Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cheapest place/firm for driving lessons

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What is the cheapest place/firms offer near dirt cheap for lessons or any students offers
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Independent instructors are normally the cheapest.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you really want someone that offers dirt cheap lessons?
    Wouldn't you rather have a high quality driving instructor that has a bit of a waiting list and is a bit more expensive but you'll learn to pass in fewer lessons and be a better driver?

When my friends have had lessons with dirt cheap instructors, they've all had to switch half way through.

I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule, but I'd always follow the viewpoint of WHY they have to offer lessons so cheap?!

But if immediate cost is the only thing your fussed about, look at low grade instructors in your area and ring them up to see if they offer a discount for block lessons.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    How much are you thinking?

I paid £18 an hour with my independent instructor and he was amazing. I passed in 20 hours and really enjoyed learning with him.

I think any less than £17/£18 an hour would make me a little suss. I'd have to question why they are charging that little, especially when you look at the costs involved [petrol, insurance, car upkeep etc].
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Do NOT go with Red driving school. They make your lessons as drawn out as possible so you need more lessons to cover everything.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I pay £18 an hour if I block book 10 hours, otherwise it is £19 an hour for students or £20 an hour for everyone else at my driving school. This is a regional one with a couple of branches in my area. I would suggest looking at your local companies.

I have seen a few places at about £18-20 but not much lower than that. I agree too cheap can be a bit suspicious. My instructor is good but she likes to drag everything out a bit, practicing everything so many times before moving onto the next manouvre, so she is getting more money out of me that way although she reckons this is to make sure I will pass first time, so if I do then fine, I will be satisfied with her method! Amazed at the person who passed after 20 hours at £18 each. Bargain.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 27, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered learning to drive

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.