The Student Room Group

The Martial Arts Society

Scroll to see replies

No my next lesson is on Thursday then I will find out if I got the yellow tag :smile: To be honest, the girl said that no one ever fails so unless I am the first, should be ok!!
Reply 101
Yeah, people don't usually fail their first grading 'cos it's basic stuff.. I'm sure you will get it though :biggrin:...

In Ju jitsu, the yellow belt grade is divided into 3 groups (according to how well you performed) 'cos so many people grade for yellow it's unbelivable!!
Reply 102
dimexi
Ah! sounds interesting :biggrin: are you an instructor?

Yep, I am an assistant instructor (4th to 1st kyu are assistants, shodan and up are full) and because I am 1st kyu I can teach up to and including 2nd kyu (dont like to teach the grade I have just done myself).

Got a couple of lads going for 4th kyu on Thursday night and I am expecting at least one to fail. When I was teaching outside last night, I was asking them what the terms I was using meant. When they couldnt say what Hidari gedan barai (left downward block) and hidari hanme gamae (left basic fighting stance) were, I wasnt too happy. I havent seen anyone fail their 4th kyu before, but I will probably be up for sparring and 3-step-sparring for their grade so I expect to see a first :rolleyes:
well there were 8 people in the grading hall, and I am dammed if she made eye-contract with me more than twice. (I was not entirely impressed) so I am pretty certain she did not see enough mistakes to fail me. It is a bit disappointing to be honest, she only pays attention to the higher grades but you like to know how well your progressing and how the overall grading went
Reply 104
Gaskell
Yep, I am an assistant instructor (4th to 1st kyu are assistants, shodan and up are full) and because I am 1st kyu I can teach up to and including 2nd kyu (dont like to teach the grade I have just done myself).

Got a couple of lads going for 4th kyu on Thursday night and I am expecting at least one to fail. When I was teaching outside last night, I was asking them what the terms I was using meant. When they couldnt say what Hidari gedan barai (left downward block) and hidari hanme gamae (left basic fighting stance) were, I wasnt too happy. I havent seen anyone fail their 4th kyu before, but I will probably be up for sparring and 3-step-sparring for their grade so I expect to see a first :rolleyes:

ah I see!! It is the same with Jitsu as well; I think when you get to 4th Kyu then you have to start doing some assistant instructor courses and all that...

o0o I know gedan means lower and chudan is the middle I think

EDIT - Thanks for the rep :biggrin:
Reply 105
LauraWalker
well there were 8 people in the grading hall, and I am dammed if she made eye-contract with me more than twice. (I was not entirely impressed) so I am pretty certain she did not see enough mistakes to fail me. It is a bit disappointing to be honest, she only pays attention to the higher grades but you like to know how well your progressing and how the overall grading went

ah ok; it's really the secret to lower grades .i.e. not to draw attention to yourself when you make a mistake hehe... In jitsu however, the "V" defence we do at the end usually uncovers peoples mistakes since they monitor you closely while you do it...
Reply 106
That used to be the key, dont draw attention to yourself. Of course, when you start getting to the higher grades theres less and less of you on the floor. For my last grading there were 3 of us (me right in the middle) with around half a dozen BBs (black-belts) in front of us. I still noticed that the lad next to me messed up Kanku Dai (the longest kata we do) when I was looking before moving :biggrin:

I think our equivilent of your "V" defence (dimexi) for grading would be sanbon-gumite (3 step sparring). It works timing, distance, technique, focus, power and control. If the attacker doesnt go to put their fist through the defender's head or their foot through their stomach, they get points dropped. If the defender's nose gets splatted (as nearly happened to the 2nd dan I did my sanbons with) because they didnt block fast or good enough, they get points dropped.

