The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Bristol is a really nice place :smile:
The Lancaster course is good. I know some of the people who teach it, and they are top class
Reply 3
Bristol.
Reply 4
Original post by ma.codo
Hi,

I'm going to UK to do my MSc and I have an offer from University of Bristol (MSc Sustainable Water Management) and Lancaster University (MSc Water and Environmental Management). And I need to do a final decision about it and i would like some adivice.

tks

I had offers from Bristol and Lancaster in a completely different subject so I can only offer advice about non-academic issues. Bristol is a nice place to live but expensive; and the tuition fees will undoubtedly be higher than Lancaster too. Lancaster seems a really underrated university in all the areas I know, and my programme leader at my undergraduate university spoke very highly of the university, as she did her PhD there.
I'm in the same situation, don't know whether to choose Lancaster or Cranfield? Both have some funding available, I fancy Lancaster more because it's closer to Manchester (where I study now and where my friends are), otherwise Cranfield is top-notch too. Help!
Reply 6
It depends what you care about. Lancaster is ranked 11th best in the UK (on the completeuniversityguide site) and Bristol is 15th, so they are both pretty well-respected universities. And I don't quite understand your chosen course, but in the same rankings, under 'Mechanical Engineering' Bristol is 3rd best in the UK, coming after Imperial College London, and Cambridge, whereas Lancaster is 21st, so for a course like that, Bristol would be better than a very prestigious university like Oxford. So you should go for Bristol on that note, but that's just my opinion.

But you should also take into account how far away they are and what students there have said about it, try looking at the Times student survey. That gives universities ratings from students on different factors like facilities, city life, and even eye candy.. (how good looking the locals are).

Good luck :smile:
Original post by staticas
It depends what you care about. Lancaster is ranked 11th best in the UK (on the completeuniversityguide site) and Bristol is 15th, so they are both pretty well-respected universities. And I don't quite understand your chosen course, but in the same rankings, under 'Mechanical Engineering' Bristol is 3rd best in the UK, coming after Imperial College London, and Cambridge, whereas Lancaster is 21st, so for a course like that, Bristol would be better than a very prestigious university like Oxford. So you should go for Bristol on that note, but that's just my opinion.

But you should also take into account how far away they are and what students there have said about it, try looking at the Times student survey. That gives universities ratings from students on different factors like facilities, city life, and even eye candy.. (how good looking the locals are).

Good luck :smile:

Bristol is much more prestigious than Lancaster, a second rank university.
Reply 8
Bristol has a better reputation than Lancaster for its Engineering, but I know that Lancaster is pretty good in terms of Economics and Management... I think you have to look in the departments where your MSc is based and see their links with industry and make your decision...
The Opening Post on this thread was written in 2012.

Please don't add any other responses.

Latest

Trending

Trending