Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Martial Arts Society

Announcements Posted on
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonic23)
    if poeple didnt hear me the first time, how do you join this society?
    I don't know how to join any society, but someone answer him!
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    if poeple didnt hear me the first time, how do you join this society?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/socs.php?do=list&page=7

Go to the link above, scroll down to Martial Arts society and on your right hand side click on : Join this soc, or any other society you would like to join.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guvnor)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/socs.php?do=list&page=7

Go to the link above, scroll down to Martial Arts society and on your right hand side click on : Join this soc, or any other society you would like to join.

Thank you very much
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    would anyone recomend taekwondo and muay thai done together?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Probably, I may be wrong but I think both help with flexibility, and both have a lot of leg work in as well I believe. Probably best to ask your sensei's though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Probably, I may be wrong but I think both help with flexibility, and both have a lot of leg work in as well I believe. Probably best to ask your sensei's though.

...my 'sensei' refers to muay thai kicks as baseball swings so..lol
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    ...my 'sensei' refers to muay thai kicks as baseball swings so..lol
    surely that's a compliment, if someone swung a baseball bat at me I'd **** myself (*ahem* I mean I'd remain calm and kick their butt! *flexs imaginary muscles*).

Has he not seen cowboy bebop?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    surely that's a compliment, if someone swung a baseball bat at me I'd **** myself (*ahem* I mean I'd remain calm and kick their butt! *flexs imaginary muscles*).

Has he not seen cowboy bebop?

i dont know what the hell is tht?

but taekwondo kicks are snap kicks and muay thai kicks are through swings so theyre very different and it would be hard to use both styles and not get confused between the techniques.

thats why i dont know if it would be easy as MMA....
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    i dont know what the hell is tht?

but taekwondo kicks are snap kicks and muay thai kicks are through swings so theyre very different and it would be hard to use both styles and not get confused between the techniques.

thats why i dont know if it would be easy as MMA....
    mmm, I can see the problem, it could be useful though, but I'm just gonna say now, I'm not nearly experienced enough to advise you.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    What have you trained in and for how long ? I really would not recommend anyone to cross-train unless they have got at least 6 months or 1 years experience in training in their current martial art. Then after that once you get used to it then you can see what works for you and what you need to work on.

If you do have the right amount of experience and know exactly what your looking for, why don't you give it a try and see how it goes ?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guvnor)
    What have you trained in and for how long ? I really would not recommend anyone to cross-train unless they have got at least 6 months or 1 years experience in training in their current martial art. Then after that once you get used to it then you can see what works for you and what you need to work on.

If you do have the right amount of experience and know exactly what your looking for, why don't you give it a try and see how it goes ?
    taekwondo for 6 months -fairly comfortable with it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that would be a good idea. Stick with either one. Style and stances are VERY different.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krush)
    I don't think that would be a good idea. Stick with either one. Style and stances are VERY different.
    i know but the taekwondo syllabus is daunting and i like the agrressive aspect of muay thai + extra fitness
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i know but the taekwondo syllabus is daunting and i like the agrressive aspect of muay thai + extra fitness
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by the taekwondo syllabus being daunting. Are you on about learning the poomse forms and all the techniques?

From the sound of it, you seem to prefer muay thai. In that case go for it.

The reason why I suggested not to combine both is that I have done so for both karate and muay thai, not a lot of overlap between the two but just about enough to make it hard switching from karate to muay thai, took me more than a year to adapt.

Good combinations are karate+taekwondo for example. Or muay thai+mma.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krush)
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by the taekwondo syllabus being daunting. Are you on about learning the poomse forms and all the techniques?

From the sound of it, you seem to prefer muay thai. In that case go for it.

The reason why I suggested not to combine both is that I have done so for both karate and muay thai, not a lot of overlap between the two but just about enough to make it hard switching from karate to muay thai, took me more than a year to adapt.

Good combinations are karate+taekwondo for example. Or muay thai+mma.

did u completely stop karate?
    what belt did u get up 2
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    did u completely stop karate?
    what belt did u get up 2
    Yeah I stopped completely now, went up to 1st dan (black).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krush)
    Yeah I stopped completely now, went up to 1st dan (black).
    ahhh. so im gona continue tkd for some time and then try muay thai. the reason being ur approach seems too time-consuming. if i find muay thai very dificult il have to choose between one. did u initially find it hard?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ahhh. so im gona continue tkd for some time and then try muay thai. the reason being ur approach seems too time-consuming. if i find muay thai very dificult il have to choose between one. did u initially find it hard?
    It requires significantly more physical stamina than karate (and probably taekwondo too) so in that respect, it is harder. Techniques-wise, learning the basics of muay thai (throwing jabs, elbows, knees, uppercuts...) isn't hard. It's getting better that takes a while...

But the main problem I had was the transition, but this may be due to the fact that I've been doing karate for so long.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Judo/Aikido anyone? in london?
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by time.to.dance)
    Judo/Aikido anyone? in london?
    I am not sure what exactly you are asking but here are some good websites that might help :

http://www.judoinfo.com/
    http://www.britishjudo.org.uk/home/index.php

http://www.bab.org.uk/Mysql_club_dir...arch_ukmap.asp

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 7, 2013
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.