Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

£250 Bottle Of Champagne Dilemma.

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: Do you have a problem with this?
    I DONT have a problem with this and WOULD drink it.
    80.00%
    I DO have a problem with this and WOULD drink it.
    14.00%
    I DO have a problem with this and WOULDNT drink it.
    6.00%

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    Why? To clarify im not Christian, I just belive it sums up my view on money as it relates to morality.
    So everyone should share out their money with everyone else? That would provide a great motivation to work, wouldn't it!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    He was quite irritated at this as he initialy wanted just me and him to share the bottle (an idea that is even more shocking to me. £125 is alot of money to those who need it).
    I'd have taken him up on this bit. In this weather I'd have sat us in the garden or gone down the park, sat in the sun and quaffed it from the bottle. Lush.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    A couple of things. All he wanted to do was share what is a quite extravagant present with you, and you refused on the grounds of its' extravagance. And he has every right to feel quite insulted.

Another thing. That bottle is going to be drunk whether you drink it or not. Your not drinking it as a big moral stand will do absolutely nothing.

He's being generous for goodness sake just ****ing accept his generosity.

That isn't to say I don't understand your dilemma. I do. Infact I had a similar situation this week. A friend of mine. Her parents came up to uni and bought me, and 5 others (not including themselves) dinner, and then drinks (good drinks as well. 20 year old scotch etc.). Now part of me felt understandably guilty about them indulging us like this, but they'd offered to, and in that situation the best and most grateful thing to do. Is to let them.

And I understand the dilemma. It feels very strange that the best thing to do in this situation is to let them indulge you in this way. Something about it doesn't feel quite right. I get that.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im being serious dorito and I think its made quite an intresting discussion on tsr!

Why are these views silly? I belive the verse "it is easer for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rick man to enter the kingdom of heven" rings true here.
    Life is to short man, it's all about the experiences - not turning something down because you disagree with how much it costs (especially seeing as it hasn't cost you or your friend anything). You're from a low-income background, like many others, so surely you'd want to experience the finer things in life when/if the opportunity presents itself, I know I would. Nothing happens if you say no mate, the bottle will be drunk and expensive champange will continue to be made, whether or not you agree with it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i could understand your hesitation if you not drinking it meant that the money would go somewhere more worthwhile... but it wont...
    the money has been spent... you not drinking it wont change anything other than the fact you will have a glass of champagne... i personally dont like champagne and have to murder it with orange juice to be able to drink it.... yet my family still have a bottle of champagne on my birthday/graduation ...not such a shockingly expensive one obviously...but still i dont even like the stuff and they try and make me have some just because its my birthday lol

im sorry but if i was your friend id be upset... id feel that i should be ashamed of having family who can afford to spend that kind of money on something so i dont know what word i want but insert what you feel is appropriate here :.........: .... can you honestly say if you could afford to you wouldnt buy your friends/family expensive gifts? i have an agreement with my friends that if we win the lottery (not that we actually do the lottery so would be quite a surprise!) were buying everyone in our friend group this bottle of perfume the bottle is beautiful... perfume smells dodgy... but bottle sooo pretty

money is a stupid thing that means nothing yet so many people make such a big deal of it... money is money... it doesnt make a person... your the same if you have money in your pocket or not, the people who let that affect them are idiots... myself and my friend have enjoyed a rather expensive bottle of sparkley stuff together and a bottle of cherry lambrini and you know what... who cares how much they cost... what mattered was the company not the drink... we could have been drinking tap water and it would have been just as good...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    A friend of my dad refused an elaborate meal offerd to him by a wealthy buisness partner in India in reflection of the poverly of Kerola, do you feel this was the corect action to take?
    Was the money not spent on the meal going to go to help the poor in Kerola? If not. Then I hardly would consider that the best action to take.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of whether you think it's excessive or not, your friend isn't going to give you 1/6 of the £250 just because you don't drink the champagne. It's a lot of money but you're going to have to accept that people spend it in different ways and on things which you might not approve of.

I'd drink it even though it would cover my own food bill for a whole uni term.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The only thing that would stop me drinking that is the fact it's champagne :sick:

When it comes to it, the money has been spent. He wants to share this fantastic gift with you to celebrate his birthday. It's not your money so don't think about it like you have any say, because you don't.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't feel comfortable drinking something that had cost so much,however, I haven't spent that money,it has already been spent, and it is being offered to me for free, so I would drink it.
    £250 is almost two months of food for myself and my boyfriend, and spending so much on a single bottle of champagne is ridiculous in my opinion, but each to their own I say, and if I had the opportunity to taste that champagne (a once in a lifetime opportunity for me) I would, but would make my feelings known before the event so as to not offend afterwards.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    I think it's a colossal waste of money to spend so much on one bottle, when actually cheaper Champagnes, as is the case with many types of wines, can often win out on taste testes compared to the super premium options.

However he was given it as a gift and wants to share it with his friends. I understand the sentiment that makes you reluctant to drink it, a full champagne flute would cost around £50-60?

To be honest though I'd just accept it and not cause some sort of friction between you when he's only trying to be nice.

It would be a bit like a rich friend inviting me some Michelin star restaurant where a full course dinner costs into the hundreds and you get those little servings on tiny plates. I'd feel it was a total waste of money, but I wouldn't be paying for it and if that's what they wanted to do, then so be it.
    Taste testes?! That doesnt sound hygeinic.

OP I think you should just drink the damn chhampagne
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its a waste of cash yh, But its need to be drink.. You would feel much worse if he just poured your share down the drain wouldn't you then that would really be inequality
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Money principles shouldn't come between friends. Rich people have worked hard to earn their money and should be allowed to spend it how they like.

If your friend regularly overspends you must be used to it by now. If this is a one-off and he's actually pretty poor then he is actually quite astute, you only turn 18 once so might as well go all out.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Hashen for replying with such a fair and rational argument, its appriciated!
    I think that maby some who have no problem with accpeting the champagne do not see money on the same scale as other, which is fine, im on no moral crusade here! Its just hard as the friend and his family are wealthy and mine and my past is, well, proverty (Not anymore though throught years of hardwork from my parents)
    In the event of me being there when it is opened I do have the excuse that it gives me cramps, so the only person who I am offending here is the friend. However I hope he comes around to understanding my point of view. Im still undecided on the matter of having a token small glass. Ill have to sleep on it the next few days...
    As I say, I think your humility is admirable and surely your friend will understand. Excuse me while I go massively off topic to explain my positioning. :P

It's just always a risk for such a moral decision to be taken the wrong way by some who can't understand where you came from. I'm extremely privileged, but I am the son of a mother of 'good birth' and a father who worked his way up from working in a cigarette factory during school to earn enough money to achieve the upward social mobility he wanted. Although he was adamant that his children should never 'go hungry', he insisted that we should know what it is to work for the things you need. He never sent us out to work to get money to contribute to the family as he had, but he certainly won't give any handouts. To be honest I think it's the greatest gift he ever gave to his children, and now I can fully appreciate why he did it, as I see school friends who were given the world only to have achieved nothing but to spend their parents fortunes.

That said, ironically I think my 'choice' to be 'humble' is really far from admirable. I feel there is something really rather bourgeoisie and pretentious about being able to choose to live a life which is voluntarily free from 'frills'. ANYYYWAY, the point I was going to make is that growing up and being self aware of my privilege was a bit of a double edge sword really. I began to develop a bit of a chip on my shoulder about other people spending their money excessively. It took me a long time to realise that although personally it makes me feel uncomfortable, it's something that they are use to. It doesn't make them any worse as people, nor does it make them immoral, nor give me a sense of moral superiority. What I really came to realise is that I shouldn't judge others on how they opt to spend their money, no matter how much I disagree with it. All I can do is ensure that the life I live is one in which I feel is morally justified, and hopefully can help other people along the way. I totally understand the way you feel though, and have thought similar things at times in my life, but I suppose all you can really do is:

If you feel uncomfortable about drinking the champagne, don't drink it. Personally I wouldn't say anything about it to my friends, but if you wouldn't feel right about it, why put yourself through that?

If you feel comfortable giving it a try to celebrate their birthday, realise that it is a gift and given in good spirits. Having a glass won't change what you stand for, nor will it make you any less of a person for doing so. The very fact you care about these sorts of issues implies that you genuinely care, so just ensure that your life is one in which you would spend your money on things which are perhaps more helpful to others/of more use.

Wow, that turned into a bit of an essay. I don't think you're in the wrong either way though. Anyway, there you have it, the argument of a filthy liberal, and as my friends have called me many times, a 'champagne Bolshevik'.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Where's the dilemma?

If you like champagne drink, if you don't then don't.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    So my friend recived this as a gift from a relative for his 18th.

Now I have no problem with this as a gift for him. However he is saying he wants to break it open on his birthday evening with about 6 people there.

Now thats all good and fine but I warned him that if he does I wont be having a glass. (I told him beforehand to save any argument on the day)

Now my reasons I didnt smear in his face but he knows why. Its because I cant agree to drink a glass of champagne that covers the food bill of my family this week.

He was quite irritated at this as he initialy wanted just me and him to share the bottle (an idea that is even more shocking to me. £125 is alot of money to those who need it).

How do you feel tsr?
    You're hardly encouraging such frivolous spending by having a half or a sixth of something that's already been paid for. In any case, I'm sure there are things you use that do things that cheaper things could have done, like tiles for your roof instead of bin bags, windows instead of bin bags, pillows instead of bin bags, carpets instead of bin bags etc.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    While I do think that the £250 was poorly spent, I wouldn't have any problem drinking it if offered to me for free.
    Although if I was in his position I would have requested whisky rather than champagne, it would last longer and I would personally enjoy it far far more.

I've had fairly expensive champagne and my experiences suggest that I prefer the cheaper stuff.
    Whereas the opposite is generally true for scotch.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    er spending £250 on food for a family for a week is ****ing loads anyway so you must be quite well off, how can you seriously think this is a reason to not a share a drink with your mate on his brithday. He didn't even buy it himself ffs.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fantaisie)
    er spending £250 on food for a family for a week is ****ing loads anyway so you must be quite well off, how can you seriously think this is a reason to not a share a drink with your mate on his brithday. He didn't even buy it himself ffs.
    I think the op said, a glass would cost more than a food budget for a week. So depending on how big your measures are I suppose it's variable. I like to think you already knew that, and to you a glass IS a bottle
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think you should try it just to realise that you really aren't missing anything... most people, no matter how poor, have drank at least one glass of expensive alcohol in their lives. I mean you might find it wrong to spend £200k on a Ferrari, but it would be fun to drive one for just a day wouldn't it? I admire your rigorous adherence to your beliefs, but I think you might be adding pointless stress to your life. Pick your battles!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 1, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.