The Student Room Group

Compelling Personal Reasons

On the 'evidence checklis' on my student finance application, it is asking for evidence of compelling personal reasons as to why I did not complete my previous course.

I started university in sept 2009, and I did not complete the course, I left in may 2010 because the course was not right for me and I was really struggling with it. I did this as a course interruption on the understanding that I would return in sept 2011 on a different course. I didn't return as I wanted more time to prepare for a different course (by revising and studying for it), and informed my university of this in sept 2011. I've now been accepted on a different course starting in sept 2012 at a different university through UCAS.

Would this be accepted as compelling personal reasons? It doesn't really seem 'compelling; to me. Or should I select the option that says 'I cannot provide evidence of the items above', even though it would delay my application?

Thank you for any help!
Reply 1
Original post by jen579
On the 'evidence checklis' on my student finance application, it is asking for evidence of compelling personal reasons as to why I did not complete my previous course.

I started university in sept 2009, and I did not complete the course, I left in may 2010 because the course was not right for me and I was really struggling with it. I did this as a course interruption on the understanding that I would return in sept 2011 on a different course. I didn't return as I wanted more time to prepare for a different course (by revising and studying for it), and informed my university of this in sept 2011. I've now been accepted on a different course starting in sept 2012 at a different university through UCAS.

Would this be accepted as compelling personal reasons? It doesn't really seem 'compelling; to me. Or should I select the option that says 'I cannot provide evidence of the items above', even though it would delay my application?

Thank you for any help!

Compelling personal reasons according to other posts are something like medical conditions that you were treated for at the time or bereavement and would have to be backed up by a doctor who saw you at the time in question.

However I'm not sure why you need them?

I'd understood that people were usually entitled to funding according to the following formula:

Length of new degree/course + 1 year - any time spent in previous higher education.

Compelling personal reasons are for any extra years over and above this that might be needed.

So as you only did the first year of your old course that would only give you a one year deduction and leave you with the full funding for your new course. Is it because technically you remained enrolled on the course until September 2011 or something or because you had a break between the course and now? I'm confused.....

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
When you haven't completed a previous course that option will always be there, in case you had CPR. Your situation isn't CPR, therefore you simply don't provide evidence :smile:

However, if you didn't inform SF of your intentions at the time it may be best for you to call them, to clarify matters.
Reply 3
I've had the same issue. I'm currently studying Pharmacy now at UCL but want to transfer to Aston in September. The funny thing with me is that for my year at UCL i did not apply for ANY funding at all not even for tuition fees. I called them a number of times regarding this

First they told me i'd lose one year of funding which is pathetic

Then they told me i need evidence from UCL

Then they told me whatever i was told previously was pathetic and i don't need to send anything in as i have never applied for funding and I've only been at UCL for a year

Soooo irritating!:angry:
Reply 4
It doesn't matter whether you took funding or not.
Reply 5
Original post by sakina786
I've had the same issue. I'm currently studying Pharmacy now at UCL but want to transfer to Aston in September. The funny thing with me is that for my year at UCL i did not apply for ANY funding at all not even for tuition fees. I called them a number of times regarding this

First they told me i'd lose one year of funding which is pathetic

Then they told me i need evidence from UCL

Then they told me whatever i was told previously was pathetic and i don't need to send anything in as i have never applied for funding and I've only been at UCL for a year

Soooo irritating!:angry:

It is always previous study that is counted, regardless how that previous study was financed. If you self funded a year then that year is counted as a year "used" by SF.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending