Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would abortion be acceptable in this scenario?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Recently there was some stuff in the news about people getting abortions because of the sex of the baby etc. I know some people are against abortion and some say the mother can do what she likes and some don't really care, so what would everyone say to this.

Imagine scientists discover a 'gay gene' (you see where this is going). Now imagine science has advanced so much so that the doctor can tell you whether or not your son will be gay. Would it be morally acceptable to abort because of sexuality?

If it's acceptable to abort based on gender, does that mean this is ok too?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not acceptable to abort based on gender and nor would it be in your rather absurd hypothetical situation.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob da Mop)
    It's not acceptable to abort based on gender and nor would it be in your rather absurd hypothetical situation.
    Why did you neg me? I didn't state whether I was for or against
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. I'm torn between my pro-choice beliefs and my not being a homophobe beliefs.

I'm leaning towards saying no it's not acceptable though.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ROYP)
    Why did you neg me? I didn't state whether I was for or against
    I didn't :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You either legalise abortion or not.
    Muddling about in the murky waters of intention and motivation is complicated and ultimately impossible to discern.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Of course not.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    'I have not seen anything in the news at all about it being legal to abort because of gender.. whatsoever...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob da Mop)
    I didn't :confused:
    My mistake. Lucky for you I ran out of reps today so didn't succeed when I tried to revenge-neg your sorry ass
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    'I have not seen anything in the news at all about it being legal to abort because of gender.. whatsoever...
    Mustn't show it on MUTV

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17136213

also I don't care about legality. I'm talking morally.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Since when is it acceptable to abort based on gender. Your scenario is just stupid.

An arguement over whether abortion is acceptable when the child has been identified as having a disability such as down's syndrome is however a more worthwhile debate and one to which there is no real answer. Everyone will have their opinions but that doesn't make anyone else wrong.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Abortion is always acceptable.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ROYP)
    Mustn't show it on MUTV

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17136213

also I don't care about legality. I'm talking morally.
    /yawn.

Not legal, not allowed, thus cannot be used in the way you have used it.

"If it's acceptable to abort based on gender"

Sorry.. please inform me of how you came to the conclusion it is objectively acceptable? Given, as above, it is illegal

Thus you are using a lie as the basis of your point.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ROYP)
    Recently there was some stuff in the news about people getting abortions because of the sex of the baby etc. I know some people are against abortion and some say the mother can do what she likes and some don't really care, so what would everyone say to this.

Imagine scientists discover a 'gay gene' (you see where this is going). Now imagine science has advanced so much so that the doctor can tell you whether or not your son will be gay. Would it be morally acceptable to abort because of sexuality?

If it's acceptable to abort based on gender, does that mean this is ok too?
    Very few people would be stupid and shallow enough, to abort a baby because of its gender. We do not want these people to be parents anyway, so maybe an abortion would be for the best in this case.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elwyn)
    Since when is it acceptable to abort based on gender. Your scenario is just stupid.

(Original post by Tommyjw)

Sorry
    Are either of you familiar with the term 'if'?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexlduffy)
    Of course not.
    Indeed.

(Original post by ras90)
    Abortion is always acceptable.
    Surely you are either trolling or into genocide.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    i do not think abortion is immoral because i do not think it is killing a human life, it is preventing one.

if you are aborting because you do not want a baby/cannot support a baby then fine. if you are aborting because the baby will have an incurable disease that would affect the quality of life of both the baby and parents, then fine.

if you want to abort for something like hair colour or sexual orientation, that is wrong. it's just messed up. preventing someone from living their life, who you would otherwise have kept if it were not blonde or if it were not gay etc. when these things are not harmful... it is just wrong.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ROYP)
    Are either of you familiar with the term 'if'?
    Are you familiar with the English language?

Saying 'If X is acceptable then shouldn't we be allowed to do Y' is saying that x is already acceptable, pretty simple.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    i do not think abortion is immoral because i do not think it is killing a human life
    Abortion is legal up to 24 weeks. A fetus is fully developed into 'human form' (looks like a baby) way before then, and premature babies can survive from around 22 weeks. Not saying abortion is wrong, just some food for thought.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's a horrible reason but ultimately the decision lies with the mother

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 29, 2012
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.