Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

PS Vita or Nintendo DS?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks, I have started doing a lot of travelling, so have decided to buy a handheld gaming console to play on the train.

Should I buy a Playstation Vita or a Nintendo 3DSI (or whatever the latest model of the DS is called)?

I really want to play Uncharted Golden Abyss, which is only out on Vita right now, but I'm not sure whether it will come out on DS in future. Also, I like the dual analogue sticks and the controls on Vita which I think will make it similar gameplay to what you'd get on a home console.

In favour of the DS is the price, and the price difference is quite large. Amazon has the DS at £134 and the Vita at £209 (£259 if you want the 3G version, which I probably don't). Can spending £75 more to get a PS Vita really be justified?
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David9)
    Hi folks, I have started doing a lot of travelling, so have decided to buy a handheld gaming console to play on the train.

Should I buy a Playstation Vita or a Nintendo 3DSI (or whatever the latest model of the DS is called)?

I really want to play Uncharted Golden Abyss, which is only out on Vita right now, but I'm not sure whether it will come out on DS in future. Also, I like the dual analogue sticks and the controls on Vita which I think will make it similar gameplay to what you'd get on a home console.

In favour of the DS is the price, and the price difference is quite large. Amazon has the DS at £134 and the Vita at £209 (£259 if you want the 3G version, which I probably don't). Can spending £75 more to get a PS Vita really be justified?
    Given that the uncharted games are sony exclusives it wont be going anywhere near the 3DS.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:

It won't. The Uncharted series is a PlayStation exclusive.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Vita man! Whachoo you tryin...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Not only that but for the Vita you also have to buy a memory card which will cost a decent £30 if you want a good amount of memory.

Also if you go for the 3DS, buy Tales of the Abyss. It's a really hard game to find but when you do you won't regret it b(^_^)d
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    DS just because I love Pokemon ^^ and the games last forever and you never get bored ... but most of the DS games are very crap
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do like my 3DS, Super Mario 3D Land and Resident Evil Revelations are fantastic games by any standard - I enjoyed Pilot Wings a lot too. It is cheaper and you could argue a bit more travelling friendly because of the clamshell design. Unlike a lot of people I love the 3D too, it adds depth to games and is a huge plus to the 3DS over Vita for me.

However, I can't recommend the 3DS right now. The system is flawed because it has only one analogue stick and Nintendo knows this. Read some of the reviews of Kid Icarus and the problem of the controls is all too clear. Nintendo will almost certainly release a new iteration of the console at some point in the next year with a second control stick (I predict before Christmas this year).

So, if you're travelling now, I would personally recommend the Vita. There are already enough games like Uncharted and Wipeout to make it worth buying.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I personally use the Vita, I own Uncharted (Fantastic game), Unit 13 (good bite sized missions for travelling), Fifa (Need I say more?) and I downloaded the Mega Drive Collection from the PSP store as a fan of the Mega Drive its a nice little addition to have. A few games on the way as well such as Resistance Burning Skies, but I'd like to see more announcements in general for it hopefully E3 is good.

As for the 3DS, the only time I've ever used it I had a migraine after playing Super Mario Land 3D for five minutes...that was a nice experience. I'd rather wait to buy that when they release the redesigned version they inevitably will do. Besides the only game I'd want on the 3DS is Zelda. In my personal opinion I'd rather wait for more original Nintendo games.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    I do like my 3DS, Super Mario 3D Land and Resident Evil Revelations are fantastic games by any standard - I enjoyed Pilot Wings a lot too. It is cheaper and you could argue a bit more travelling friendly because of the clamshell design. Unlike a lot of people I love the 3D too, it adds depth to games and is a huge plus to the 3DS over Vita for me.

However, I can't recommend the 3DS right now. The system is flawed because it has only one analogue stick and Nintendo knows this. Read some of the reviews of Kid Icarus and the problem of the controls is all too clear. Nintendo will almost certainly release a new iteration of the console at some point in the next year with a second control stick (I predict before Christmas this year).

So, if you're travelling now, I would personally recommend the Vita. There are already enough games like Uncharted and Wipeout to make it worth buying.

Is coming in the near future.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)

that, right there, is a monstrosity & be SO awkward to use - will have to use a thumb stretcher to reach the ABXY buttons!
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manderton)
    that, right there, is a monstrosity & be SO awkward to use - will have to use a thumb stretcher to reach the ABXY buttons!
    Im pretty sure some prototype reviews said it was actually more comfortable to hold than the standard 3DS :holmes:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    A difficult decision but really it comes down to the games you want to play and by the sounds of it these are games that are more likely to be on the vita system like uncharted (which sure as hell won't be on the 3ds). Both are fledgling systems so don't necessarily have massive libraries but the 3ds's easy ability to use your old ds cartridges means you'll have more to play with until the library expands whereas for the vita, access to your old psp games is limited and involves buying the digital version on psn/sen if you haven't done so already (though it is less limiting if you have ps3 to help you transfer digital psp games).
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)

I really think that is an interim solution and a system update is on the cards in the near future. I could be wrong but the add on is too cumbersome for a portable system.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Uncharted will never be on the ds its a sony game so nintendo will not be allowed it
    I have a ds and it got boring so quickly
    I have an old PSP and I still find it great, I havent played Vita yet but surely its just better That would be my choice
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'll only be getting the 3DS if Nintendo finally decides to make some games for it. From what I saw from the Ashens review of the PSP Vita:

........it looks too overpriced and completely nonsensical. I'd rather have a gaming PC and something like a HypePad or something which runs the HypeOS than that.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Nintendo DS.

The games on DS are just so much cuter. The DS has some great games like Pokemon, Zelda, Professor Layton and Mario. The PSP mostly just has action/war games, which can get a bit boring, though ofc you might be into them. Are you sure you want to forgo the 3DS for one game on the Vita? I have the 3ds, it's awesome. The 3D graphics are stunning, but on the down side I hardly ever use the 3D effect because it's not good for the eyes.

Plus the two are so close in terms of how good they are, and yet so far in terms of price- get the DS!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 30, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.