The Student Room Group

Have you ever changed or wanted to change your name?

Scroll to see replies

I'm going to change mine in a few months (figured I might as well wait till I was done with 6th form, then just start at uni with the new one). I'm changing my surname, which is double-barrelled and awkward, not to mention unpronounceable. It never fits on forms, nobody can spell it and I don't much like it anyway. There is another surname which is coincidentally half of each of my current surnames, so I'm going to change to that. Only thing I can't decide is whether to go for an all-out German spelling or the Anglicised version.

I don't particularly like my first name, but I don't dislike it enough to change it and I'd find it weird. Likewise, I don't like or dislike my middle name - it does have an awkward spelling (Catriona, Scottish spelling of Katrina) but I don't often use it, don't much want to change it and don't really like the regular spelling (the only person I know with it is the sister of someone I can't stand and it makes me think of him) so I'm just gonna leave it alone. It wouldn't be so bad if I had either an usual middle name or surname, but I have both, and although my first name is short and easy to spell, it's unusual, so it's just a bit too much.
I wouldn't by deed poll but if I became a published author (hahaha) I'd use my middle name for that. I think it goes better with my surname.
Reply 102
Original post by fallen_acorns
yes, from nathan to lily...

Pfft. A friend of mine says the exact same... now to spend ages trying to figure out if you're the same person. :P

Yeah, I intend to change my surname. Simply waiting on when I have the money to pay for Deedpoll - damn I'm skint :P. I want to change it to separate myself from my Dad's side of the family. I know it'll cause many problems between us; but it's something I feel I need to do.
Yeah buddy. The best name I came up with the intials are LKR (it's a name I'm thinking about for a story so I go by initials),but I've came up with Skye, Phoenix, Emma, and Melina. But because of my name, I have gotten five nicknames in one school year. It's rather fun, dontchya think?
Yeah boy, wanna change it to something prettier like Aishani. :h:
my name is danielle elizabeth, which when i was younger i thought it was rubbish.. if someone had asked me when i'm 10 if i wanted to change my name, i would have. had my brother been a girl, his name would have been nicole catherine, and i used to always prefer that.
i rather like it now though.. i get compliments on my name quite a lot, and i went through school with one other person called danielle which wasn't too bad :smile: middle name is my nanas name too, so i wouldn't wanna change it cause of that.
last name is god awful, but i can marry out of that so i wouldnt change it :smile:
Original post by Left Eye
Pfft. A friend of mine says the exact same... now to spend ages trying to figure out if you're the same person. :P

Yeah, I intend to change my surname. Simply waiting on when I have the money to pay for Deedpoll - damn I'm skint :P. I want to change it to separate myself from my Dad's side of the family. I know it'll cause many problems between us; but it's something I feel I need to do.

You can change it for free.. dig back a few pages to find my other post where I explain this
I kinda switch between names; on my birth certificate I'm Eléna - which is my formal name for important things - but I mostly go by Ellie. I don't know another Eléna, so I'm pretty happy with that. Although I don't especially like my surname.
Original post by puddingandpie
I haven't got a middle name and would really like to give myself one. I love the name Blanche (from watching Upstairs Downstairs) because it sounds really old fashioned but lovely.

Has anyone else ever changed their name? Or would you want to in the future?

How difficult is it, I think you do it via Deed Poll

No I love my name. I once had a supply teacher for Spanish who said if she had a daughter, she'd call her Safiya :smile:
If I wasn't a Muslim..I still wouldn't mind having an Arabic name but I wouldn't mind the name Maci or Chelsea. Really like those names.
I really want a middle name!!!
I'm changing my surname soon (to my mother's family surname) and getting a middle name as I've never had one :h: As for my first name, I was going to change it until I realised that getting a nickname would be far less hassle (I've literally spent years wondering over what I'd change my name to). So I finally picked one, and I'm going to start getting people to call me by it when I reach university :smile:
Reply 111
No way. My first name and my last are the same. It's very amusing in times of hardship.

"Okay, right this way Mr... Mr.. Oh dear"

Not sure what my rents were thinkin'
Reply 112
Original post by Petro_99
I really want a middle name!!!

By the force invested in me by the ministry of names, I hereby announce your middle name "Chief Dragon Lover".
I think I would prefer to be called Charlotte or Holly but I'm not that bothered. My dad was thinking of calling me Holly as he's a massive Buddy Holly fan but he forgot and gave me a middle aged woman name instead ;/
If it wasn't so much hassle to change my passport/driver's license/whatever and to train people to call me a new name, I would. My first name is horrible and common (there were at least 10 Rebeccas in my year at secondary school), I have an old lady middle name, and I used to get seriously pissed off with being near the end of alphabetical order because of my surname :tongue:
It's just more bother than it's worth to change it though.
I love my surname. It is unique, and very Italian. However, my first name is the Anglicized version of an Italian name and, while more common than the original Italian, does it some disservice. I've been contemplating changing it to the Italian name as that's what most people call me anyway.

Spoiler

Original post by briesandwich
I've considered dropping one of my middle names before, simply because having two middle names makes it hard to fit it into tiny spaces on forms. Why can't they give more room to write your name?! :rant:

I just use my first middle name, or just put my middle initials down. On my passport I just have my middle name - as my second middle name is a confirmation name. At university however, I'm officially registered with both my first name (no prizes for guessing) and my middle name. So on any essays I have to put - I once gave my name for something at the library and they said I didn't exist but there was a Matthew __________ Lowson at the uni though.

And would I change it? I don't think so, that said Matthew was my mum's second choice (and was supposed to eb my middle name)- her first choice is my middle name and my brother's first name.
Reply 117
Original post by Matthew_Lowson
I just use my first middle name, or just put my middle initials down. On my passport I just have my middle name - as my second middle name is a confirmation name. At university however, I'm officially registered with both my first name (no prizes for guessing) and my middle name. So on any essays I have to put - I once gave my name for something at the library and they said I didn't exist but there was a Matthew __________ Lowson at the uni though.

And would I change it? I don't think so, that said Matthew was my mum's second choice (and was supposed to eb my middle name)- her first choice is my middle name and my brother's first name.

Matthew is an epic name!!...My Mum's Dad was called that, as is his son and my second son.

My Mum wanted to call me Octavia or Stella.....both are nice names :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by tamimi
No way. My first name and my last are the same. It's very amusing in times of hardship.

"Okay, right this way Mr... Mr.. Oh dear"

Not sure what my rents were thinkin'

I'm now going through each surname I can think of and trying to find one that works for both O.o
Reply 119
Original post by twinlensreflex
I'm now going through each surname I can think of and trying to find one that works for both O.o

I've got it!!!.......I reckon his name is James James :tongue:

It's probably not though :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest