Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

did the jewish faith invent racism?

Announcements Posted on
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by da_nolo)
    first statement notes that there were multiple groups or nations before the Israel - before Abraham - that maintained a since of pride or inward concern. a flop on the idea that Israel/Jews created a form of nationalism when other groups acted in similar if not same ways.

for the second.
    Thank you for acknowledging we know about something; which means its not really a secret. If there are things we don't know about then why hint towards them while speaking about things we do know about.

all I'm saying is that the sentence provided seemed a bit suggestive towards your earlier comments on how they could be racist. feeding the thought they could be sneaky buggers without saying it. just a tricky comment that does not add to a conversation or thread, but only feeds fears. lets curb that and keep to learning.
    We are talking about the Jews here not the Assyrians, or the Babylonians. No-one can deny that these civilisations had a strong sense of nationalism. But the Jewish people took this national pride to an all new different level; to an almost sublime level. The Assyrians disliked the Egyptians and vice-a-versa. The Egyptians seem to have been okay with the Hittites. The Greeks were okay with the Egyptians and vice-a-versa. The Jewish people took sides against everyone, the Egyptians, the Babylonians, the Assyrians. The Jews' sense of national pride was zealous in the extreme (ever heard of the Sicarii?). More than any other peoples I have read about, the Jewish people had a very strong sense of national pride, which was enshrined in their god Yahweh. Yahweh is a god for the Jews only. This sense of strict national pride, tide to the land, the people and the religion - to their way of life - as it was, I have not read as much from their neighbours. In terms of national pride on a sublime level, not even the Code of Manu (laws of Hindu caste system) compares to the Talmud.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    We are talking about the Jews here not the Assyrians, or the Babylonians. No-one can deny that these civilisations had a strong sense of nationalism. But the Jewish people took this national pride to an all new different level; to an almost sublime level. The Assyrians disliked the Egyptians and vice-a-versa. The Egyptians seem to have been okay with the Hittites. The Greeks were okay with the Egyptians and vice-a-versa. The Jewish people took sides against everyone, the Egyptians, the Babylonians, the Assyrians. The Jews' sense of national pride was zealous in the extreme (ever heard of the Sicarii?). More than any other peoples I have read about, the Jewish people had a very strong sense of national pride, which was enshrined in their god Yahweh. Yahweh is a god for the Jews only. This sense of strict national pride, tide to the land, the people and the religion - to their way of life - as it was, I have not read as much from their neighbours. In terms of national pride on a sublime level, not even the Code of Manu (laws of Hindu caste system) compares to the Talmud.
    I find it beyond amusing that you declare your knowledge of the Talmud - arguably the most complicated text in the world - when it takes 7 years to complete the Daf Yomi (a page a day, approx 1 hour analysing) cycle. And that cycle involves brief analysis of these pages - without delving into the works of the Talmud's many commentators.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    You sound as if the Jews kept their Lord only to themselves; yet they opened their beliefs to the world. If you think not, then how else could have the nation grown? Abraham preached for converts as did many prophets.

it was not God "only for the Jews" it was the one and only God of all. ruler of all.

Still, I ask to consider Sparta of Greece. Consider Rome, the "light of the world".
    There are more proud nations than little ole Israel. That still has everyone they'd ever met try to stomp on them and/or stomp them out of existence (practically).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roadlesstravelled)
    if one looks at the old testament and the talmud its clear that the first religion to codify race hatred is judism.

judism was talking about hating and exploiting 'gentiles' for thousands of years before gentiles even knew what a gentile was.

the proper name for gentiles is 'goyim'......which translates as cattle.

i ask this question because a lot of people on here go on about the evils of organised monotheistic religions -- christianity and islam -- and of course the father of these religions is judism.

so if these religions are so bad, then surely the blame must derive from the source -- ie, the judaic faith itself?

controversial question yes, but, logically sound. what do people think?

Lol at Goyim meaning cattle Goyim actually and initially meant nations but later on in the second-temple period it started to become a term used exclusively for
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SleepySheep)
    Nah, she's right. Goy is Yiddish. Yiddish words always seep into Hebrew.
    lol גוי is most definitely a Hebrew world
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew12)
    lol גוי is most definitely a Hebrew world
    Bit late lol, already went through this on the page before. I thought its current meaning (i.e non-jew) was from Yiddish, even though it's a word that originated from bib Hebrew (meaning nation), but a quick google told me I was wrong and its current meaning is both Yiddish and Hebrew. It is the only word meaning non-Jew that Yiddish people really use though, hence why I thought it was Yiddish
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    Racism isn't necessarilyabout skin colour. Anthropologically speaking, "racism" is hatred towards people of different ethnicities. Ethnicities are defined by culture. Culture is a particular ways of dressing, talking, worshipping a god and any other ideas that the group may share.
    Not everyone in those faiths will hate people from others.
    You kind of summed yourself up there, from what I've seen from your posts you really seem to hate Islam and Muslims, and also Orthodox Judaism.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Study)
    Not everyone in those faiths will hate people from others.
    You kind of summed yourself up there, from what I've seen from your posts you really seem to hate Islam and Muslims, and also Orthodox Judaism.
    I didn't say everyone, did I? I just defined racism for you.

You're right that I hate Islam and Judaism. Muslims with attitudes such as yourself are detestable too, but I wouldn't say I hate all muslims. Stop jumping to conclusions.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 31, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.