Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Should same sex parenting be allowed?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    I'll stand by my belief that the fact homosexuals can't give natural birth indicates they were never meant to be parents.
    Well with that argument humans shouldn't fly in planes because the fact we weren't born with wings which indicates we're not meant to fly.:confused:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beebumble)
    Well with that argument humans shouldn't fly in planes because the fact we weren't born with wings which indicates we're not meant to fly.:confused:
    That's really bad. We don't fly with our wings, we use a plane. We've been making things with our hands forever.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zangoose)
    Okay, so fair enough the gays want marriage but now they want kids too? That's absolutely appalling...

I'm cool with gays getting married and whatnot because once they are married they can do what they do behind closed doors where nobody ever has to be exposed but it's a step too far to consider gay couples having children...

Can you imagine how traumatic that would be for the child? I can think of many reasons on behalf of the kids never to allow that:

• Getting bullied at school...
    • Being seen as an outcast amongst mates, possibly leading to bullying (and we all know extreme bullying can lead to suicide)...
    • If it's a male + male parentage, there is a big lack of "motherly love" and the type of female nurturing that every child should experience
    • If it's a female + female parentage, there is no strong masculine figure for the child to look up to. There's no dad to keep the boy in check or to keep the girl from turning into a slag, so to speak. I'm obviously not saying that fathers can't nurture well and mothers can't be looked up to but it is common knowledge that there's a [somewhat distinguished] line between parental roles with regards to bringing up children
    • It's just wrong, full stop

(There are many more reasons which I'll mention at request)

If reincarnation is actually real, I thank the high Gods that I was never reincarnated into a family with homosexual parents
    Well if we treated gay people as equal and therefore allowed them to adopt children, we as a society would become far more accepting and so hopefully, in time, the bullying would be non existent. See if you say you wouldn't want the child to get bullied because of it and thus it should be illegal for them to adopt, you're just accepting the issue that people bully those from gay parents (and gays themselves), if you really cared for the people not being bullied you'd want to do something about it rather than sweep the issue under the rug.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's really bad. We don't fly with our wings, we use a plane. We've been making things with our hands forever.
    We've also been creating different types of families forever.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    We've also been creating different types of families forever.
    When in human history have gay families bought up children?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the next stage from banning this because the kids get bullied at school for having meatball parents would be to ban everyone with any complication which they could be judged for, like being fat or bony or wearing glasses.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it would be ideal, as I think having a mother and a father is pretty important for a balanced upbringing. that being said, as a society we are fine with single parents, and children do not seem to suffer from it. I think gay parents would just as good as having single parents; perhaps not ideal, butcertainly acceptable.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    The bullying argument is complete and utter rubbish.
    You know what - why don't you bigots STOP BULLYING?
    That solves the problem too.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    When in human history have gay families bought up children?
    I didn't say gay families I said 'different types'. There are some places where there is one big family and the children call all their older relatives Mum and Dad and they all share the same responsibility in bringing up the children. Should we all go over to wherever they are and tell them they're doing it wrong? Or are they natural enough for you?

There are also foster family, single parent families (including single fathers), children who are brought up by there older siblings and there probably have been homosexual families throughout history until some idiot decide to put in the bible and make it a sin.

There are many things in this world which arn't 'natural' it's not up to you to decide which ones are acceptable.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zangoose)
    Okay, so fair enough the gays want marriage but now they want kids too? That's absolutely appalling...

I'm cool with gays getting married and whatnot because once they are married they can do what they do behind closed doors where nobody ever has to be exposed but it's a step too far to consider gay couples having children...

Can you imagine how traumatic that would be for the child? I can think of many reasons on behalf of the kids never to allow that:

• Getting bullied at school...
    • Being seen as an outcast amongst mates, possibly leading to bullying (and we all know extreme bullying can lead to suicide)...
    • If it's a male + male parentage, there is a big lack of "motherly love" and the type of female nurturing that every child should experience
    • If it's a female + female parentage, there is no strong masculine figure for the child to look up to. There's no dad to keep the boy in check or to keep the girl from turning into a slag, so to speak. I'm obviously not saying that fathers can't nurture well and mothers can't be looked up to but it is common knowledge that there's a [somewhat distinguished] line between parental roles with regards to bringing up children
    • It's just wrong, full stop

(There are many more reasons which I'll mention at request)

If reincarnation is actually real, I thank the high Gods that I was never reincarnated into a family with homosexual parents
    LOL.

I imagine some kids get bullied because their blonde mother gets boned by a black guy. Is it okay to promote anti-miscegenation laws then? You've also assumed masculinity is biologically equivalent to men, and feminity with women. It's not as simple as that. Women practice martial arts and cage fighting, and men have increased their role in activities that were previously deemed the "woman's job" in domesticity, such as cooking etc. Even then, gender roles vary with enthicity.

I notice the Arsenal FC symbol. I bet if John Terry quoted Enoch Powell's Rivers of the Blood speech you'd be outraged. :rolleyes:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say gay families I said 'different types'. There are some places where there is one big family and the children call all their older relatives Mum and Dad and they all share the same responsibility in bringing up the children. Should we all go over to wherever they are and tell them they're doing it wrong? Or are they natural enough for you?

There are also foster family, single parent families (including single fathers), children who are brought up by there older siblings and there probably have been homosexual families throughout history until some idiot decide to put in the bible and make it a sin.

There are many things in this world which arn't 'natural' it's not up to you to decide which ones are acceptable.
    You are conflating totally different issues. You're clutching at straws. Humans have complex social structures.

If it were so natural then why can't homosexuals reproduce? Reason:they simply weren't meant to be parents!
    Lines have to be drawn somewhere. There's no logical reason why incest is disallowed but we agree it's unnatural and draw a line there. Gay parenting is a step too far IMO in the same way.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    That bullying argument people keep using makes no sense. That's like saying "work shouldn't be allowed to work because i will beat up any I see out of the kitchen". Bullying is a result of bigotry, not an excuse for it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex.clacko)
    What are your thoughts.
    yeah i think they should be allowed
    YOLO
    and anyway who are we to judge? no ones perfect.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    No I don't really agree with gay adoption.

Let's put it this way, if a straight couple and a gay couple were attempting to adopt and all other factors were equal I'd hand the child over the straight couple without hesitation. If a gay couple utilised a private surrogate arrangement though I wouldn't feel it necessary to stop them, I just wouldn't be in favour of such a scenario. It's unnatural.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    You are conflating totally different issues. You're clutching at straws. Humans have complex social structures.

If it were so natural then why can't homosexuals reproduce? Reason:they simply weren't meant to be parents!
    Lines have to be drawn somewhere. There's no logical reason why incest is disallowed but we agree it's unnatural and draw a line there. Gay parenting is a step too far IMO in the same way.
    Gay parents can reproduce, just not with eachother. Should single parents be banned because they can't reproduce on their own? Should couples where one partner is infertile be denied adoption because if they were supposed to be parents they would be able to make a child themselves?

making a baby yourself has never been a requirement of parenthood.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:

What about people who are infertile? They simply weren't meant to reproduce either? What about women who use sperm banks a women on her own wasn't meant to reproduce? Should they be banned from bringing up children. Again humans weren't built to fly we still do it because we found a way round it. Why can't we work round this? Anyway it's not like gay men are looking for a way to get each other pregnant there's a different between reproducing and bringing up a child.

What would you do with all those children who are loved and happy? Rip them away from their homes because you are not happy with humans being able to work round issues.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucaf)
    Gay parents can reproduce, just not with eachother. Should single parents be banned because they can't reproduce on their own? Should couples where one partner is infertile be denied adoption because if they were supposed to be parents they would be able to make a child themselves?

Beat me to it and said it so much more eloquently as well.
    • 84 followers

ReputationRep:
    YES
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    YES
    This.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucaf)

Replied to this several times in the thread already. Your comparison is totally flawed.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 1, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.