-smilie:

I visited Cambridge a few weeks ago with my school and we spoke to a guy doing a PHD there - in linguistics! He said that it did sound like it could suit me too so that is quite encouraging :smile:

Which parts of linguistics are you most interested in? It's so broad!!

Ahh that's a shame! Do you do English language? I think a lot of that is linguistic related so if you don't you could look up resources on the internet and see what kind of topics there are or something.
Ooh cool, what what he doing it on?
I'm really fascinated by child language acquisition and bilingualism, as well as things like sociolinguistics and psycholinguistics :h: I find it so amazing how we can look at these squiggles on a page or hear a certain order of sounds and infer meaning from it! And how depending on where you live, you might get meaning and you might not because you understand language differently. So good. :coma:
Reply 667
Original post by Etoile
I was in love with Christ's until I found out that the big ugly grey building belongs to them. Then they were wiped off my list :tongue:

Aww do you mean the blocks at the back?
Reply 668
Original post by cz100
Aww do you mean the blocks at the back?

This one:
1-works-completed.jpg

It's just so ugly >.<

Original post by --emma--
Thought so. :lol:
Mm, it's more likely that I'll do 2 module of Spanish, or one of French and one of Spanish.
:lol:
Oh, that's pretty cool. Yeah, I probably could if I could be bothered. :tongue:
I've not talked to anyone on the old thread (except for you, MissEG, Heptapus and Kalliope) for so long! I really should go on and say hello again. :lol:

Linguistic diversity is important! :tongue:
By the end you will be completely fluent :yep:
The thread has been really dead lately :sad:
Reply 669
Original post by cz100

They are on my shortlist! :smile: Just a bit daunted by how much competition there is.
They are on my shortlist! :smile: Just a bit daunted by how much competition there is.

What does your shortlist look like now? I've still only whittled mine down to:

Clare
Corpus Christi
Emma
Homerton
King's
Pembroke
and still clinging to Trinity Hall :frown: but I'm sure it'll eventually be knocked off.
For the scientists among us:

[video="youtube;9D05ej8u-gU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9D05ej8u-gU#![/video]

But also for anyone else, just wow.
Anyone who's considering Peterhouse?
Original post by lastlullabyy
Anyone who's considering Peterhouse?

I have an offer from Peterhouse this year (for 2012 entry) if you wanna know anything about it.
Reply 674
What does your shortlist look like now? I've still only whittled mine down to:

Clare
Corpus Christi
Emma
Homerton
King's
Pembroke
and still clinging to Trinity Hall :frown: but I'm sure it'll eventually be knocked off.

Well it's seemingly ever-changing, and I'm having a few problems with whittling mine down too, but at the moment it's looking like:

Christ's
Emma
Gonville & Caius
Magdalene
Pembroke
Trinity

I'm also vaguely flirting with the idea of King's. :lol:

What's the criteria you're loosely using to narrow down the colleges? :smile:
For the scientists among us:

But also for anyone else, just wow.

I think i've watched that a million times :daydreaming:
Well it's seemingly ever-changing, and I'm having a few problems with whittling mine down too, but at the moment it's looking like:

Christ's
Emma
Gonville & Caius
Magdalene
Pembroke
Trinity

I'm also vaguely flirting with the idea of King's. :lol:

What's the criteria you're loosely using to narrow down the colleges? :smile:

Well, on the spreadsheet I've created:

- Does it offer my course
- Location in respect to departments
- Appearance :colondollar:
- Library
- Size
- Ranking
- Entrance Tests
- Entrance Stats (ie, intake size etc)
- Accomodation

I think the ones I'm putting more weighting on are the location and size, with a dash of appearance and entrance stats >.<
Original post by chickenonsteroids
I think i've watched that a million times :daydreaming:

Another favourite of mine:

http://www.wimp.com/milkytimelapse/

:moon:
(edited 12 years ago)
Another favourite of mine:

http://www.wimp.com/milkytimelapse/

:moon:

I... I feel so calm :moon:
Reply 679
Well, on the spreadsheet I've created:

- Does it offer my course
- Location in respect to departments
- Appearance :colondollar:
- Library
- Size
- Ranking
- Entrance Tests
- Entrance Stats (ie, intake size etc)
- Accomodation

I think the ones I'm putting more weighting on are the location and size, with a dash of appearance and entrance stats >.<

Ah yes, those are all good factors. I've got a spreadsheet but at the moment it's just places for law, applications to offer percentage, offers through the pool, offers by other colleges and notable alumni (a bit of fun - I love the notion of studying at the same place as some of my favourite actors/authors/comedians/academics).

For ones such as appearance, have you just given them marks out of 10 or something? :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending