The Student Room Group

The Martial Arts Society

Scroll to see replies

dimexi
Injuries that stop you from doing martial arts are the worst :frown: :hugs:

Totally spot on there matey, I felt totally useless when I was sat up with a dodgy ankle, it's horrible - specially when you love your club and your sport!
Reply 21
red665
Totally spot on there matey, I felt totally useless when I was sat up with a dodgy ankle, it's horrible - specially when you love your club and your sport!

I usually come back with a achy shoulder sometimes when I break - fall wrong or just get manhandled by an aggressive jitsuka but nothing much apart from that.. The worst I've had is a busted lip (from a ground fight) it was really bad but it healed up in about a week
Reply 22
Alreet Eloquence :smile:

5th kyu is Heian Yodan required, isnt it?

I have a competition coming up (Isle of Man Karate Federation annual competition) and the sparring in that will be shobu nihonme (2 points).

Oh, and I agree that injuries that stop you training are bad. Luckily I have only had minor achilles pulls and pulled muscles in my back that have kept me out for a week or two max.
I am taking my first TKD grading on sat, I'll join. Cool I want a martial arts society icon, lets get one :smile:
Reply 24
Yay!! Good luck in your grading :biggrin:... The logo is on and you will have one once you join up :biggrin:...
Reply 25
[QUOTE]
Gaskell
Alreet Eloquence :smile:

5th kyu is Heian Yodan required, isnt it?

I have a competition coming up (Isle of Man Karate Federation annual competition) and the sparring in that will be shobu nihonme (2 points).

There's an international competition coming up, you may want to check it out:
http://shobu-ippon.com/events/default.asp
I attended the one last year too and i came first place in Freestyle fighting and third in kata competition. But it's going to be international this year which will be challenging.
Thanks its yellow tag on the white belt, looking forward to it.
Reply 27
[QUOTE="Eloquence"]

There's an international competition coming up, you may want to check it out:
http://shobu-ippon.com/events/default.asp
I attended the one last year too and i came first place in Freestyle fighting and third in kata competition. But it's going to be international this year which will be challenging.

Surrey? No chance of getting from Co. Durham down to there.

Alreet Laura, good to see you here :smile:

Good luck for the grading :smile:
Does any one here do more than 1 martial art. I did Karate for 3 years when I was little and one man had a black belt in Judo, Karate and Taekwondo. He was really old though
Reply 29
One of our instructors is 1st dan graded in TKD I think (he came into training in a dobok and blackbelt one session to save washing his gi) and will do pretty much anything he can get his hands on.

When I get to Uni I will be doing the same - Jujitsu and a weapons art to compliment Karate :biggrin:
Reply 30
I want to do Jeet Kun-do in Uni. They use a sword as a weapon in that martial art i think and their style is cool.
Reply 31
Gaskell
One of our instructors is 1st dan graded in TKD I think (he came into training in a dobok and blackbelt one session to save washing his gi) and will do pretty much anything he can get his hands on.

When I get to Uni I will be doing the same - Jujitsu and a weapons art to compliment Karate :biggrin:

Rock on with Jitsu!!! you will enjoy it mate :cool:

A black belt in Judo is pretty impressive :biggrin:@ Laura
Cool, I'll stick to TKD one step at a time. But our instructor works us hard, I cannot believe how toned I am. All my old trousers are baggy, I am so happy. I'd be pleased to spend time doing another martial art, in fact martials all day if this continues. Batter than the gym :smile:
Is judo harder then? Some one else said that
Reply 34
I'm off to my jitsu session soon.. we have a mock grading... hmmmm!
Reply 35
LauraWalker
Is judo harder then? Some one else said that
Judo and Ju Jitsu are very similar 'cos Judo was derived from jitsu and they are both VERY demanding
yer he did Jitsu too (boffin) LOL

Enjoy your training!!!!
Reply 37
I'll try and enjoy it (my shoulder hurts) :biggrin:.. you take care too :smile:
I do judo and just started Tae Kwon do
I've always wanted to do Judo, but my Mum would not let me. Now I am 23 I could do it just for revenge LOL

Quick Reply