The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The annual Oxford tortoise race. The Magdalen tortoise Oscar wins every year, but gets disqualified because Oscar is actually a JCR committee member dressed up in a costume.

J.
Reply 2
hornblower
The annual Oxford tortoise race. The Magdalen tortoise Oscar wins every year, but gets disqualified because Oscar is actually a JCR committee member dressed up in a costume.

J.

http://jcr.magd.ox.ac.uk/committee/coopted.shtml#tortoise

:smile:
Reply 3

Yes I've seen many photos of the tortoise in action as well!
Reply 4
http://www.poohsoc.org.uk/sticks/

Pembroke's (Cam) pooh sticks competitions.
Reply 5
ogs
OP
that's what i like to hear! the fun stuff! :smile:
Reply 6
How about silly traditions, such as pelting your 'friends' with eggs and tins of baked beans when they come out of their final exams?? And wearing a batcape for dinner???
Reply 7
hildabeast
And wearing a batcape for dinner???

Not something I've ever really understood. The fact that people enjoy it even less so.
Reply 8
ogs
OP
keep um comming! lol! :biggrin:
Reply 9
hildabeast
And wearing a batcape for dinner???

The proper batcape is only for scholars whilst the commoner's gown is sleeveless, is it not?

We wear the scholar's gowns regularly whilst on prefect business; i wear a special blue one. :smile:

J.
Reply 10
hornblower
The proper batcape is only for scholars whilst the commoner's gown is sleeveless, is it not?

We wear the scholar's gowns regularly whilst on prefect business; i wear a special blue one. :smile:

J.

Gowns are different at each college. We have sleeves, and damn annoying they are too!
Reply 11
Helenia
Gowns are different at each college. We have sleeves, and damn annoying they are too!

at oxford the gowns are the same for all colleges - for undergrads there's the commoner's gown which is sleeveless, and the scholars gown (for getting a high first in mods or prelims or something) which has long sleeves.
Reply 12
grey faerie
at oxford the gowns are the same for all colleges - for undergrads there's the commoner's gown which is sleeveless, and the scholars gown (for getting a high first in mods or prelims or something) which has long sleeves.

Oh right. Probably a more sensible system, but it is kinda cool to have your own college identity though. Some gowns have arm slits though, so your sleeves don't trail in your food. Ours don't. :mad:

You still have to wear your gowns for exams though, don't you? :tongue:
there was some mention of assassins a while back. Maybe someone could tell us more about them

MB
Reply 14
Assasins are people who go around once a term shooting rubber band guns and water pistols at other assasins who have signed up for the game. Most of them don't know what the others look like and thus go around all term being extremely paranoid (opening post with gloves incase someone poisons them and opening doors from ten feet away with string incase someone has planted a bomb). The last person in Cambridge left alive wins. One of my best friends is an assasin and it is extremely funny watching him go into a panic everytime somebody knocks on his door.
Alex_R
Assasins are people who go around once a term shooting rubber band guns and water pistols at other assasins who have signed up for the game. Most of them don't know what the others look like and thus go around all term being extremely paranoid (opening post with gloves incase someone poisons them and opening doors from ten feet away with string incase someone has planted a bomb). The last person in Cambridge left alive wins. One of my best friends is an assasin and it is extremely funny watching him go into a panic everytime somebody knocks on his door.

We had a similar thing at my prep school, but it incorporated Lord of The Rings into it and no rubber bands and water pistols. People were issued with rings, to which they had to hide from others but had to wear at all times, whilst over a term had to complete tasks, the person to complete the most tasks won. At the end we all dressed up in Lord of the Rings stuff and had a banquet. It was quite fun, but then we were only 10.
hornblower

J.

I suppose its funny if you know them....
J
Reply 17
Alex_R

We found some of them waiting outside our rooms one morning - they were after a guy on the floor above, but had already been interrupted there (my friend came out and said, quite loudly "Are you waiting for.....?") so when I left my room to go to lectures in the morning they were stood looking up the stairs with suspicious grins - I asked them if they were waiting for someone and they said "Maybe :tongue:" so I was rather worried until it was explained to me later. We have some very obsessive assassins here though, and there is a Clare mafia who all protect each other...

Joey - I'd love to do the LotR thing! That would be more fun.
Joey_Johns
We had a similar thing at my prep school, but it incorporated Lord of The Rings into it and no rubber bands and water pistols. People were issued with rings, to which they had to hide from others but had to wear at all times, whilst over a term had to complete tasks, the person to complete the most tasks won. At the end we all dressed up in Lord of the Rings stuff and had a banquet. It was quite fun, but then we were only 10.

I signed up for assasins when i first came. sounded hilarious. Quick relisation though was it was a geeks game, which they all took very seriously. I know a guy who spent days making a HUGGGGGGE cardboard tank for gods sake
J
foolfarian
I signed up for assasins when i first came. sounded hilarious. Quick relisation though was it was a geeks game, which they all took very seriously. I know a guy who spent days making a HUGGGGGGE cardboard tank for gods sake
J

LOl. Indeed. Like I said, its ok when your about 10, not 19+!

Latest

Trending

Trending