The Student Room Group

Is it easier to become a barrister or solicitor?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FMQ
The comment can be seen in a post of wild colonial boy which he responded to - he has experience of admin at 1 specific law school. I have the experience of being in the profession. And he is simply wrong that 1 in 2 good people get pupillage. It is a really really bad message to send on this forum as it is so wrong. Nothing to do with down stairs.

I private messaged him to say be more considered in your petulant responses now everyone at your law school knows who you are as your the BPTC administrator and you outed yourself by choosing a 1 off statistic. I therefore advised him he should delete his posts. I did not demand anything!

I then deleted 1 post as it mentioned the law school so i felt i had been harsh. Not for any other reason. As the statistic is so obscure anyone who reads the 2011 bar provider reports will know anyway. it is the only one which has such a statistic so if wcb says he does not work at this school he is ether lying about where he works general (as his place didnt have 30%) or just lying.

I am finding this extremely strange from Wild colonial boy and shall not be commenting further. He should be mortified as so many students read this forum everone will know who he is and how lacking in decorum and maturity.

I've heard (though far be it for a mere administrator to comment on the conduct of someone "in the profession") that using correct spelling, expressing yourself in full sentences, etc tends to contribute to the likelihood you'll gain pupillage.

What do you think, as someone in the profession?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by nulli tertius
I will add my tuppen'orth worth on these stats.

Although in 2009/10 460 people obtained pupillage, BSB records only show that 376 did the BVC/BPTC. 31 were exempted (mostly solicitor transferees) and there was no data on 53. Assuming that the 53 broke proportionately, that would mean that only 425 pupillages wet to BVC/BPTC graduates. In fact it is more likely that a greater proportion of the 53 were non-standard applicants and that is why their have been missed in the data-collection.

A much harder question is how many pupillages were not truly open.

Most pupillage applicants would have made a Pupillage Portal application. The exceptions would be those who received a "closed" pupillage.

The PP applicant numbers are fairly constant at 2800 per year. That is lower than the Wood Report estimate of 4000 looking for pupillage each year.

425/2800 is about 1 in 6 1/2. I suspect once "closed" pupillages and pupillages won by transferees are taken out of account, in any given year a BPTC graduate has a 1 in 7 chance of pupillage.

I'm not sure that anything can be inferred from the missing data. About 1/4 of students failed to declare their sexuality, but I wouldn't conclude from that that they're not heterosexual.

There's also a high likelihood that there's a degree of double counting in the 4000 figure, considering that people are likely to apply both through OLPAS and to non-OLPAS sets.

Finally, the Wood Report was done at the very height of the (what should it be called? The barrister bubble?), and there would be a notable decline if the 07/08 - 08/09 trend continued.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by wildcolonialboy
(Please forgive me everyone else here)

FMQ, you sound very... international.

I've heard (though far be it for a mere administrator to comment on the conduct of someone "in the profession") that using correct spelling, expressing yourself in full sentences, etc tends to contribute to the likelihood you'll gain pupillage.

What do you think, as someone in the profession?

Wow, you sound like an idiot.
Original post by nulli tertius

That is a good question. Clearly the message about pupillages has filtered through, and all the providers have been far more careful in the last year about how they frame the likelihood of obtaining pupillage when they speak to students. The creation of the health warning was, I think, an excellent move by the BSB.

Regarding the back door to the profession, I understand that students can undertake the NY Bar + QLTS route then BVC (if that's the one you can refer to), though I haven't heard of anyone taking that final step, and even the NY Bar + QLTS route would be silly because I expect that these students would find it difficult to obtain work in England and Wales due to this being seen as a cheeky shortcut
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by FMQ
http://www.barstandardsboard.org.uk/qualifying-as-a-barrister/bar-professional-training-course/bptc-providers/bptc-monitoring-visits/

Report of Kaplan section 5. None of the others say because, as all BVC students know, those on the other courses who begin with pupillage are few and far between! There was talk at the time they set up that becuase Kaplan was new, they made it clear they were going to cherry pick so got a lot of good candidates keen to avoid the dead wood - hence the ridiculous statistics for kaplan compared to everywhere else
Well, there certainly has to be some explanation for it, because as you say everyone with relevant experience knows that those figures are significantly higher than the norm. The report states that they had 60 students in that year, which means that 15 had secured pupillage before starting the course. That is a simply extraordinary figure, and suggests something outside of the norm going on, if indeed the figure is correct.
(edited 12 years ago)

Regarding the back door to the profession, I understand that students can undertake the NY Bar + QLTS route then BVC (if that's the one you can refer to), though I haven't heard of anyone taking that final step, and even the NY Bar + QLTS route would be silly because I expect that these students would find it difficult to obtain work in England and Wales due to this being seen as a cheeky shortcut

The back door was:

BVC+call+QLTT (usually with a lot of exemptions)+two years work experience in a legal environment=admission as a solicitor

No training contract, no minimum salary and the work experience didn't need to be in a solicitor's office.

This door has now been firmly shut.
Reply 126
Original post by Crazy Jamie
Well, there certainly has to be some explanation for it, because as you say everyone with relevant experience knows that those figures are significantly higher than the norm. The report states that they had 60 students in that year, which means that 15 had secured pupillage before starting the course. That is a simply extraordinary figure, and suggests something outside of the norm going on, if indeed the figure is correct.:

Its all moot. At the end of the day WCB is totally wrong in everything he has said on this thread. When it was politely and factually pointed out to him was wrong he became rude and petulalant. I tried to stop the pettyness on a thread in a private message and he immediately came on the thread and lied about what I had said/done. I took a post down as it named his law school (from the information he has given) which I felt was wrong, but he started shouting about it again. He then again without any insult from me started being infridig and took what I had said the wrong way. I said to him as someone qualified through the system as opposed to someone not qualified and only doing a very specific job in one law school - be it Kaplan or or BPP or any other his expereince and knowledge was extremely limited. He then accuses me of snobbery, was extremely rude calling me a failure and "international" (so what if I am? I am not, just a lazy blogger, and given that he is Aussie his comment was possibly actually even more barbed.) He needs to grow up and think more carfully about his actions.

Im not replying to him or acknowledging him going forward. I think this thread should be deleted as it can now be worked out exactly where he does work and frankly, whether he chooses to bury his head in the sand, he will be a laughing stock, a position I have no desire for anyone to be in.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by FMQ
I said to him as someone qualified through the system

What are you talking about? You never qualified as a barrister

At the end of the day WCB is totally wrong in everything he has said on this thread.

Are you going to address the ridiculous 1 in 8 figure you gave out?

You're a one-trick pony FMQ. You insult and then say "poor me, how dare anyone respond in kind". You didn't actually qualify, dismissing other people's qualification to comment on this and then have a cry when someone points equally that you failed to make it in the profession; presumably an intelligent person would be very skeptical about what you have to say on the matter.
(edited 12 years ago)

x

I think it is time for both of you to drop this
Reply 129
Some of the posts in the thread are bordering personal insults and won't be tolerated. Please keep the thread on track or warnings will be given.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending