The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tooambitious
no, maths and frther are still one subject, 50th percentile applying for cambridge maths have 95% over the six modules and top 25th percentile have 97%

I didn't say they weren't one subject. I said if you're applying for maths, then non-maths (and non-physics) AS UMS isn't very important, which is implied in the maths admissions guide.

If anyone's applying or thinking of applying I'd suggest looking at that guide. I'm still flirting with the idea of Maths, but I think the decision hinges on how well I do in STEP I in June.
Original post by Junaid96
Do you mean me? I'm applying for philosophy :smile: I think I was put off maths because I haven't got marks like 98, 100, 99 etc.

Personally, I don't think UMS really matters too much. Especially at AS. The difference between 92 and 98 is often a silly mis-factorisation or silly sign slip. Don't be put off if you haven't white-washed every module.

Have you done any Olympiads (or similar competitions)? Have you tired STEP? I think these are the sort of things you should look into to see if you want to go further. UMS is a bit misleading of mathematical ability, especially at the very top end.
Original post by Llewellyn
Personally, I don't think UMS really matters too much. Especially at AS. The difference between 92 and 98 is often a silly mis-factorisation or silly sign slip. Don't be put off if you haven't white-washed every module.

Have you done any Olympiads (or similar competitions)? Have you tired STEP? I think these are the sort of things you should look into to see if you want to go further. UMS is a bit misleading of mathematical ability, especially at the very top end.

So my decision mark wouldn't hinder me? :colondollar: Sweetly ironic it will likely (hopefully! :rolleyes: M2!) be my worst AS maths module considering I'm actually really interesting in 'proper' discrete.
I didn't say they weren't one subject. I said if you're applying for maths, then non-maths (and non-physics) AS UMS isn't very important, which is implied in the maths admissions guide.

If anyone's applying or thinking of applying I'd suggest looking at that guide. I'm still flirting with the idea of Maths, but I think the decision hinges on how well I do in STEP I in June.

Apologies, yeah fair enough I suppose

I've had a go at a couple of STEP questions and I loved them :smile: Only got a couple right, but they were nicely challenging. That said, I only had a quick two minute bash at each one rather than the three hours or something which you'd get in the paper. Anyway, UMS marks were a kind of final factor to tell me I didn't want to do a full three years of pure maths. Before that I was fairly sure I didn't want to as I want to have a broader subject base. Studying Philosophy will allow me to look at mathematical logic, and allow the potential to switch to maths or economics part II later on. I'll also be going for PPE or Philosophy and Economics at other unis, which will contain huge amounts of maths. I'm hoping that my strong maths ability will be the persuasion the tutors need to give me an offer in a similarly logical subject such as philosophy or economics. Also, I haven't ruled out maths+philosophy at other universities, either, it's just economics+phil seems to be an even broader option which still allows me to study loads of maths.
(edited 11 years ago)
I've had a go at a couple of STEP questions and I loved them :smile: Only got a couple right, but they were nicely challenging. That said, I only had a quick two minute bash at each one rather than the three hours or something which you'd get in the paper. Anyway, UMS marks were a kind of final factor to tell me I didn't want to do a full three years of pure maths. Before that I was fairly sure I didn't want to as I want to have a broader subject base. Studying Philosophy will allow me to look at mathematical logic, and allow the potential to switch to maths or economics part II later on. I'll also be going for PPE or Philosophy and Economics at other unis, which will contain huge amounts of maths. I'm hoping that my strong maths ability will be the persuasion the tutors need to give me an offer in a similarly logical subject such as philosophy or economics. Also, I haven't ruled out maths+philosophy at other universities, either, it's just economics+phil seems to be an even broader option which still allows me to study loads of maths.

Why not PPE Oxford? if I may ask
Original post by Americaniamh
So my decision mark wouldn't hinder me? :colondollar: Sweetly ironic it will likely (hopefully! :rolleyes: M2!) be my worst AS maths module considering I'm actually really interesting in 'proper' discrete.

You got 90% and you're worried about that? :confused::confused::confused:

This forum...

No but seriously although you should aim very high, and you should go in trying to do your best, you do NOT have to get XY% to get an interview. There is no magical cut off. You just need to do well. The odd low-ish mark here or there means very little. But consistently not doing very well could reflect badly.

tooambitious
x

I didn't mean to be argumentative sorry, you do raise a valid point in that maths + further maths are considered under one subject, I just want newer/ more ignorant users to be very aware that slightly different rules apply to maths (and that is why STEP exists).
x.

That's completely fine, I just don't want anyone to make a choice for the wrong reasons ("bad" UMS).
(edited 11 years ago)
You got 90% and you're worried about that? :confused::confused::confused:

This forum...

I know it seems crazy but the stalking page is quite intimidating. :redface:

I didn't mean to be argumentative sorry, you do raise a valid point in that maths + further maths are considered under one subject, I just want newer/ more ignorant users to be very aware that slightly different rules apply to maths (and that is why STEP exists).

That's completely fine, I just don't want anyone to make a choice for the wrong reasons ("bad" UMS).

nono, not at all, i completely agree, feel free to correct me anytime :biggrin:
Original post by Kidioteque
The college as a whole or specifically for choral scholarships? I'm sure you'd have a great chance, regardless :smile: Looking forward to hearing about the college. Law, yourself?

Woow Law!! I admire people who read Law. Both - I find Trinity College too intimidating, though that's just me personally. Atm my dream college is either Magdalene or Corpus Christi :biggrin: Hoping to read History. Thanks - I like people like you!! :smile:
Why not PPE Oxford? if I may ask

That was an ideal course for me, but I fear I don't stand much of a chance at all, what with my 5.5 A* 5.5A GCSEs. I've been informed that I should ignore Oxford and go for Cambridge now. However, a lot of people here have been telling me to consider Oxford, so I'm starting to wonder..

PPE is very tough to get into though, so.. hmm. BAH. Can't decide.. help me out here :smile:
That was an ideal course for me, but I fear I don't stand much of a chance at all, what with my 5.5 A* 5.5A GCSEs. I've been informed that I should ignore Oxford and go for Cambridge now. However, a lot of people here have been telling me to consider Oxford, so I'm starting to wonder..

PPE is very tough to get into though, so.. hmm. BAH. Can't decide.. help me out here :smile:

Thanks to the TSA, your GCSEs probably won't matter very much, I think you should definitely consider it, also Oxforx will conte riskier your GCSEs so if they're good in relation to your school you have a good shot, also if you go to the Oxford 2013 thread, flute flute posted about how some people had offers despite relatively low grade, one guy had an E at AS and another fewer A*s than you and some Bs and both got offers, basically I don't think your gcses are poor enough to worry :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
... does anyone know how to add yourself to the 2013 Stalking page? :confused:
Original post by Shakespearian
... does anyone know how to add yourself to the 2013 Stalking page? :confused:

You can edit it just like any other wiki page (standard column precedence)
If you're not experienced then you can copypaste this, inserting (__) with your info (remove the () brackets though)

|-
||[(profile URL) (TSR name)]||(subject)||(college)||(GCSEs)||(AS subjects)||(UMS)||(Predictions)||-||-||(extras)

Please post in alphabetical order.

Or you can ask someone to do it for you :rolleyes: :tongue:
You can edit it just like any other wiki page (standard column precedence)
If you're not experienced then you can copypaste this, inserting (__) with your info (remove the () brackets though)

|-
||[(profile URL) (TSR name)]||(subject)||(college)||(GCSEs)||(AS subjects)||(UMS)||(Predictions)||-||-||(extras)

Please post in alphabetical order.

Or you can ask someone to do it for you :rolleyes: :tongue:

Thanks! Btw your GCSEs are mental/brilliant!! :tongue:
Reply 735
Hello,

I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge for History. Currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Modern History. Wondering if that subject combination will be looked favourably upon? I've heard Cambridge like maths and physics is respected but they also said on their website that another essay subject can be helpful. Also considering Oxford as alternative (I would rather go to Camb, but 10A* at GCSE might count for more at Oxford, especially considering my concerns about getting 90-95+ average UMS this year), so do Oxford like maths in the same way as Cambridge?

Torn between a few colleges, but that isn't my concern becuase I live in Cambridge and I have seen basically all of them and wouldn't be too fussed where I ended up if I were to get in (which is the main thing!); they are all pretty amazing.

Also, I'm going to the Pembroke open day on saturday! woo :smile:

cheers
Reply 736
Original post by Oglogski
Hello,

I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge for History. Currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Modern History. Wondering if that subject combination will be looked favourably upon? I've heard Cambridge like maths and physics is respected but they also said on their website that another essay subject can be helpful. Also considering Oxford as alternative (I would rather go to Camb, but 10A* at GCSE might count for more at Oxford, especially considering my concerns about getting 90-95+ average UMS this year), so do Oxford like maths in the same way as Cambridge?

Torn between a few colleges, but that isn't my concern becuase I live in Cambridge and I have seen basically all of them and wouldn't be too fussed where I ended up if I were to get in (which is the main thing!); they are all pretty amazing.

cheers

10 A*'s will impress Oxford a lot more than it will for Cambridge so my advice apply for Oxford unless you average 93% ums in your modules :smile:

A lot of this sounds like a really bad idea to me..first of all if you apply for both ppe and maths, something is going to be seriously off about your PS, so choose one or the other...PPE does not contain a lot of maths no matter how you cut it...you won't be able to switch into Part II maths at cambridge if you do economics before it...finally, I don't know if you realise this, but you come across as being pretty arrogant based on the posts of yours I've seen, and tbh your ums aren't exactly fantastic for maths so I don't know why you're so full of yourself
Original post by Oglogski
Hello,

cheers

You A levels are slightly unusual for a history applicant but all of those subjects are highly respected by all universities.

If you want to play the numbers game, then Oxford focus more on GCSEs and Cambridge more on AS levels (generally). That may affect your decision, especially as you did so well at GCSE. If you have any more complicated questions about subjects or anything it may be worth emailing the colleges
Thanks to the TSA, your GCSEs probably won't matter very much, I think you should definitely consider it, also Oxforx will conte riskier your GCSEs so if they're good in relation to your school you have a good shot, also if you go to the Oxford 2013 thread, flute flute posted about how some people had offers despite relatively low grade, one guy had an E at AS and another fewer A*s than you and some Bs and both got offers, basically I don't think your gcses are poor enough to worry :biggrin:

Cool thanks for the advice