The Student Room Group

The Martial Arts Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1720
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
wrong about what and what exactly would i achieve falling ontop of a school kid on a judo mat ( apart from getting a dubious reputation)

i think you need to broaden your experience of martial arts before you can discuss this topic.

Im not a kid...second im inviting you to any judo mats to practise n to try what you are saying before talking things you just assume and third you would achieve respect every martial art is good in their own way as i said its not the art that matters its the person. One has to achieve harmony and peace with his spiritual and physical self. Hav a nice day....Arigatooo ^^
Original post by a10
Im not a kid...second im inviting you to any judo mats to practise n to try what you are saying before talking things you just assume and third you would achieve respect every martial art is good in their own way as i said its not the art that matters its the person. One has to achieve harmony and peace with his spiritual and physical self. Hav a nice day....Arigatooo ^^

Why, what would that prove ? you could join me in a muay thai gym and get punched in the face a number of times trying to close distance enough to grab me . It would be a harsh lesson to learn such a simple principle. Fighting =/= walking up to someone in a invincible bubble of protection so you can judo-throw them - i think i told someone before that only happens in computer games.
i agree that the ability of the proponent is more important than the art, what im saying is that anyone that gets fooled intoa sport competion mentality (which is how judo has turned out, like most modern grappling/mma, whether you like it or not), is spending too much time in pyjamas in a dojo. Laakorn
(edited 11 years ago)
no doubt that judo teaches many useful techniques, but those techniques need to be complemented by strikes imo, otherwise ur a very unbalanced fighter
Original post by pietro93
Guys i'm really interested in Martial Arts :biggrin:
Problem: I have never actually done any sport in almost 20 years of my life.
What is the best for me to start with :confused: I like muay thai but it's probably too dangerous since I got no training so far

dw about that, i'm sure most muay thai classes will start u off easy and build up ur basic techniques at first, every muay thai fighter had to start with no experience :smile:
Original post by HaQ_mAn_
no doubt that judo teaches many useful techniques, but those techniques need to be complemented by strikes imo, otherwise ur a very unbalanced fighter

This is pretty much true of everything though. A striker with no grappling experience will be beaten by a well-rounded fighter everytime too. It's useful to separate different arts but ultimately they all mesh together when actually used. In a fight you don't decide to use muay thai or use judo or whatever, it's all part of your arsenal. Judo has been really useful for my sweeps and knowledge of balance in muay thai and kickboxing. I think the idea that any judo fighter would never be able to clinch with a striker is nonsense though. Most judo guys in this situation don't just walk forward, they throw strikes (albeit crappy ones) to close the distance and then tie it up.
Original post by Dr. Bassman
This is pretty much true of everything though. A striker with no grappling experience will be beaten by a well-rounded fighter everytime too. It's useful to separate different arts but ultimately they all mesh together when actually used. In a fight you don't decide to use muay thai or use judo or whatever, it's all part of your arsenal. Judo has been really useful for my sweeps and knowledge of balance in muay thai and kickboxing. I think the idea that any judo fighter would never be able to clinch with a striker is nonsense though. Most judo guys in this situation don't just walk forward, they throw strikes (albeit crappy ones) to close the distance and then tie it up.

any muay thai fighter that gets taken down by a judo sweep would be an amatuer. MT guys train balance and avoudance by sparring with other MT guys.

By that reasoning, judo sweeps are hugely effective against any amatuer, small children, drunks etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
any muay thai fighter that gets taken down by a judo sweep would be an amatuer. MT guys train balance and avoudance by sparring with other MT guys.

By that reasoning, judo sweeps are hugely effective against any amatuer, small children, drunks etc.

Yeah but knowledge of balance (which is ultimately what it comes down to, not just having good balance) is more important. Muay thai guys are obviously great at that too but a great judo fighter will always have better knowledge of balance than a great muay thai fighter. The whole essence of judo is manipulation of balance, that's literally what it's all about. It's not about overpowering your opponent and forcing them onto the mat, it's all about sensing where their centre of gravity is and manipulating them in such a way that they fall to the ground without using much effort.