And aye, gedan is lower area (tell a jumping dog to "gedown!"), chudan is middle area (aiming point is the solar plexus) and jodan is head area :smile:
cool well in that case I reckon its a defo pass, Ill let u know on thurs :wink:

When I did my Karate at 9 I was always on me own, that must be why it seemed odd. I only did 5 Karate grading though. All the dam red belt tags. Jesus, all I wanted was a new belt :smile:
Reply 108
Gaskell
That used to be the key, dont draw attention to yourself. Of course, when you start getting to the higher grades theres less and less of you on the floor. For my last grading there were 3 of us (me right in the middle) with around half a dozen BBs (black-belts) in front of us. I still noticed that the lad next to me messed up Kanku Dai (the longest kata we do) when I was looking before moving :biggrin:

I think our equivilent of your "V" defence (dimexi) for grading would be sanbon-gumite (3 step sparring). It works timing, distance, technique, focus, power and control. If the attacker doesnt go to put their fist through the defender's head or their foot through their stomach, they get points dropped. If the defender's nose gets splatted (as nearly happened to the 2nd dan I did my sanbons with) because they didnt block fast or good enough, they get points dropped.

And aye, gedan is lower area (tell a jumping dog to "gedown!"), chudan is middle area (aiming point is the solar plexus) and jodan is head area :smile:
Ok; sounds interesting.. I'm sure you know we don't spar in jitsu; we mainly disarm the attacker and stick them down (with a throw - (Nage)) or immobilise them with a lock (gatami) to the wrist or arm or even both... You have to be calm (or at least try) and also control your movements and take care of the Uke... 'tis very demanding and not many people look forward to it lol and of course the browns and Dans have to defend themselves against sharp objects; but we don't get to watch that..
Reply 109
We only have 3 tags on a red belt (got 3 yellow tags on a white, then 2 green on a white before) but its very rare for someone to go through all of them before they start the kyu grades. They are only used for the kids as like an incentive to keep on with it. They can go from a yellow tag (1st mon) to yellow belt with a black tag (10th mon) in a grading if they are good enough.

Seniors start at 9th kyu (yellow belt with 2 black tags) because they can obviously concentrate on the techniques better and have more control over their arms and legs.

When I trained when I was 8 I got 3rd mon, then jumped to 5th then to 6th then quit. I walked back in aged 14 and was graded to 9th kyu without learning any more than I learnt when I was a bairn.
Reply 110
dimexi
Ok; sounds interesting.. I'm sure you know we don't spar in jitsu; we mainly disarm the attacker and stick them down (with a throw - (Nage)) or immobilise them with a lock (gatami) to the wrist or arm or even both... You have to be calm (or at least try) and also control your movements and take care of the Uke... 'tis very demanding and not many people look forward to it lol and of course the browns and Dans have to defend themselves against sharp objects; but we don't get to watch that..

I bet it would be interesting to watch, but it would be better for the students grading if there was nobody to put them off (and safer!) :eek:
Reply 111
Lol; yeah it IS safer, in Jitsu you generally don't watch the grading for the belts above..

I have heard of Dans getting stabbed during their training :bawling: :eek:
cool, I did Wado Ryu. I went straight from white to Red, then five tags on red and then it was yellow. My Dad because he was a senior did not have to do red belt or all the tags and jumped straight to yellow from white.
I do Wado Ryu Karate!
My 1st lesson back was great...not as rusty as I thought!
Learnt some new techniques.
My little sister gave up blocking my punches and punched my arm away instead!
cool how do your tags work LOL
Are tags belts?
If they are, there is a entry level course and a full Black Belt course.
im doing entry thats: White, White w/red stripe, White/yellow stripe, and up to white/brown.
And then for black belt: white, red, yellow, orange, green and up to the colours properely. I can't remember what the colours are in order!
Reply 116
I thought it took about 6 - 7 years minimu to get a black - belt... well it does in jitsu
In taekwondo there seems to be so many less stages?

When I did Karate for the seniors it was White, yellow, orange, Green, Blue, Purple, Brown and then Black. I think Brown and green had tags. My Dad got to orange and gave up
in WJJF Ju-Jitsu there are:
Red, White, Yellow, Orange, Green, Blue & White, Blue, Purple, Brown & White, Brown, Black... then it goes up to about 10th Dan (thats our director) theoretically though it goes on from there
Reply 119
what does wjjf stand for

Quick Reply

Latest