The Student Room Group

Do supermodels look average without makeup?

Scroll to see replies

I don't think they're totally makeup free in all photos
Reply 21
Not especially pretty tbh... Catwalk models are hired for being tall and anorexic looking, if anything a lot of them have boyish faces.
Reply 22
Original post by No Future
I don't think they're totally makeup free in all photos

Yh adriana lima (first photo) is not makeup free
Reply 23
Original post by Fantaisie
no, anyone can look **** in photographs esp if they are older like Kate Moss. But you simply can't be a model without having stunning bone structure and a way above average face.

I think a few of them do not look particularly attractive at all. But I think sometimes supermodels are picked for having somewhat unusual facial features. They look striking rather than attractive (to a man anyway). I suppose the thing is men aren't their target market, so it's not necessarily important that they are attractive to men.
I'm mostly surprised by the amount of cleavage going on in the no make up shots. I thought they were all supposed to be on the brink of starvation?
Original post by TheSmithsIndeed
Adriana Lima is simply stunning.

This thread just reinforces the fact that she is perfection.
Supermodels are not meant to be good looking. they were simply designed to have skinny frames to allow clothes to hang off them as the designers intended, with striking features to attract attention. The whole 'they have to be skinny & beautiful' is just societies projection onto them.
(edited 11 years ago)
I doubt they look average at all, makeup or not.
The most stunning woman in the world is capable of having a bad photo. I hate how when the press manages to take a horrific photo of someone and all of the readers are so happy to jump on it and be all 'see how good PhotoShoh and make up artistry is' to boost their self esteem until the next red carpet shots come out.

I wish the world would stop obsessing over things like this. And one final point, people on here seem to be confusing super models with cat walk models. It's the cat walk models who tend to be ultra thin. Super models nowadays tend to have the supremely toned and fit sort of look.
Reply 29
Most would certainly look better without the makeup if it wasn't for the frowning.
I find supermodels in general to be pretty weird looking. Their faces are usually too boney and pointy for my liking.
Reply 31
Some of the pictures on the right are damn scary - make up or not!
Reply 32
The purpose of supermodels is to not look pretty. They're chosen on two grounds, their weight and their facial structure. Swimsuit models are more attractive and so are female actors, those professions care more about attractiveness than supermodels. Having said that, they're not average, they're above average from seeing the average British girl.
Selita Ebanks, Noemi Lenoir, Emily Didonao and Adriana Lima still look beautiful. kate Moss and Elle Mcphearson look weird and unattractive. Naomi Campbell looks like she needs vaseline or something. :tongue: The rest are striking, not beautiful but interesting.
Why do the majority of the 'without makeup' pictures look like they've been taken in a police station
The only photo that is unflattering is the one of Kate Moss before photoshop, the rest look beautiful, especially Adriana Lima.
Original post by crocker710
Why do the majority of the 'without makeup' pictures look like they've been taken in a police station

I think they need to take a profile picture with a plain background for modelling jobs, but could be wrong.
I've never thought of Kate Moss as beautiful, she looks like a cod on crack.
Original post by Add!ction
I've never thought of Kate Moss as beautiful, she looks like a cod on crack.

This :rofl2: put so well!
Good gracious me, most of those photographs aren't very flattering. Some of them look like aliens.

Anybody can look bad without make-up, but I think it plays a big part in supermodels' success: a lot of them look really unhealthy and unattractive without make-up, but have the features and proportions that make them look good once made-up and / or Photoshopped. I know even if I was Photoshopped I would still look ridiculous if I wasn't to drastically change my face and look like a completely different person.

Emily DiDonato looked adorable without make-up, though, I must say.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest