The Student Room Group

China Triumph and Turmoil? **** off

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elipsis
Haha, says the poster called 'indo-chinese food. Given that 99.9% of leafleters are from your community, and your username, I think you might be involved in the takeaway industry :smile:

Glad you decided to edit your post, it didnt really make any sense , even for you.
And what is 'my community' exactly? Do you imagine it to be one of the ones that are beneath you with your, what was it it, red brick university education that has produced such an obvious intellectual specimen? And is it particularly galling to you that an indian /chinese take away food cook can disprove so easily a tard that clearly wasted money on 3 years at a 'red brick' university, on subjects relating to international trade and economics? Or is one of those cases of self loathing that leads to jealous outbursts towards, to who is it, indians , chinese, i dont know blacks, jews, that are taking away your employment opportunities? Thats a dimwits normal early stages of youth pattern bigotry isnt it?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by internet tough guy
What, you mean propping up the regime in North Korea?

You don't seem to get what I'm saying, fact is Japan at present has a very lightweight military dating back from the end of ww2 - which I would say has been beneficial because its allowed them to focus public spending on the main economy. Anyway this is why they actually want the U.S to be there for protection. And China ain't all good, it has disputes of its own as well, notably with Taiwan which dates back to the communist-nationalist battles.

You write as if there is no internal opposition to US military bases in Japan. As has been pointed out, there is a reason that Japan has a lightweight military and a subservient relationship to the US. What Japan wants out of this relationship has since WWII been almost irrelevant.
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
Glad you decided to edit your post, it didnt really make any sense , even for you.
And what is 'my community' exactly? Do you imagine it to be one of the ones that are beneath you with your, what was it it, red brick university education that has produced such an obvious intellectual specimen? And is it particulary galling to you that an indian /chinese take away food cook can disprove a 'red brick' university dimwit so easily on subjects relating to international trade and economics? Or is one of those cases of self loathing that leads to jealous outbursts towards, to who is it, indians , chinese, i dont know blacks, jews, that are taking away your employment opportunities? Thats the normal early stages of youth pattern bigotry isnt it?

Judging by some of his earlier posts on this thread, you can add muslims to that list.
Original post by grass mud horse
You write as if there is no internal opposition to US military bases in Japan. As has been pointed out, there is a reason that Japan has a lightweight military and a subservient relationship to the US. What Japan wants out of this relationship has since WWII been almost irrelevant.

No doubt there are opposition as there is in virtually every issue, but from what I've briefly read, by and large they're reasonably content with the presence of the U.S military. Although I must admit I don't know too much about this area, sure this discussion is drifting further and further off topic
Although I must admit I don't know too much about this area, sure this discussion is drifting further and further off topic

Yeah, fair enough. Although Japan can be useful as a 'what-if' when talking about China.
Yeah, fair enough. Although Japan can be useful as a 'what-if' when talking about China.

what do you mean, china isn't like japan :s-smilie:
what do you mean, china isn't like japan :s-smilie:

In some ways no, but they both were forced by Western powers to trade in the 19th century via 'gunboat diplomacy' and it can be useful to compare their trajectories since then.
Original post by Elipsis
If you do those modules I presume it covers these things. What are you talking about c-word in the first episode sorry?

He used the C-word, a derogatory term, to describe his knowledge of the Chinese.
Reply 148
Original post by smileatyourself
He used the C-word, a derogatory term, to describe his knowledge of the Chinese.

O I thought you were saying he said the cu word, haha. I was wondering how he'd slip that in. You mean the chi word? I think he was saying it in a way that laughs at us, and admires how far China has come, like we were totally ignorant of just where the world was going. He wasn't directly calling them that word.
Deng Xiaoping deserves the credit for what modern China is today. I think Niall gave quite a balanced account to the best of his ability, openly stating that he doesn't really understand China completely as a Westerner.

Many of the younger Chinese of today have fallen victim to the 'air-brushing' of history that Niall has highlighted, and it seems probable that eventually the current model of Communism will fall in China, perhaps democratically through elections and not through revolution, paving the way for bipartisanship. With so much external pressure it would only take one weak and ineffectual Communist autocrat to cause unrest.
Original post by HighestKungFu
Deng Xiaoping deserves the credit for what modern China is today. I think Niall gave quite a balanced account to the best of his ability, openly stating that he doesn't really understand China completely as a Westerner.

Many of the younger Chinese of today have fallen victim to the 'air-brushing' of history that Niall has highlighted, and it seems probable that eventually the current model of Communism will fall in China, perhaps democratically through elections and not through revolution, paving the way for bipartisanship. With so much external pressure it would only take one weak and ineffectual Communist autocrat to cause unrest.

It will not fall.

Many of the younger Chinese of today have fallen victim to the 'air-brushing' of history that Niall has highlighted...

Well, this is the problem, isn't it? Ferguson is very comfortable with air-brushing history if it suits his 'Western Enlightened Civilisation' thesis, which is why he spent much of the first programme banging on about Qin Shi Huang. The fact is that while the CCP over-inflate the evils of British imperialism etc etc, if you want to understand modern Chinese history then the Opium Wars and other imperialist adventures are far more relevant than emperors who lived over two thousand years ago. The problem for NF is that if he mentioned this he would have less time to smirk contemptuously at his interviewees and randomly bark "ni hao" at strangers in the street.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ras90
It will not fall.

History would dictate otherwise. However I agree that it will likely endure for a very long time from hereon.

What about the airbrushing of the British past as has been mentioned on this column, ie Opium Wars, Treaty Of Nanking and Eight Allied Nation?
The way he draw parallels between China and Pre-WWI Germany was interesting. The whole heap of economic and social problems that face China will surely lead to stagnation and more likely crisis. Their need for expansion accompanied by the rising nationalism, controlled by an authoritarian state is a recipe for disaster.
Original post by Drapetomanic
The way he draw parallels between China and Pre-WWI Germany was interesting. The whole heap of economic and social problems that face The World will surely lead to stagnation and more likely crisis. Their need for expansion accompanied by the rising nationalism, controlled by an authoritarian state is a recipe for disaster.

fixed
The way he draw parallels between China and Pre-WWI Germany was interesting. The whole heap of economic and social problems that face China will surely lead to stagnation and more likely crisis. Their need for expansion accompanied by the rising nationalism, controlled by an authoritarian state is a recipe for disaster.

Errrrrm no it is not.
Lol "The Chinese are the worst employers!" (says african worker)

China worker says "You don't work hard like us"

Black african says "You seen my muscles?"
fixed

I agree, but there are differences. Am I naive for thinking that here in the west repeated economic crisis will lead people forward? Things like occupy for example have arisen in response to crisis. In china, public opinion may be more open to manipulation by an authoritarian repressive state, appealing to nationalism as a means of drawing support for imperialism and aggressive expansion. Or perhaps you're right and the west is in as much danger.

Original post by ras90
Errrrrm no it is not.

Of course, it makes for a lovely environment. :rolleyes:
I agree, but there are differences.

Of course. But Ferguson doesn't bother to take the time to properly understand them

Am I naive for thinking that here in the west repeated economic crisis will lead people forward?

Not naive maybe, but you have to understand that your optimism for the West and pessimism for China most likely comes from the fact that you're from the West, not China.

Things like occupy for example have arisen in response to crisis. In china, public opinion may be more open to manipulation by an authoritarian repressive state, appealing to nationalism as a means of drawing support for imperialism and aggressive expansion.

Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria, Iran. While China's economic expansion into Africa might (depending on your politics) be worrying, they are not (yet) involved in "imperialism and aggressive expansion" in the way that for example the US are. Tibet is just not on the scale of Iraq or Afghanistan.

Or perhaps you're right and the west is in as much danger.

My point is that we are in a global recession with little signs of recovery. People who claim that China is about to implode might want to look at how well they've coped so far and compare that to G8 countries.

Of course, it makes for a lovely environment. :rolleyes:

Ignore him, he is a tedious troll.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending