The Student Room Group

Woman beaten to death in America for wearing a hijab

Scroll to see replies

Original post by neuro101
Alright, I'm just going to quickly clarify things, and then I'm outta here.

I know this family, I've known them very well for years. They did not deserve what has happened to them

1. This is not an HONOR KILLING. They are a very happy, content family. Wonderful people, who were just busy living their own lives, minding their own business.

2. People ask where is the father in all of this? It was 11am when the attack happened, so he took the kids to school, went to run some errands, and the mother was home alone. So it cannot be the father (ps this man loved her, he really loved her). And the (local) media has interviewed the father, and he is just...absolutely devastated.

3. I do think this is a hate crime. I've lived in California for 18 years and nothing like this has EVER happened. Lately there has been some animosity, I don't know why. But I hope they catch this guy.

Oh, I've noticed people saying this is might be the acts of a white person. But the neighbors say they saw an African American running away from their home. So...

How can we believe you when you say you KNEW this family???

I know this family, I've known them very well for years. They did not deserve what has happened to them

1. This is not an HONOR KILLING. They are a very happy, content family. Wonderful people, who were just busy living their own lives, minding their own business.

2. People ask where is the father in all of this? It was 11am when the attack happened, so he took the kids to school, went to run some errands, and the mother was home alone. So it cannot be the father (ps this man loved her, he really loved her). And the (local) media has interviewed the father, and he is just...absolutely devastated.

3. I do think this is a hate crime. I've lived in California for 18 years and nothing like this has EVER happened. Lately there has been some animosity, I don't know why. But I hope they catch this guy.

Oh, I've noticed people saying this is might be the acts of a white person. But the neighbors say they saw an African American running away from their home. So...

It's very sad. Thanks for clarifying, I wish them well.
Reply 102

Well, as I have no reason not to believe you, we have clarification that it is a hate crime. Maybe its to do with all the recent issues between the US military and Afghanistan.

Either way, what a horrendous thing to happen to the family. Hope they get the help and justice they deserve.
Original post by Chloe xxx
The hijab was probably the reason they knew she was muslim. They obviously hate muslims, so targeted her for that reason, not because she was wearing hijab. Hence the terrorist go back to your own country. Nothing about religious clothing.

Islamophobes believe muslims are terrorists -> They target muslims -> she was wearing a scarf ergo she's a muslim -> they target her.

You don't make much sense with the latter part of your argument, are you implying they were being racist and not Islamophobic?

On one hand you;'re saying they obviously hate muslims and then it's 'nothing about religious clothing' - how else would have picked her as a victim.

What exactly are you trying to say?
Reply 104
Original post by Golden_Boy786
How can we believe you when you say you KNEW this family???

I live a half hour away from them...:confused: You don't have to believe me if you don't want to. I just don't want people to hold misconceptions about the family. They already been through such a horrendous trauma.
Reply 105
Deeply distasteful.

Some multiculturalism can work, europe/east asia for example. But murder begets murder. The deaths of Americans in Afghanistan, New York and Iraq was always going to create a reaction against Muslims.

Like I've said elsewhere on this forum, Muslims are their own worst enemy.

I don't think anything could validate this kind of murder. At least Anders Brevik specifically went after members of a political party who were passing laws and part of a power structure he was at war with.

This woman could only be accused of being a Muslim, which is too close to being innocent to ever justify the killing.

I wonder if it could have ramifications for American media coverage of Muslims, which is rather unbalanced.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Salu.
Has anyone been arrested? I suspect the note was left to mislead the police into thinking the murder was committed by a non-muslim when in actual fact it was carried out by a muslim who she possibly knew. I'm just keeping an open mind until further news.

God knows how you came to that assumption and you clearly have not kept an open mind according to your statement
Reply 107
Words from the daughter:

Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
Dude that's why priests/nuns/rabbis/muslims dress the way they do...