Muay thai fighters will obviously have a good sense of balance but it won't compare to a judo fighter's simply because a judo fighter trains that aspect more often. That said, things are different when you throw in knees, elbows and punches. A muay thai fighter could just as easily sweep a judo fighter is he threatened with knees and elbows beforehand but in pure grappling? Judo guy everytime. I wasn't actually arguing that in the first place anyway. I was just saying that having practised judo muay thai became much easier because the concepts were largely the same i.e. I know that if I push his foot out from under him while he's on one leg he'll fall down etc.
Yeah but knowledge of balance (which is ultimately what it comes down to, not just having good balance) is more important. Muay thai guys are obviously great at that too but a great judo fighter will always have better knowledge of balance than a great muay thai fighter. The whole essence of judo is manipulation of balance, that's literally what it's all about. It's not about overpowering your opponent and forcing them onto the mat, it's all about sensing where their centre of gravity is and manipulating them in such a way that they fall to the ground without using much effort.

Muay thai fighters will obviously have a good sense of balance but it won't compare to a judo fighter's simply because a judo fighter trains that aspect more often. That said, things are different when you throw in knees, elbows and punches. A muay thai fighter could just as easily sweep a judo fighter is he threatened with knees and elbows beforehand but in pure grappling? Judo guy everytime. I wasn't actually arguing that in the first place anyway. I was just saying that having practised judo muay thai became much easier because the concepts were largely the same i.e. I know that if I push his foot out from under him while he's on one leg he'll fall down etc.

again no- virtually all martial arts involve an understanding of balance, including boxing. judo applies the idea of balance , centre of gravity and leverage to topple somone, even if that means you go over too - muay thai applies the principle of staying your feet. So in a thai clinch the head is controlled, giving less opportunity for the opponent to maneover hips to get into a throwing position, and keeping even weight distrubtion on both of their own feet. All this while thinking about throwing/blocking elbows, headclash, and if particualty good a solid knee to the ribcage. Your average judo black belt will never have had to think about any of that wrestling on a dojo mat.
foot sweeps are found in muay thai too, but if you trained it you would know only beginners get swept to the floor, a dcent MT guy can stay standing/hopping on one leg and holding on to your neck. Why would he mess around trying to trip you up when he can put his elbow through your temple and end the fight.
(edited 11 years ago)
again no- virtually all martial arts involve an understanding of balance, including boxing. judo applies the idea of balance , centre of gravity and leverage to topple somone, even if that means you go over too - muay thai applies the principle of staying your feet. So in a thai clinch the head is controlled, giving less opportunity for the opponent to maneover hips to get into a throwing position, and keeping even weight distrubtion on both of their own feet. All this while thinking about throwing/blocking elbows, headclash, and if particualty good a solid knee to the ribcage. Your average judo black belt will never have had to think about any of that wrestling on a dojo mat.
foot sweeps are found in muay thai too, but if you trained it you would know only beginners get swept to the floor, a dcent MT guy can stay standing/hopping on one leg and holding on to your neck. Why would he mess around trying to trip you up when he can put his elbow through your temple and end the fight.

I'm not even arguing with you man haha. You just want to argue about everything and you're still claiming I don't train in muay thai which has just gotten silly. You should spend more time training instead of trawling internet forums looking for people who train in judo to argue with.
I'm not even arguing with you man haha. You just want to argue about everything and you're still claiming I don't train in muay thai which has just gotten silly. You should spend more time training instead of trawling internet forums looking for people who train in judo to argue with.

was i arguing:confused: you largely jsut repeated above what i had already said about judo,
id only correct you if you said something wrong, like the comment about sweeping muay thai guys and i thought you said before you did kick boxing, not muay thai, you didnt know the difference after all.
maybe you should stick to commenting on stuff you know about - like judo. Then id have to bow to your knowledge
Hmm. I may have walked in the wrong time with the debate going on.
Anyway, I only do WTF Taekwondo as a sport as of now because school has been keeping me busy. Everyone will probably hate me for doing WTF but I just love the competition behind it and it's fun. I stopped Shotokan a few years ago since I couldn't find a club near me, though I intend to continue if I find one in the future (most likely in Uni). Looking for an ITF Taekwondo club as well so I can learn the more "traditional" side of TKD. Starting Muay Thai or Wing Chun next summer too.

I say that, but I probably won't get to train most of the ones I've mentioned since school and job is taking my time away.
Original post by kishihime
Hmm. I may have walked in the wrong time with the debate going on.
Anyway, I only do WTF Taekwondo as a sport as of now because school has been keeping me busy. Everyone will probably hate me for doing WTF but I just love the competition behind it and it's fun. I stopped Shotokan a few years ago since I couldn't find a club near me, though I intend to continue if I find one in the future (most likely in Uni). Looking for an ITF Taekwondo club as well so I can learn the more "traditional" side of TKD. Starting Muay Thai or Wing Chun next summer too.

I say that, but I probably won't get to train most of the ones I've mentioned since school and job is taking my time away.

noone going to ask?
ok
WTF is WTF taekwondo?
noone going to ask?
ok
WTF is WTF taekwondo?

World Taekwondo Federation, basically the "sports" side of it. It's what you see in the Olympics.

ITF would be International Taekwondo Federation which is the more "traditional" side of TKD.
Indo I train Muay Thai and Judo. You're talking absolute nonsense.
was i arguing:confused: you largely jsut repeated above what i had already said about judo,
id only correct you if you said something wrong, like the comment about sweeping muay thai guys and i thought you said before you did kick boxing, not muay thai, you didnt know the difference after all.
maybe you should stick to commenting on stuff you know about - like judo. Then id have to bow to your knowledge

I do both. I've said plenty of times that I do muay thai as well. You're either stupid or just a troll.
I <3 arguments when they dont involve me. :mmm:

sent from my Sony Ericsson Xperia Play
I do both. I've said plenty of times that I do muay thai as well. You're either stupid or just a troll.

actually you asked me 'whats the difference' between muay thai and kickboxing back when we were talking about it, so i completly doubt the above. also your schoolboy assertion that a grappler automatically takes any striker down smacks of someone that has never trained muay thai before.

ask a judo player whats the difference between muay thai and kickboxing - get a silly answer.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by kishihime
World Taekwondo Federation, basically the "sports" side of it. It's what you see in the Olympics.

ITF would be International Taekwondo Federation which is the more "traditional" side of TKD.

ah ok, thanks
actually you asked me 'whats the difference' between muay thai and kickboxing back when we were talking about it, so i completly doubt the above. also your schoolboy assertion that a grappler automatically takes any striker down smacks of someone that has never trained muay thai before.

ask a judo player whats the difference between muay thai and kickboxing - get a silly answer.

What? No I didn't, you totally just made that up. I also never said that a grappler automatically takes down a striker.

I'm so confused... I'm not even very good at judo at all. I'm way more of a striker than a grappler and yet you insist that I'm a judo guy who's never done any real striking. It's just weird dude. There's nothing I can really say, you've gone full Bill O'Reilly.
What? No I didn't, you totally just made that up. I also never said that a grappler automatically takes down a striker.

I'm so confused... I'm not even very good at judo at all. I'm way more of a striker than a grappler and yet you insist that I'm a judo guy who's never done any real striking. It's just weird dude. There's nothing I can really say, you've gone full Bill O'Reilly.

i asked you if you knew that muay thai and kickboxing are very different things, which you indicate you didnt know this basic fact, hence i had to explain the principle of 4 point striking as oppossed to 8 or 9 - its not just the difference of 5 less striking options, the two are fought in completly differnt styles.

you then said, and i quote-

That said, the style of kickboxing I train in is really just muay thai without all of the clinching and elbows, with some karate/TKD influence .

Which is nothing like muay thai, its probably more like karate or tkd, but a school kid that has not experienced MT would call kickboxing class 'muay thai without elbows'
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest