The Student Room Group

Woman beaten to death in America for wearing a hijab

Scroll to see replies

Don't think people are interested cos it's a Muslim. It's an "us" and "them" mentality. Muslims have been dehumanised in the West, double standards now exist.
Original post by All Taken
You sir,

Are nothing short of a moron. Nobody on this thread is getting on any kind of "bandwagon". It's awful when an innocent person dies, purely based on their appearance, or beliefs. A group attacking a Muslim lady and killing her for wearing a headscarf IS disgusting. A group of Muslims raping an innocent woman is ALSO disgusting. They are mutually exclusive and as such are not logically dependant on each other.

"your equally as narrow-minded and deluded" - what for sympathising for someone who didn't need to die? How dare you.

It's not even fact it was a hate crime,
'A note calling her a terrorist and saying she should go back to her country was left next to her body, according to family members.' - whose to say the note placed there by a 'close' family member/friend to make it appear as if it was a hate crime, when in fact it was a inside job. It's perfect.
How can you sympathise with someone who didn't need to die :confused: no amount of sympathy will bring her back.
First of all CNN as well as a few smaller international news sites have done articles on this

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/03/25/justice/california-immigrant-death/index.html?hpt=us_c2

So it is not being ignored or downplayed and people are interested.

According to the police this is an isolated incident so hopefully the people responsible will be caught and any tensions within the town can be reduced.
Reply 23
Original post by jakemittle
Dude, it looks like she was hearing a Hijab..I would change the title to reflect that if I were you

sorry my mistake i'll do it now.
disgusting... i don't really know what to say i despise people who do things like that to people.
Reply 25
hmm.... I'm not surprised something like this would happen.

Most people have little contact with muslims and with all this american propoganda it kind of breeds intolerance. It's unfortunate that we still have hate crimes. If we look into history there is a culture of scape-goating and prosecuting minorities. I get a feeling that the western worlds current scape-goats are non-white muslims. Even on TSR and online I a general feeling of intolerance and prejudice. It might be just a conflict of cultures. You can just look online to see the atrocities constantly being committed in Iraq and Afghanistan. When I look online the number of people who actively encourage intolerance towards the muslim and non-white community is astounding. Yet people rarely discuss the horrific crimes that the Western world has committed such as urinating on dead bodies. It's begs the question do we really live in an equal nation? Where somehow it's acceptable to generalise a community yet they rarely acknowledge that they too have a history of horrific crimes and misconduct. A history that is still being played out. The killing of children in Afghanistan, the Tuskegee syphilis experiments and MK-Ultra. These people find it easy to condemn us, but we rarely hear them look at their own culture and history. I do accept there has been some soul-searching but a majority of people seem ignorant to these crimes and seem to scapegoat non-white muslims.
Reply 26
I sound a bit too extreme... I just get the feeling that my families being attacked and prosecuted for being from a different culture. I see a lot of threads online (even on TSR) encouraging misconceptions about us and defending them to the death. Just feels like we will be seeing a lot of these sorts of stuff in the future.

I mean we are all human, and our genetic differences are close to zero. For example it's not unheard of (and happens a lot more than you think) of 2 parents from a Saharan African tribe giving birth to a blonde and blue eyed child. So why can't people just get along? We are all practically family.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 27
funny one , since usually women get killed for not wearing the hijab
Reply 28
Original post by translucent
It's not even fact it was a hate crime,
'A note calling her a terrorist and saying she should go back to her country was left next to her body, according to family members.' - whose to say the note placed there by a 'close' family member/friend to make it appear as if it was a hate crime, when in fact it was a inside job. It's perfect.
How can you sympathise with someone who didn't need to die :confused: no amount of sympathy will bring her back.

I guess it's not a fact it was a hate crime. But we're assuming it was, as evidence appears to be relatively strong, even with the discursiveness of the article, in which the police say they need to look at other options. Tbh even if it wasn't a hate crime, it would still be as bad as before.

It was what you said: "nice to see you all get in the band-wagon when it's someone muslim being attacked" <- Pathetic. You assumed that most people who think this is just a tragedy are Muslims, which is just ridiculous. You need to be a Muslim to see that the woman died for no reason? Idiot.

I also did say that if this had been a group of Muslims, attacking or killing a woman which was white for example (reverse of the situation) it would be equally as disgusting. I feel the need to reiterate that to you.

As for the sympathise bit:- One of the definitions of showing sympathy is to commiserate (ref: World English Dictionary);

"To feel or express sorrow" - nothing wrong with that. I'm expressing sorrow towards her death. So are many other people, I'm sure.
Has no one actually bothered to read the article? It says a woman who happened to wear a hijab was found beaten to death in her home and beside was a note that said "Go back to your own country, you terrorist".

If a man was found beaten to death in his home, alongside a note which said "FAT ****", you wouldn't leap to the conclusion that the man was killed because he was fat.
Reply 30
Original post by KimKallstrom
It's on CNN.

Well I haven't seen it, nor is it being broadcasted on BBC or anything like that. When Zimmerman shot that innocent teenager there was a huge outcry through media, yet nothing in comparison
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Iqbal007
Well I haven't seen it, nor is it being broadcasted on BBC or anything like that. When Zimmerman shot that innocent teenager there was a huge outcry through media, yet nothing in comparison

why should we care ?
Reply 32
Oh wow. Nice to see a full account of the story on TSR, and rational reactions as usual. :facepalm:

'X are killed in Islamist attack' - Oh, you can;t blame Islam, it's just these radicals, there's nothing wrong with the system. (Weekly occurance)

'1 Muslim killed in alleged hate crime' - There's a flaw in the system! It's the media and West demonising Islam! We have to combat the hatred somehow!' (Once in a blue moon)

Yes, it's a horrible thing, and my sympathy rests with the family of the murdered victim, but let's be rational and reasonable here for crying out loud. And let's also add that it is an alleged hate crime, because of a note that the family reportwas there, there is no Police statement. Please can we try not to work ourselves up into a hypocritical frenzy just yet?
Reply 33
Original post by nmudz_009
This is really sad :frown: America is supposed to be one of the more tolerant countries of the world

Are you joking?
Reply 34
Original post by Kalb
why should we care ?

You disgust me, someone has died here because of an obvious hate crime.
This is not acceptable whatever group it may be against, there's a person/people out there who committed this crime and they are free to attack others.
Reply 35

Thats shocking! Poor woman, RIP. No need for horrific violence like that, no matter what your opinions are on hijab.
Reply 36
Reading it, do you think it could possibly be a relative (i dont know her living situations) could have done it and done that to cover it up and make it look like a hate crime?

Just a suggestion. Even if not how sick and warped. Attacking a defenceless woman aswell, shocking. Hope they find the criminal.
Reply 37
'Alawadi, a mother of five born in Iraq, was found by her 17-year-old daughter on Wednesday.

"I found her on the floor... in her own blood with a letter next to hear head saying go back to your country you terrorist," Fatima Al Himidi, told 10News, a TV station serving the San Diego area. '

Thats so upsetting. I cant imagine how that poor girl must be feeling, finding her mum like that. Thats like, my worst nightmare :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by Nightufury
No one cares its white people that did it so its not gonna sell well...its muslims people want to read about nowadays..

Theres no evidence the perpetrator was white at all. What a generalisation. You do know the US is also PACKED with south americans and latinos?
Reply 39
Original post by joey11223
That is a good point. I think often the niqab* can be quite intimidating to people to be honest, occasionally we'll have a group of women come in with them on and people do look. I suppose it's unnerving as you can't see their face at all and with some of them, you can't even see their eyes because the slit has netting over it. It alienates them from society completely. You don't know if you should engage in conversation or not? Saying that I have never heard them speak in English, so I'm not sure the ones who shop at our store even could hold a conversation.

I think the standard headscarf is a much better compromise. People are fine with a women just covering her head but showing her face. It seems unnecessary to wear these black robes with totally cover you and make you stand out against the society of the country you have moved to. It isn't difficult to wear a dark long sleeve top, with another layer over that, say a jumper. Then a long loose skirt which goes right down to the ankles, then a headscarf. That makes them fit with people around much more easily but still allows them to cover up, if that's what their faith teaches they must do. I'm pretty certain it asks them to dress modestly, which can be done easily with normal clothing. I'm pretty sure covering the whole face is not necessary and so just the headscarf should be fine.

* For anyone in the know, can anyone clear up which term means what?

Are niqab and burka the same thing? When I google them I get the same images of women in black robes and their face covered, though the burka seems to show more images of even the eyes covered by mesh. Is their a term for just wearing a headscarf which does not cover the whole face?

I do agree with this, there are muslim women EVERYWHERE who dont wear hijab and just cover their hair/head and the rest of their bodies. Thats fine, you can still see their face and know whether to make conversation or not. You cant tell if a woman in hijab is pissed off or upset or not. I dont think its a requirement of them to wear it in Islam.

Quick Reply

Latest