Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ubc vs nottinham (econs major)

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The title is pretty self explanatory but, if fees wasn't and issue, where would you go and why? Also, globally, which uni is more appealing to firms? (I'm from Singapore and do intend to come back and work in SG eventually)
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're asking University of California - Berkeley vs. Nottingham:

UCB is considered one of the top world-leading Universities and has a much better international prestige than Nottingham. UCB is ranked #7 in the world for economics versus #51-100 for Nottingham

That said,

UCB will cost you somewhere around $55,000USD/year for 4 years

Nottingham would cost you somewhere around $27,000USD/year for 3 years

Which can you afford?

Do you have preference for location - CA or the UK?

Nottingham is a larger school in terms of number of undergraduates and overall - Nottingham has 30,000 undergraduates and 10,000 graduates versus Berkeley's 25,000 and 10,000 graduates.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NYU2012)
    If you're asking University of California - Berkeley vs. Nottingham:

UCB is considered one of the top world-leading Universities and has a much better international prestige than Nottingham. UCB is ranked #7 in the world for economics versus #51-100 for Nottingham

That said,

UCB will cost you somewhere around $55,000USD/year for 4 years

Nottingham would cost you somewhere around $27,000USD/year for 3 years

Which can you afford?

Do you have preference for location - CA or the UK?

Nottingham is a larger school in terms of number of undergraduates and overall - Nottingham has 30,000 undergraduates and 10,000 graduates versus Berkeley's 25,000 and 10,000 graduates.
    He meant UBC = Uni of British Columbia.

(Original post by jay1992)
    The title is pretty self explanatory but, if fees wasn't and issue, where would you go and why? Also, globally, which uni is more appealing to firms? (I'm from Singapore and do intend to come back and work in SG eventually)
    Hi jay, i'm from Singapore and looking forward to going to UBC too.

Have you ORD-ed yet?
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fellowjoe)
    He meant UBC = Uni of British Columbia.
    Totally missed that. Ooops.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeahp, i meant UBC. And no, i ord in dec..what about yourself?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Totally missed that. Ooops.
    I see that you're from NYU. OMG that's my dream college in the whole wide world!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeahp, i meant UBC. And no, i ord in dec..what about yourself?
    ORDed just not too long ago and i'm most likely heading to UBC this fall.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ORDed just not too long ago and i'm most likely heading to UBC this fall.
    Sounds sick mate..its difficult decision for me though. Ive lived in london for 3 years and am used to the uk. Then again, i wld love to try something different. Furthermore, with my intention to work in sg, i need a globally recognised uni. Was thinking of the states too but i can't be bothered with sats. I got into singapore management uni too
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham is more reputable.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds sick mate..its difficult decision for me though. Ive lived in london for 3 years and am used to the uk. Then again, i wld love to try something different. Furthermore, with my intention to work in sg, i need a globally recognised uni. Was thinking of the states too but i can't be bothered with sats. I got into singapore management uni too
    NO PUHLEASE don't come to Singapore!

Not being biased but if i were you, i would rather stay in the UK for college than go back to SG. So stifling, cut-throat and competitive.

And i can't comment about the UK but Canada seems better imo.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yothi5)
    Nottingham is more reputable.
    internationally?
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    I see that you're from NYU. OMG that's my dream college in the whole wide world!
    I love it here

Have you applied to NYU?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love it here

Have you applied to NYU?
    Unfortunately no, as i figured its too expensive to attend NYU :C

But i have been to NYC though and i simply fell in love with it!
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately no, as i figured its too expensive to attend NYU :C

But i have been to NYC though and i simply fell in love with it!
    Yes, unfortunately, the cost of attendance of NYU is astronomical - upwards of $60,000 per year.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, unfortunately, the cost of attendance of NYU is astronomical - upwards of $60,000 per year.
    How are you paying for it?
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Part A)
    How are you paying for it?
    Federal US aid and grants + Institutional scholarships, the remainder of the cost is, very thankfully and graciously, paid for by my parents.

Just a general note: Pretty much all of the top US schools cost around $60,000/year at 'sticker price'
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm from UBC and the econ department here is great. Unless I go to LSE next year, which I might, I'll be doing econ here. I've taken econ 101/102 so far so I don't know much about the higher-level courses. The people I know in econ are really proud of their department. If you plan on doing postgrad UBC is well recognized, top econ department in Canada and ~20th in the world. I know econ grads going on to top US universities for their MA.

If you have any questions about UBC feel free to message me, I'm a Vancouver native as well. Also one of my insanely-brilliant friends on the debate team is from Singapore! She loves it here.

Also, while I don't know about Singapore, UBC is recognized v. well in Hong Kong.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vdong)
    I'm from UBC and the econ department here is great. Unless I go to LSE next year, which I might, I'll be doing econ here. I've taken econ 101/102 so far so I don't know much about the higher-level courses. The people I know in econ are really proud of their department. If you plan on doing postgrad UBC is well recognized, top econ department in Canada and ~20th in the world. I know econ grads going on to top US universities for their MA.

If you have any questions about UBC feel free to message me, I'm a Vancouver native as well. Also one of my insanely-brilliant friends on the debate team is from Singapore! She loves it here.

Also, while I don't know about Singapore, UBC is recognized v. well in Hong Kong.
    Yeah just a couple of questions:

1. A friend currently at UBC told me that everything but MacBook are incompatible in UBC. Though it doesn't seem to make much sense, is it true? Which brand of laptop are you currently using in school?

2. Is first-year residence application (especially for Totem/Vanier) on a rolling basis? I have applied for shared rooms but am now considering switching to single.

3. So many stories about Vancouver being very expensive sprung up; maybe in terms of housing, yes. But what about transport, clothing and food??
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You guys realise that Nu was not a university till 1958 ??

that 1778 thing ia a load of C&*^p
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    NO PUHLEASE don't come to Singapore!

Not being biased but if i were you, i would rather stay in the UK for college than go back to SG. So stifling, cut-throat and competitive.

And i can't comment about the UK but Canada seems better imo.
    LOL

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 4, 2012
New on TSR

What is sixth form like?

Share your story!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.