No they don't. When priests etc dress the way you imply, it is as much to suggest their position within the heirarchy of their faith as the nature of that faith itself. When muslims wear burqhas or hijabs, it is merely to show that they are followers of Islam. Different message.

A dress code is associated with all religions not just Islam, but unless it is offensive - why should anyone care what people wear. If I choose to cover my hair with a hijab - then that's my business. How does that cause 'damage' in any way :s-smilie:

I personally don't understand the point of the niqab, but if someone wants to wear it than it's their life, their body and their choices (although don't think it should be allowed in some professions such as Medicine - wouldn't want to talk to a doctor with everything but their eyes covered up. But that's not because it offends me, it's because it affects the way they do their job - I just wouldn't feel comfortable communicating personal stuff in that sort of situation).

Also it's not the garment that's causing the tension - it's rather laughable how you can place the woman's appearance as the cause of friction rather than at the small percentage of society being so intolerant and small minded. And the 'damage' they can cause, errrm looks like she was the victim here rather than the bringer of destruction...:rolleyes:

Also lol, 'uniform'- you make Islam sound like a militant religion.

As I said, they should have the right to wear what they want but Islam has made the joint mistakes of allowing itself to be associated with too much anti-Western violence and to allow its followers to be too easily identified in wider society. That means that, to the uneducated, burkha = terrorist.

So the uneducated need to be educated but, as I said, that works both ways. Therefore a lot of muslims would benefit from learning that, even though they should have the right to wear it, giving up the burkha is not going to lead to eternal damnation and is actually a good way of gaining the benefits to be had from integration with local society.
Reply 109
Islamophobes believe muslims are terrorists -> They target muslims -> she was wearing a scarf ergo she's a muslim -> they target her.

You don't make much sense with the latter part of your argument, are you implying they were being racist and not Islamophobic?

On one hand you;'re saying they obviously hate muslims and then it's 'nothing about religious clothing' - how else would have picked her as a victim.

I cant be bothered explaining this to you, its like talking to a brick wall.

She was killed because she was muslim, not because she was wearing hijab.

There is a difference. Would they kill someone who was clearly wearing hijab for a joke or piss take?
Reply 110
Original post by kingsholmmad
No they don't. When priests etc dress the way you imply, it is as much to suggest their position within the heirarchy of their faith as the nature of that faith itself. When muslims wear burqhas or hijabs, it is merely to show that they are followers of Islam. Different message.

They keep straw manning this argument, I mean, do all christian women go round dressed as nuns and claiming its a religious requirement? Likewise do all christian men go decked out like altar boys all the time?

Its laughable.
Some people are not educated

This.
Yes, it's really upsetting and angering, and this in light of the Trayvon Martin case (another hate crime). The irony though of the note left next to her 'Go back to your own country you terrorist' that country being Iraq, which American troops are in.
Reply 113
We don't know this was a hate crime. This could have been something else, set up to look like so. Let's not jump to conclusions. You'll cause more harm than good.
Tragic incident, my condolences to the family.

Original post by Sharri5
We don't know this was a hate crime. This could have been something else, set up to look like so. Let's not jump to conclusions. You'll cause more harm than good.

And we wouldn't want to do that, especially since you Americans are such pros.
Original post by cl_steele
What is this world coming to?

This sort of thing always bothers me. Do you really think that this represents the world becoming worse, compared to what it has been like throughout the entirety of human history? Do you think that this is something worse than what occurs daily throughout much of the world now?
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
You are joking right?

For the most, and this coming from someone of colour who has lived from places such as New York and California, to Georgia and Texas, very much tolerant. Heck, I've faced more 'racism' here in the UK than I have in the US. This isn't to say that the US is a utopia when it comes to race relations, but then, no country is.
Disgusting ignorance
Reply 118
Islamaphobes must be loving this.

The West deserves what it gets, they meddle in muslim affairs and then have the nerve to kill people in their own country. Now you got white peole killing muslim citizens in the USA and UK.
Reply 119

She hates muslims and asians, just look at her posts. It's obvious!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending