Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should same sex parenting be allowed?

Announcements Posted on
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    NO OF COURSE NOT! THEY WILL ALSO BE GAY!!!!

Everyone knows that Straight parents can only raise straight kids.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NYU2012)
    The APA is far and wide recognized as the most accepted psychological association in the world.

The study looked at the outcomes of such children - even being bullied, they were not harmed. Their family lives were perfectly normal and having same sex parents in no way was of any detriment of the child's personal life, development, gender identity, etc.

Children do not necessarily need children as role models. Role models can be found outside of the child-parent relationship. Common says plays no role in actual researched psychology. :rolleyes: Many times, common says is actually contrary to actual psychological data.

And, as the APA indicated, via substantial research which the association has examined and having considered any possible counter research, having two parents of the same sex in no way harmed the child's development - meaning boys with two same-sex parents are in no way harmed.
    its great that the apa is the most accepted psychological institute in the world. glad you ignored my argument about children being bullied, since we both know that is going to happen. And i for one put the child' s intrest above the intrest of the (gay) parents. something you will probably never consider.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalb)
    its great that the apa is the most accepted psychological institute in the world. glad you ignored my argument about children being bullied, since we both know that is going to happen. And i for one put the child' s intrest above the intrest of the (gay) parents. something you will probably never consider.
    Again, you've ignored what the APA stated. How surprising.

Even if the child is bullied, it caused no substantial harm to the child in any way. The child was in no way harmed by having same-sex parents (i.e. bullying played no relevant or substantial role in the psychological well-being or development of the child).

Why? Because, as the child is aware, the child has two very loving parents and while most people may not view it is as 'normal' or 'acceptable' the child in question feels nothing is wrong with their same-sex parents and thereby is not substantially affected by such things.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalb)
    EDIT: i am addressing your bullying 'argument' do I not get a response?

You think that it is ok that they are going to be bullied in school? or you just that that because it may happen that they shouldn't be in such a familial situation? The same used to happen about single parents. But to act in the child's interest is to fight the bullying not their familial situation.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There's no reason it would be traumatic to children, as they would have most likely grew up with it in the situation it was adopted from young or one of the parents biological children. There are countless accounts from children of gay parents saying that it made no difference to them growing up, frankly any prejudice they receive will come from bigoted adults and people because children have open minds.

Edit: Also if it became a social norm there wouldn't be much or any bullying.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    it seems that there are two large divides in opinion as expected, so stop trying to fight for your case as it will make no difference. The world has become far too accepting and liberal in my opinion. No doubt some of you will diagree with this but that is the way the world works. People should not try to convert others to their way of thinking. If you choose something, it is for you as an induvidual not to be forced upon others. This is the very simple reason why I disagree with same sex parenting. Just agree to disagree.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f1234)
    it seems that there are two large divides in opinion as expected, so stop trying to fight for your case as it will make no difference. The world has become far too accepting and liberal in my opinion. No doubt some of you will diagree with this but that is the way the world works. People should not try to convert others to their way of thinking. If you choose something, it is for you as an induvidual not to be forced upon others. This is the very simple reason why I disagree with same sex parenting. Just agree to disagree.
    By that sentence alone you disagree with all parenting. You disagree with choosing to have a child. Because it is forcing your parenthood upon another.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f1234)
    The italicized statement is contrary to the bolded statement.

Here's why:

You're stating that my choice is my choice alone and others cannot force their choice upon me.

The second, italicized statement, is stating that you are against same sex parenting.

However, by the logic of the bolded statement, you have no business telling same-sex couples they cannot be parents as that would be forcing your choice on them.

Thereby, same-sex parenting should be allowed because it is the choice of the parents and you cannot force your choice upon them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RandZul'Zorander)
    Children need parents as role models. Fine. But that doesn't mean that children need one parent of each sex. It has been shown that having two same-sex parents in no way 'harms' the child or is in any way a detriment. If you are saying that homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to be parents because of bullying that may occur well then...should we also stop people from having children who will need to wear glasses? or people who will have a learning disability? or a lisp? or any number of characteristics that may lead to bullying?
    characteristics is different from putting them in a situation where everyone knows theyll get bullied.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Again, you've ignored what the APA stated. How surprising.

Even if the child is bullied, it caused no substantial harm to the child in any way. The child was in no way harmed by having same-sex parents (i.e. bullying played no relevant or substantial role in the psychological well-being or development of the child).

Why? Because, as the child is aware, the child has two very loving parents and while most people may not view it is as 'normal' or 'acceptable' the child in question feels nothing is wrong with their same-sex parents and thereby is not substantially affected by such things.
    most people see it as normal ? most people dont even consider gay marriage normal.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalb)
    characteristics is different from putting them in a situation where everyone knows theyll get bullied.
    You have absolutely no grounds under which to claim that every child will get bullied in every situation. That's blatantly fallacious.

And again, research has shown that the bullying which they may experience has not greatly or substantially affected them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    EDIT: i am addressing your bullying 'argument' do I not get a response?

You think that it is ok that they are going to be bullied in school? or you just that that because it may happen that they shouldn't be in such a familial situation? The same used to happen about single parents. But to act in the child's interest is to fight the bullying not their familial situation.
    where do i say its okay to bully ? im being realist about it. children can be cruel towards each other.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalb)
    most people see it as normal ? most people dont even consider gay marriage normal.
    Can you not read? I said most people may not see it is 'normal'. :confused:

Fail.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalb)
    like I said above what about single parents? or unmarried parents? or teenage parents? none of which have any bearing on the child or affect their characteristics.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The italicized statement is contrary to the bolded statement.

Here's why:

You're stating that my choice is my choice alone and others cannot force their choice upon me.

The second, italicized statement, is stating that you are against same sex parenting.

However, by the logic of the bolded statement, you have no business telling same-sex couples they cannot be parents as that would be forcing your choice on them.

Thereby, same-sex parenting should be allowed because it is the choice of the parents and you cannot force your choice upon them.
    It is a shame that you were so focused on once again defending your argument, that practically the only part of my comment you didn't over analyse was the important bit. See the last line?
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalb)
    where do i say its okay to bully ? im being realist about it. children can be cruel towards each other.
    So why not teach that same-sex parents aren't detrimental, or unacceptable or abnormal? Why not teach that having same-sex parents isn't something one should be bullied over.

It seems a lot more sensical to try to stop the bullying, rather than preventing a child from having two loving parents. :confused:
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalb)
    By accepting bullying you are in fact validating it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can you not read? I said most people may not see it is 'normal'. :confused:

Fail.
    and what do children do when they consider something not normal ? right, bulkying. actually shocking how many people just look at the parents intrest rather than the childs intrest.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    By accepting bullying you are in fact validating it.
    where do i say accept it ? oh dear..
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, same sex parenting should be allowed. A child needs people in their live that love them and will nurture them properly; the gender of these people doesn't make an ounce of difference.

Fallacy #1: "They will get bullied" - It's plausible; lots of people get bullied, but is it right to not allow same-sex couples to have children on this basis? The only way to defeat bigotry in society is by fighting it - if we roll over and accept that we should never let same-sex couples have children because they might get bullied, it is stating that the bullying is acceptable. That is tantamount to a black couple in 1950s USA deciding not to have a child, on the chance that they might get bullied, or preventing disabled parents from having kids. It borders on eugenics.

Fallacy #2 "They will turn the kids gay" - No. Surprisingly, homosexuals AREN'T hellbent on world domination and tend not to indoctrinate a sexuality into their children; that's more common in the nutty, heterosexual religious right. Homosexual couples are probably MORE likely to understand the difficulties associated with understanding sexuality, and will treat the issue more tactfully and sensitively.

Fallacy #3 "Children need a solid male role model/Children need a motherly figure" - Yes, because that is solid reasoning :rolleyes: Whilst we're at it, let's outlaw ALL single-parents, because they're quite clearly incompetent wrecks who all turn their children into delinquents. Go back to the bigot corner and take your copy of Charles Murray's memoirs with you.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 1, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.