Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Supreme Court

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The other day i saw a page for TSR parliament, however who shall protect us from the tyranny, the supreme court of TSR shall protect your civil liberties

At the moment i am the only member and if you want to be part of the final group of 9, comment below

THE MAN FROM SPACE FOR SUPREME COURT

THIS IS NOT A TROLL THREAD
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If the TSR Parliament is anything like the UK Parliament, a TSR Supreme Court would be pretty powerless against Parliament.

Interesting self-nomination too
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unlike the Uk we could move on to a more checks and balances systems to ensure fairness is ensured through Montesquieu theroy of Seperation of Power therefore the supreme court could hold the parliament as accountable
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the man from space)
    Unlike the Uk we could move on to a more checks and balances systems to ensure fairness is ensured through Montesquieu theroy of Seperation of Power therefore the supreme court could hold the parliament as accountable
    Ironically when Montesquieu described separation of powers he specifically had the British constitution in mind!

A US-style Supreme Court would be undemocratic as it would encroach on the rights of the elected House of Commons.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    Ironically when Montesquieu described separation of powers he specifically had the British constitution in mind!

A US-style Supreme Court would be undemocratic as it would encroach on the rights of the elected House of Commons.
    True, but what, then, would be the highest court in the TSR Kingdom?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The TSR Parliament, I would reckon even then, such a thing as a court of law on a politics forum is a bit strange. Particularly as I would wager most people here do not have sufficient knowledge of the law to be good judges or lawyers.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    If the TSR Parliament is anything like the UK Parliament, a TSR Supreme Court would be pretty powerless against Parliament.

Interesting self-nomination too
    If you're serious about this you should start a petition in the MHoC or try and get a party to submit it as a bill or something. Otherwise it'll be seperate and disjointed from the workings of the MHoC, it'd only really work if we had it integrated with the laws currently passed in the MHoC as well
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:

Well, if you're speaking with the real House of Commons in mind, then there are good arguments against encroaching the rights of the elected House of Commons based on the electoral system and enfranchisement. No idea how the TSR one is done since I left a long, long time ago.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Well, if you're speaking with the real House of Commons in mind, then there are good arguments against encroaching the rights of the elected House of Commons based on the electoral system and enfranchisement. No idea how the TSR one is done since I left a long, long time ago.
    off the top of my head I can't find a way we'd be able to have a US style one at the moment, and if we did have one to be effective with the MHoC we'd need to have it voted in by parliament either as a bill or a motion or a petition or something.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The TSR Parliament, I would reckon even then, such a thing as a court of law on a politics forum is a bit strange. Particularly as I would wager most people here do not have sufficient knowledge of the law to be good judges or lawyers.
    You suggest that the legislative should also be the judiciary? I'm guessing you mean a separate aspect of the legislative, or do you actually mean the members of the houses themselves?

Besides, TSR has no need of a court because there are no parties to call for proceedings :P.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chazzybish)
    You suggest that the legislative should also be the judiciary? I'm guessing you mean a separate aspect of the legislative, or do you actually mean the members of the houses themselves?
    No, the question I was responding to was who should defend our liberties. That is naturally Parliament.

(as an aside there was nothing wrong with the House of Lords being our highest court, but hey ho)

Besides, TSR has no need of a court because there are no parties to call for proceedings :P.
    Agreed!
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pretty pointless I reckon. At most they could overturn a law but that's it. Their use would be infrequent.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't work at all.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    We have the Libertarian Party to counter all these other tyrannical statists - just go vote for us.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    UKIP currently do have a Supreme Court planned.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    My concern about this idea is how it will actually work and be implemented. I look forward to the debate.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    The notion is a court which would hold constitutional jurisdiction.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew_Lowson)
    The German Federal Constitutional Court
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew_Lowson)
    How would its composition be decided?

Oh I like the idea of there being a confirmation process like in the US - the government could be responsible for nominations.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    How would its composition be decided?
    All in the amendment which hopefully you'll see soon in the Government forum.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 9, 2012
New on TSR

So how did you do?

Come into the GCSE forum to share your grades

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.