The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
ogs
OP
Helenia
One of the three free meals we get while we're hear - the other two being matric dinner and graduation. It's in the middle of Lent/Hilary (why the hell is it called Hilary at Oxford?) term.

ogs, what college are you going to?

trinity hall...
Reply 41
ogs
OP
grey faerie
or from an oxford point of view, why the hell is it called Lent at Cambridge?! :tongue:

maybe due to the dates [sarcasm!]
Reply 42
grey faerie
or from an oxford point of view, why the hell is it called Lent at Cambridge?! :tongue:

Well, that makes sense, because Lent falls, or at least begins, within this term (usually). But what on earth is Hilary?

ogs - I'm afraid I don't know about gowns rules at Trinity Hall :frown:
Reply 43
ogs
OP
it's ok! its no good knowing everything before you start (in theory!) lol well erm... maybe it isn't! but i don't mind not going! just saw some pics of people in gowns and at least they are just black and white! lol!
i should imagine (from its image, the lazy laid back college!) that they probally aren't that fussed about it ! but i may be drawing to conclusions!
Reply 44
ogs
it's ok! its no good knowing everything before you start (in theory!) lol well erm... maybe it isn't! but i don't mind not going! just saw some pics of people in gowns and at least they are just black and white! lol!
i should imagine (from its image, the lazy laid back college!) that they probally aren't that fussed about it ! but i may be drawing to conclusions!

It may be laid back, but it is still an old college and as such may have traditions to be upheld. I'm going there for formal on Sunday - if you remember to ask me, I'll try and find out!
Reply 45
Helenia
Well, that makes sense, because Lent falls, or at least begins, within this term (usually). But what on earth is Hilary?

I think its to do with the legal calendar and legal terms - http://www.newsquarechambers.co.uk/termdatecalculator.htm

i'm a font of useless knowledge...
Reply 46
ogs
OP
i'll try to remember! have a good time! thankyou for being soo helpful! having bombarded you with questions!(I have a tendancy to do that!)<helena>

Latest

Trending

Trending