The Student Room Group

Becoming a college drama teacher.

Hey guys,

I know you've probably had this question a thousand times but what qualification do you need to become a college drama teacher?

I already have a degree in Performing Arts and was looking at Secondary PGCE's but truth be told I don't want to work in a high school. Is there anywhere you can just train to teach in a college or is the PGCE the best way to go?

Hopefully someone knows the answer :smile:

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by DarkAngel63
Hey guys,

I know you've probably had this question a thousand times but what qualification do you need to become a college drama teacher?

I already have a degree in Performing Arts and was looking at Secondary PGCE's but truth be told I don't want to work in a high school. Is there anywhere you can just train to teach in a college or is the PGCE the best way to go?

Thanks!

There is a different qualification equivelant to the PGCE but which qualifies people to teach in post-compulsory education. Its called the PCE I think or there are also PGCE (post compulsory) specific courses.

Alternatively a normal PGCE enables one to teach in colleges too and you just apply for jobs in this sector as they arise after you qualify. However the training itself during PGCE usually involves working in secondary schools during the year.

Try checking the TES jobs section regularly on line and seeing the types of jobs that come up in the sector you are interested in and the qualifications they ask for.

Good luck.

:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by DarkAngel63
Hey guys,

Thanks!

I have applied for the PGCE Post Compulsory (Also known as, PGCE Life Long Learning Sector), which allows you to teach in the FE (VI Form colleges/further education colleges) sector. The down side of the PGCE post compulsory is that you cannot then teach in secondary schools, whereas a PGCE Secondary Drama you can teach FE. Basically the PGCE Secondary gives you more options.

What you have to ask yourself, is how much you dislike working with secondary age children. If you don't mind it and could put up with a year of PGCE placements in secondary schools, I would advise going for the PGCE Secondary. If however, the idea of being surrounded by children of secondary age fills you with horror, then you might be better off sticking with the PGCE Post Compulsory!

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks guys, I'm looking into it now and seems the PGCE Post Compulsory is the way to go for me. Just looking into different Uni's now.:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending