The Student Room Group

Overland tours in Africa - Africa Travel Co or Absolute Africa or Dragoman?

Has anyone had any experience of Overland tours in Africa? I'm looking at travelling for around 6 weeks from the start of august, hoping to do gorilla trekking, serengeti and ngorongoro crater, down to zanzibar, malawi, vic falls, etc. Considering the following:

http://www.absoluteafrica.com/itinerary.lasso?trip_code=ROA41
http://www.africatravelco.com/TripInfo.aspx?tripCode=NJ46
http://www.africatravelco.com/TripInfo.aspx?tripCode=NV35
http://www.dragoman.com/holidays/details/indepth-overland-nairobi-gorillas-zanzibar-and-vic-falls

Leaning towards Absolute Africa atm. I think ATC covers more that I would want to do, but Absolute Africa seems to spend more time in each area which might be more worthwhile. They're essentially the same on price. The only negative about Absolute is some of their trucks have tarp windows, which I'm not sure seem all that secure and apparently are difficult to see through when rolled down - ATC have sliding windows instead. Both seem to have a collection of positive reviews and each have around 30 years experience of Africa tours. ATC is an african company using entirely local business, Absolute is a UK company. Both seem to attract a younger crowd.

Alternatively, i looked at Dragoman which is a lot more expensive but seems to include more and has better trucks, however whilst having a lot of good reviews, this seems to have a few bad ones too. But it seems that with all the companies, this just seems to be luck of the draw on whether you get a good guide and group more than anyone else.

So has anyone had any experience with any of these?
(edited 12 years ago)
hiya

we had our honeymoon on a Dragoman trip. IT WAS AMAZING!!! I can't recommend them highly enough. I dont really know anything about the other companies, so can't compare them im afraid.

On Dragoman, we got to see and do an awful lot different activities, and there was a really good mix between the touristy things and the local, cultural things. We had a local cook / campmaster, who provided fantastic food, as much as we could eat. The guides were really knowledgeable, and also knew when to take charge of people - we drove by a school were there were student protests in Kenya, and they were very clear that we should close the windows, not take pictures, etc. but the rest of the time they were so chilled out and knew how to have a good time!!

My one criticism would be that we spent a lot of time on the road - some days as many as ten hours driving! And if I was going at my own pace I would have spent longer in many locations. However, this would have meant that I didn't get to see and experience all the things that I did in such a short time. Each trip is different, and each company is different, so have a read of the itineraries, etc. if this worries you, but you really shouldn't be put off by it, just prepare - take a pack of cards, a couple of books, etc.

As far as the tarp windows are concerned. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!! Our truck had proper windows, but we saw a few with tarp, and it just looked awful. They definitely weren't suitable for taking photos through, and looked like they would turn the whole truck into a hot house when rolled down. What's wrong with proper glass windows?? nothing :wink:

Also, a proper roof means that you can find a company that has roof seats on the truck. These were great! We all had to take it in turns, but it meant that we got a really good view of the national parks, etc. Not allowed to sit on them on the roads, but as soon as you get into the parks you can hop up onto the roof seats, and really have an amazing experience. Cannot recommend this feature enough.

If you want to know anything else, or if you want to see any photos, feel free to PM me.

Happy travelling xxx
Reply 2
Yeah I've found that the driving times are long, but then I figured that's to be expected given you're covering thousands of kilometres over a few weeks. Fortunately, I got used to long train journeys through china so hopefully that should be fine :smile:

Did you find that any of the itinerary was missed? I've heard some complaints about dragoman that parts of the itinerary were missed, but then I'm wondering if this was due to something completely unavoidable, rather than necessarily the fault of the company.

I saw the roof seats on the dragoman trucks and thought they looked great. My budget is limited, but I am considering just pushing for it if it's going to make all the difference going with a company like dragoman.

Also, do you know roughly who made up your group? like what age, was it couples, solo travellers, friends, etc.?

thanks!
No, we had no problems what so ever with missing parts of the itinerary. To the contrary, there were people on the trip who had originally said that they didn't want to trek to see the gorillas, but changed their mind. Gorilla permits sell out months in advance, but the guides did all they could to get passes, and they managed it!! So, absolutley no problems at all from that point of view.

I would recommend Drago. they do cost a bit more, but sometimes on a long dusty journey, the relative luxury of coach style seats, proper windows and decent tents at the end of the day is really worth it.

There's also security. We had a safe on the truck that our passports and large denomination dollars were kept in. The truck was also secure. I have no idea how secure other company's trucks are... I've not travelled with them.

As for the group, we were a motley bunch. As far as I can remember, there was us (honeymoon couple), a single travelling gap year girl, single travelling thirty something, a dutch couple, a canadian couple, an american couple, a Sri Lankan guy, and a couple from Hawaii. They were all so different, with a wide range of ages, personalities and backgrounds. So that was interesting in itself, everyone had different interests and appreciated different things.

Going on an overland trip is great, someone else worries about where to go, where to stay, etc. you just go along for the ride. but have you considered having a mixture of overland and independent travel? We stayed on in Uganda for another couple of months, it cost less, and we got to know the place where we were staying very well. we made some very good friends, who we're still in touch with six years later, and got a real feel for the culture, politics and day to day life of the local area. a much deeper experience. We also got some voluntary work and had the most amazing time.

the gap year girl on our trip also went on to volunteer in an orphanage in Rwanda for a couple of months, staying at a local family's home.

a mixture like this would keep your costs lower, and give you two very different types of experience in one trip.

where abouts are you travelling to?
Reply 4
Original post by HeatherJarvo
No, we had no problems what so ever with missing parts of the itinerary. To the contrary, there were people on the trip who had originally said that they didn't want to trek to see the gorillas, but changed their mind. Gorilla permits sell out months in advance, but the guides did all they could to get passes, and they managed it!! So, absolutley no problems at all from that point of view.

I would recommend Drago. they do cost a bit more, but sometimes on a long dusty journey, the relative luxury of coach style seats, proper windows and decent tents at the end of the day is really worth it.

There's also security. We had a safe on the truck that our passports and large denomination dollars were kept in. The truck was also secure. I have no idea how secure other company's trucks are... I've not travelled with them.

As for the group, we were a motley bunch. As far as I can remember, there was us (honeymoon couple), a single travelling gap year girl, single travelling thirty something, a dutch couple, a canadian couple, an american couple, a Sri Lankan guy, and a couple from Hawaii. They were all so different, with a wide range of ages, personalities and backgrounds. So that was interesting in itself, everyone had different interests and appreciated different things.

Going on an overland trip is great, someone else worries about where to go, where to stay, etc. you just go along for the ride. but have you considered having a mixture of overland and independent travel? We stayed on in Uganda for another couple of months, it cost less, and we got to know the place where we were staying very well. we made some very good friends, who we're still in touch with six years later, and got a real feel for the culture, politics and day to day life of the local area. a much deeper experience. We also got some voluntary work and had the most amazing time.

the gap year girl on our trip also went on to volunteer in an orphanage in Rwanda for a couple of months, staying at a local family's home.

a mixture like this would keep your costs lower, and give you two very different types of experience in one trip.

where abouts are you travelling to?

I think I'm going to go with Absolute Africa now, because for everything I want to do, I won't be able to afford Dragoman, plus it's not compatible with dates I need for volunteering... thanks for your advice though!

With regards to security, I believe absolute has a safe on board along with personal lockers under the seats for day bags.

I won't be able to do independent, one because my mum would have an absolute fit, and two because by the time I do the tour and volunteering, I'll get back 2 days before I go back to university as it is :tongue: I'll be starting off in Uganda, going across to Tanzania, down to Zanzibar, Malawi, through Zimbabwe, ending in Vic falls. Spending a few days there at the end of my trip before I start at a lion rehabilitation centre in Zambia for two weeks :smile:
Reply 5
Hopefully this reply reaches you in time but please please please DO NOT go with Africa Travel Co.

I toured with them in July last year for 31 days through Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.

Whilst their itinery may look glamerous and you may think there is lots to do, it's a falacy. There were four activies offered on the same day in the same area which was completely different to the way it was described. A lot of people in our group had planned on doing at least two if not three of the activities but could only choose one. I really wanted to volunteer at an orphange only to be told the day before that transport was too hard to organise.

It worked out that in the first ten days of our tour we had only done three activities !!! The rest of the time was spent on the bus, which by the way they told us had charge points for camera batteries etc however their buses don't.

Our tour guide was THE worst person I have ever had the displeasure of travelling with. She was incompetent to the point that we had to produce the itinery numerous times as she denied that certain activities were offered on the tour, she failed to book accomodation, she physically manhandled me, she had no coping skills if things went wrong and instead of discussing the matter gave people in the group the "silent treatment" for days at a time.

Oh I could go on and on about how incompetent this company are and yes we did complain to a manager whilst still on tour. Her response was that she would sort it out at the end of the tour and email all of us to let us know the outcome. Well funnily enough that email never happened.

Africa is a GREAT place so please don't be put off on going but please don't go with Africa Travel Co.
Reply 6
Hi there

I am going to Tanzania on a medical elective placement for 8 weeks starting next week. I have several weeks to travel afterwards and am looking at overland trips (I want to book before I go). I was thinking of booking with African Travel Co but I'm worried now having read this thread. How was Absolute Africa in the end? Would you recommend them?

Thanks!
Reply 7
hi,
Reply 8
the best ive come across in 20years of overlanding "oasis overland", and ive been with atc 3 times have a good trip,dave

Quick Reply

Latest