The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by skier16
Wow that's a lot of languages!:eek: Have fun with Spanish, it's a great language.

Haha, indeed it is! I'm a bit of a languages nutter actually. :colondollar: I'm looking forward to Spanish and hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult as there are quite a few similarities to French. However, if I find that it's too overwhelming trying to juggle three languages, then I could potentially drop Spanish or move down to Int 2. Plus, I'd get more free periods. :colone:
Reply 241
Original post by Grozdova.
Haha, indeed it is! I'm a bit of a languages nutter actually. :colondollar: I'm looking forward to Spanish and hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult as there are quite a few similarities to French. However, if I find that it's too overwhelming trying to juggle three languages, then I could potentially drop Spanish or move down to Int 2. Plus, I'd get more free periods. :colone:

Languages are the best:biggrin: I was considering doing crash French this year but our French department is so awful I don't think it would go too well...
Do you want to carry on with languages at Uni?
Original post by skier16
Languages are the best:biggrin: I was considering doing crash French this year but our French department is so awful I don't think it would go too well...
Do you want to carry on with languages at Uni?

Special linguists. :cool::biggrin: I see what you mean as a good/bad teacher can make all the difference really. In response to your question, I want to carry on with languages at uni. I'd be doing French and German, but if I had the option to pick up a third language then I might also pick up Russian/Italian/Spanish. Are you also planning to carry on with languages? You seem really passionate about them! :smile:
Haha, indeed it is! I'm a bit of a languages nutter actually. :colondollar:

Does it run in the family? :wink:
Original post by TheFOMaster
Does it run in the family? :wink:

Gotta say it does! Ladymarshallow is just as batty as I am about adjective endings and verb tenses! Also, my mum did languages at university and then she lived in Austria and Switzerland for a couple of years, so she's basically fluent in German. My dad isn't into languages that much, but he does know some French and Russian. In fact, we have quite a lot of random foreign language books and films around the house. :colondollar:
Reply 245
Special linguists. :cool::biggrin: I see what you mean as a good/bad teacher can make all the difference really. In response to your question, I want to carry on with languages at uni. I'd be doing French and German, but if I had the option to pick up a third language then I might also pick up Russian/Italian/Spanish. Are you also planning to carry on with languages? You seem really passionate about them! :smile:

Haha yeah I'm looking at doing Spanish and German. Like you if I had the chance to pick up a third one it would probably be Russian:biggrin:
Do you have your sights set on any particular Uni or course yet?
Gotta say it does! Ladymarshallow is just as batty as I am about adjective endings and verb tenses! Also, my mum did languages at university and then she lived in Austria and Switzerland for a couple of years, so she's basically fluent in German. My dad isn't into languages that much, but he does know some French and Russian. In fact, we have quite a lot of random foreign language books and films around the house. :colondollar:

Oh my :tongue: Well... I know a itty bit of german... I wouldn't understand it if you were talking to me though :rolleyes: I always watch foreign films, I just have literally no talent at picking up the words. Subtitles FTW :lol: TEACH ME YOUR WAYS!!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by skier16
Haha yeah I'm looking at doing Spanish and German. Like you if I had the chance to pick up a third one it would probably be Russian:biggrin:
Do you have your sights set on any particular Uni or course yet?

Yeah, Russian just seems really interesting and Russia also has great literature and history/culture. I'm not really sure about where I'd like to go at the moment, but St Andrews looks nice and the course looks interesting. Newcastle also has an interesting course - includes modules on French slang! If I get the grades I may apply to Cambridge, but I'm still really uncertain about that. Are you planning to stick to Scottish universities or do you think you'd apply to one or two English ones?
Original post by TheFOMaster
Oh my :tongue: Well... I know a itty bit of german... I wouldn't understand it if you were talking to me though :rolleyes: I always watch foreign films, I just have literally no talent at picking up the words. Subtitles FTW :lol: TEACH ME YOUR WAYS!!

Ditto about foreign films - they deserve more appreciation! Sometimes I watch a film and I feel fairly confident as I'm able to understand maybe oe or two bits without subtitles, however at other times my confidence can be blown to bits because I just can't understand anything. Mumbling French speakers are the worst. :angry: Hmm, I basically just try and have a bit of fun with the language - I listen to a lot of Disney songs or watch films or read books. I know that's poor advice, but the key is not to think of languages as a chore. :colondollar:
Reply 249
Yeah, Russian just seems really interesting and Russia also has great literature and history/culture. I'm not really sure about where I'd like to go at the moment, but St Andrews looks nice and the course looks interesting. Newcastle also has an interesting course - includes modules on French slang! If I get the grades I may apply to Cambridge, but I'm still really uncertain about that. Are you planning to stick to Scottish universities or do you think you'd apply to one or two English ones?

French slang?! Haha that would be interesting:biggrin:
I'm sticking to Scottish Unis I think. My school doesn't offer AH Spanish so I won't have the 3 AHs you need to apply down south - I'm only doing 2 and a crash Higher.
Good luck for Cambridge and I'd say to go for it! A guy in the year above at my school has an offer from there to study German and Italian and he said it looks amazing.
St Andrews is probably my 2nd choice. Heriot Watt have 2 amazing looking courses called Applied Languages and Translating, and Interpreting and Translating, which really appeal to me. Literature isn't my strong point and Higher English has sort of put me off it even more:colondollar: First year modules at HW also include politics and/or history of your chosen country which looks really interesting.
Does anyone know how long it would take to be fluent in a language if they moved to that country? Well obviously it's subjective but in general is it a lot easier to pick up? Just thinking that it would be quite daunting going to a foreign place and not being able to pick up the language

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by munchen102
Does anyone know how long it would take to be fluent in a language if they moved to that country? Well obviously it's subjective but in general is it a lot easier to pick up? Just thinking that it would be quite daunting going to a foreign place and not being able to pick up the language

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think one year of serious immersion in a country could take you to basic fluency. I think if you were going to do that, however, it is recommended that you have a rudimentary knowledge at least before you go.
(edited 10 years ago)
Just curious, but is it common for people to apply to uni post Advanced Highers? For example, if someone got stellar results in their highers (but not the best they could have achieved) but then went on to get AAA at AH level.
Original post by ladymarshmallow
Just curious, but is it common for people to apply to uni post Advanced Highers? For example, if someone got stellar results in their highers (but not the best they could have achieved) but then went on to get AAA at AH level.

Yes, I'd imagine so. Well if your higher results weren't terrible (I'd imagine they'd not be if you were doing 3 AH) but if you got 3A AH then you in most cases would meet entry for 2nd year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 254
Original post by ladymarshmallow

Yep, it is. Most of the people that did well at my school stayed on and did some AHs and applied to uni then. I don't think any of them took 2nd year entry either.
Hey! Just creating a general discussion for us who are entering out final year at school!, what are we hoping to do? What subjects have you chosen?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending