The Student Room Group

Accountancy compared to solicitors, wages and hours.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by livefires
Speaking from experience of the PwC recruitment process (starting audit in September), I can tell you that the process is tough but mainly enjoyable. I don't have any relevant work experience and found that this didn't inhibit me in any way, the recruiters and the director who interviewed me seemed to focus more on the competencies discussed on the website. I come from a scientific background and the director was interested in discussing the reason for my change of direction so that would be something to consider when you're preparing for the interviews.

If you have no experience then I would recommend that you apply to attend an Insight Day at your local PwC office, that'll give you the opportunity to get a feel for the job and meet some qualified accountants and ask them any questions you might have about training contracts.

How tough are the tests? What other routes are there into accountancy aside from the big 4?
Reply 21
I went to the University of Aberdeen. I sat Highers and Advanced Highers rather than GCSEs and A levels but I got As and Bs - KPMG rejected me on the basis of my academic performance which surprised the director at my PwC interview.

From what I've heard the recruitment process might have changed slightly but I can tell you what it was for me. First off was the application form - there weren't any questions about motivation on it, it was all focussed around academic performance and work experience. I then had to answer an essay question detailing my ideal client and the services that PwC could offer them in 500 words or less but they've since removed this step. Next was the online tests: numerical, verbal, logical and a psychometric. The tests were administered by SHL and I didn't complete the numerical one but still got through. After the tests I had a phone interview with a recruiter based on some of the competencies on the website (tell me a time when you worked in a team; tell me about a time you had to stand up to someone in authority; etc), this can also be done in the office you applied to depending on interview availability.

The next step was an assessment centre. At this they played a video about PwC and then gave us an opportunity to ask questions of some current members of the grad schemes. Then we re-sat the numerical and logical tests on paper and had a written assessment which involved reading a brief and writing recommendations based on the brief. The last thing we had to do at the AC was a group exercise where everyone had a common brief and a unique brief, you have to present your unique brief and, as a group, decide on the best course of action. They throw in a game changer 5 minutes before the end of the group exercise.

The final stage is the partner interview although it's sometimes conducted by a director as it was in my case. This is more about finding out your motivations, why PwC, why this office, why accountancy, but it also covers the final few competencies (curiosity, desire to learn, sharing knowledge with others, things like that). My interview lasted nearly 2 hours but it didn't feel like it at the time.
Reply 22
Being an Accountant is easier I would say.
I went to the University of Aberdeen. I sat Highers and Advanced Highers rather than GCSEs and A levels but I got As and Bs - KPMG rejected me on the basis of my academic performance which surprised the director at my PwC interview.

From what I've heard the recruitment process might have changed slightly but I can tell you what it was for me. First off was the application form - there weren't any questions about motivation on it, it was all focussed around academic performance and work experience. I then had to answer an essay question detailing my ideal client and the services that PwC could offer them in 500 words or less but they've since removed this step. Next was the online tests: numerical, verbal, logical and a psychometric. The tests were administered by SHL and I didn't complete the numerical one but still got through. After the tests I had a phone interview with a recruiter based on some of the competencies on the website (tell me a time when you worked in a team; tell me about a time you had to stand up to someone in authority; etc), this can also be done in the office you applied to depending on interview availability.

The next step was an assessment centre. At this they played a video about PwC and then gave us an opportunity to ask questions of some current members of the grad schemes. Then we re-sat the numerical and logical tests on paper and had a written assessment which involved reading a brief and writing recommendations based on the brief. The last thing we had to do at the AC was a group exercise where everyone had a common brief and a unique brief, you have to present your unique brief and, as a group, decide on the best course of action. They throw in a game changer 5 minutes before the end of the group exercise.

The final stage is the partner interview although it's sometimes conducted by a director as it was in my case. This is more about finding out your motivations, why PwC, why this office, why accountancy, but it also covers the final few competencies (curiosity, desire to learn, sharing knowledge with others, things like that). My interview lasted nearly 2 hours but it didn't feel like it at the time.

Oh wow, so it is pretty long winded, but it doesn't sound too difficult that you couldn't prepare for it. Thanks, what degree did you do? I don't think I'd get into anyone other than PwC as I only have C in GCSE Maths. For the numerical test, is it basic maths?
Original post by non
Being an Accountant is easier I would say.

I didn't say 'ease'. Both are well respected professional occupations.
Reply 25
I started the application at the end of October and got the job offer at the start of February. The process goes quite quickly in general but I had Christmas and then surgery to recover from so it took me a little longer than normal I guess.

My undergrad was in biotechnology and I'm currently writing up my PhD thesis in Molecular Microbiology. The numerical was quite tough I found but was mainly percentages, ratios, currency conversions and that kind of thing. I ran out of time for it both online and on paper but I think it's generally more important to get the answers right than to answer them all. I'd recommend practising before you do the tests - wikijobs has loads of threads with helpful preparatory websites and SHL themselves have a practise assessment that I suggest you use as final preparation.
Reply 26
Would just like to say that I'm finding this discussion very interesting and informative, thanks to those who have contributed usefully.

I too am considering a career in law as a solicitor, but have also been intrigued by the route to accountancy through the 'big 4', probably slightly influenced by my father being an accountant. However, I (possibly naively) thought my sub-par maths results marked such a career as unlikely, which seems to have been somewhat unfounded...
Reply 27
I started the application at the end of October and got the job offer at the start of February. The process goes quite quickly in general but I had Christmas and then surgery to recover from so it took me a little longer than normal I guess.

My undergrad was in biotechnology and I'm currently writing up my PhD thesis in Molecular Microbiology. The numerical was quite tough I found but was mainly percentages, ratios, currency conversions and that kind of thing. I ran out of time for it both online and on paper but I think it's generally more important to get the answers right than to answer them all. I'd recommend practising before you do the tests - wikijobs has loads of threads with helpful preparatory websites and SHL themselves have a practise assessment that I suggest you use as final preparation.

Did you go for London or regional? Also, which area did you go for? :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by ForKicks
Did you go for London or regional? Also, which area did you go for? :smile:

Regional - Hull office. I like the idea of knowing the names of most of the people I'm working with :smile:

congratulations on your offer! And good luck with your operation recovery. Can I ask, if you followed a science route, what has made you switch to accountancy?
Reply 30
Original post by victoryshinesonus
congratulations on your offer! And good luck with your operation recovery. Can I ask, if you followed a science route, what has made you switch to accountancy?

Thanks :biggrin: And I'm recovered from the surgery now - had it at the start of the year.

Having done the PhD I've discovered that working in the lab and the issues that are involved in it (lack of job security and bad pay when you do manage to secure funding) weren't for me. I love researching things though and learning new things so I started speaking to people I know about what their jobs entailed. My stepsister works for PwC in Atlanta and she told me about the sorts of things she does and my grandmother was an accountant before she retired and between the pair of them they piqued my interest. From there I did a fair amount of research online and figured auditing, with maybe a move into forensic accounting once qualified, was a reasonable career move.
Can I ask, what do you do after you graduate if haven't got into the big 4 but still want to become an accountant, will career prospects differ from an ordinary ACCA grad and one who has been paid for by big 4?
Thanks :biggrin: And I'm recovered from the surgery now - had it at the start of the year.

Having done the PhD I've discovered that working in the lab and the issues that are involved in it (lack of job security and bad pay when you do manage to secure funding) weren't for me. I love researching things though and learning new things so I started speaking to people I know about what their jobs entailed. My stepsister works for PwC in Atlanta and she told me about the sorts of things she does and my grandmother was an accountant before she retired and between the pair of them they piqued my interest. From there I did a fair amount of research online and figured auditing, with maybe a move into forensic accounting once qualified, was a reasonable career move.

Oh wow, well I have loads of accountants in my family as well, but ideally I'd want to pursue it with one of the big 4, probably PwC, as I don't pass GCSE requirements for the other 3.
Reply 33
Well, like I said, the recruitment process is tough but all of the face-to-face stuff that I had with them (I went to an open evening at the Aberdeen office just after submitting my application form) was relaxed and enjoyable. Make sure you have at least two examples for each of their competencies and you'll be fine when it comes time for you to apply. I'd also say go for the internships when you can - it'll give you experience of the recruitment process because intern applicants have pretty much the same one AFAIK and it'll show you have a genuine and committed interest in accounting. Also, remember the Insight Days, if you can go to one at the office you want to apply to for the grad scheme then it'll get your face known, which is never a bad thing.
Well, like I said, the recruitment process is tough but all of the face-to-face stuff that I had with them (I went to an open evening at the Aberdeen office just after submitting my application form) was relaxed and enjoyable. Make sure you have at least two examples for each of their competencies and you'll be fine when it comes time for you to apply. I'd also say go for the internships when you can - it'll give you experience of the recruitment process because intern applicants have pretty much the same one AFAIK and it'll show you have a genuine and committed interest in accounting. Also, remember the Insight Days, if you can go to one at the office you want to apply to for the grad scheme then it'll get your face known, which is never a bad thing.

Well, I'm about to start an undergrad degree at Manchester in History, and I won't be able to get into EY, DTT, KPMG. Should I gear my application towards PwC. Also, I live in London, would it support my application to get work experience with small firms? Also, is London super competitive to get into auditing? Because as I've seen PwC don't really have any requirements other than points and a good degree, which is pleasing :tongue:
Reply 35
Regional - Hull office. I like the idea of knowing the names of most of the people I'm working with :smile:

Congratulations and best of luck with the new job :biggrin:
Reply 36
Also, I live in London, would it support my application to get work experience with small firms? Also, is London super competitive to get into auditing? Because as I've seen PwC don't really have any requirements other than points and a good degree, which is pleasing :tongue:

I can't really see that having work experience in a small firm as being a bad thing for your application so I guess it's worth trying to get some if you can. You might also find that whatever firm you get that experience with likes you and is willing to put you through the ACA or ACCA rather than lose you. I'm afraid that I don't know how competitive London is as I didn't even try to get in there - big city living doesn't appeal to me - but I've heard that it's more competitive than regional offices as a lot of people who eventually want to work at IBs try to train at the Big 4 in London. Sorry I can't be more help! :s-smilie:

Original post by ForKicks
Congratulations and best of luck with the new job :biggrin:

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to it! :biggrin:
Well, I'm about to start an undergrad degree at Manchester in History, and I won't be able to get into EY, DTT, KPMG. Should I gear my application towards PwC. Also, I live in London, would it support my application to get work experience with small firms? Also, is London super competitive to get into auditing? Because as I've seen PwC don't really have any requirements other than points and a good degree, which is pleasing :tongue:

Rather than direct experience I'd just join societies at uni, go the 'well rounded individual route', anything that involves commitment and communication etc are good and it's all stuff you can use to sell yourself at the interview. Plus societies are more fun than work!
Original post by monk_keys
Rather than direct experience I'd just join societies at uni, go the 'well rounded individual route', anything that involves commitment and communication etc are good and it's all stuff you can use to sell yourself at the interview. Plus societies are more fun than work!

Ah okay, well I'll have a part time job on the side, so it won't be as if I haven't come face to face with real people in a pressured environment. Cheers, I will join investment/trade societies, and maybe a charity to show business acumen? Do firms like to see that, especially if you're applying to grad schemes?
Ah okay, well I'll have a part time job on the side, so it won't be as if I haven't come face to face with real people in a pressured environment. Cheers, I will join investment/trade societies, and maybe a charity to show business acumen? Do firms like to see that, especially if you're applying to grad schemes?

http://www.pwc.co.uk/careers/student/employability/employability.jhtml

You can join anything, do what interests you! I played football. It's more about having the ability to show you can related what you did to what they want. So in a sports team you can say you have good communication, you work well in a team using positive reinforcement, you are committed to things that interest you, you can organise social occasions (treasurer etc of a society is ideal) the list goes on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending