Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

should rs be taught in school?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I do believe it should be an optio, but should the subject not be called something like pholosophy and ethics?

Also, why is it compulsory in state schools? I have wondered a bout this, as employees normall y consider history more highly as a GCSE.

feel free to share your opinions
    on this

Tom.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it should be an option, so that you could choose to study or you don't. I mean, I find RS quite a waste of time at the moment...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Of course it should! How else are children supposed to catch up on the precious amount of sleep lost by having to go to school?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rs = Religious Studies?

The question about why it's compulsory, I believe it's because of when the state took education off the church. They did so so long as it was taught compulsory.

I think, anyway.

EDIT: My RS(E) exam was called Philosophy and Ethics. *shrugs*
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I personally think it should be an option for those who are interested in the subject.
    I have to take it when I don't really find it that enjoyable, though this is partly down to other people who have no interest in the subject and mess about which harms results, and the teacher having no control over the class -.- I could have taken a second language where I would have got a better grade than a B/C
    I also don't really understand what the benefits of having R.E over a language or history/geography tbh
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh! Everyone at my schools likes it, pretty much because the teacher makes it so interesting...ooh and I do remember one lesson we spent discussing gcse options, the teacher was waiting to teach, but never could xD
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Catholic school here, I hate how it's not titled 'Philosophy and Ethics' -.-
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any school that has religious teaching that ISN'T objective and inclusive about it should not get any state funding.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Should definitely NOT be compulsory. That being said, I do enjoy the philosophy and ethics aspect.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    i think it should be compulsory. mainly because i think its important for kids to learn about other religions and their cultures and to be more accepting of them. i do think that the current RS curriculum is s***. you learn absolutely nothing of any importance. we should be learning about the main religions, their background, what they involve and maybe like case studies of people who follow them so that we actually get an understanding and basic knowlegde of religion. obviously i cant speak for the whole country, but what ive experienced seems to be incredibly ignorant of other religions (i heard one girl talking about 'those hindus that worship allah...') and cultures - me included i should add.
    personally i dont believe in god, and i dont really believe in religion (kinda difficult to explain unless you sort of feel the same) but i still want to know about them and what they mean to people. its still a very important part in all cultures....i dont understand why there isnt more effective lessons on it :/
    obviously it shouldnt be compulsory for a level....id say probably make it compulsory to year 9, then offer it for GCSE

wow....lots of people saying it shouldnt be compulsory...why is that? is that because you dont believe in god and you dont think it should be pushed on people? they should be free to make their own choice?
    i do sort of agree with that, but i think that by exposing kids to a range of religions would allow them much more free choice as it is showing them that there is a choice to be made...not simply that it is god or no god, but that there are different gods etc and that each religion is unique.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Of course it should be compulsory. It's a massive part of life, and it's pretty much vital to understand other people's beliefs.

(this coming from an atheist)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    RS? I did independent study for GCSE RS (I was the only one in my year who wanted to do it :L), but we also had timetabled RS, where we didn't actually do anything, the teacher never turned up and it eventually became a very very useful study period. So it does have a redeeming feature.
    • 99 followers

ReputationRep:
    France bans it, afaik and look at the state of France. Just sayin'

Our RE lessons were quite interesting tbf - even if we did watch lots of films

Bear in mind however, that RE was optional in our school
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    This was not about being taught the invaluable skills of Runescape.

I am disappoint.

"So everybody knows that a level 60 woodcut can make much more money outside of Varrok..."
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fragile_Illusions)
    Of course it should be compulsory. It's a massive part of life, and it's pretty much vital to understand other people's beliefs.

(this coming from an atheist)
    No. If RS encompassed the beliefs of Mormons, Scientology, and Independent Fundamental Baptists, I'd be up in arms. Also, contrary to popular belief, RS gravitates around the belief system the school holds, e.g. a Catholic school will predominately teach Catholicism and brush upon other belief systems in little-to-no detail, which aren't mentioned in the exams. This is coming from personal experience, so I'm not sure how other schools work.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by POWCATTY)
    i think it should be compulsory. mainly because i think its important for kids to learn about other religions and their cultures and to be more accepting of them. i do think that the current RS curriculum is s***. you learn absolutely nothing of any importance. we should be learning about the main religions, their background, what they involve and maybe like case studies of people who follow them so that we actually get an understanding and basic knowlegde of religion. obviously i cant speak for the whole country, but what ive experienced seems to be incredibly ignorant of other religions (i heard one girl talking about 'those hindus that worship allah...') and cultures - me included i should add.
    personally i dont believe in god, and ri dont really believe in religion (kinda difficult to explain unless you sort of feel the same) but i still want to know about them and what they mean to people. its still a very important part in all cultures....i dont understand why there isnt more effective lessons on it :/
    obviously it shouldnt be compulsory for a level....id say probably make it compulsory to year 9, then offer it for GCSE

wow....lots of people saying it shouldnt be compulsory...why is that? is that because you dont believe in god and you dont think it should be pushed on people? they should be free to make their own choice?
    i do sort of agree with that, but i think that by exposing kids to a range of religions would allow them much more free choice as it is showing them that there is a choice to be made...not simply that it is god or no god, but that there are different gods etc and that each religion is unique.
    Seriously? I mean, (no offence meant of course), that the current cirriculum is more likely to affect future decisions. Gcse should be philosophy and ethics. I personally believe religion learning is enough up till gcse.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    RS wasn't enjoyable for me when I was subjected to the hour long lessons in year 9 however I know appreciate it because I realise I had the opportunity to learn about other religions. We already have so many ignorant people in our society I'm pretty sure the situation would only get worse if RS were to be scrapped.
    I do agree that forcing people to take GCSE RS is wrong but it doesn't happen often I don't think.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got to watch a lot of films in RS, and do very little work, so it's all good.

I'm an atheist, and think it should be compulsory.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    'RS' to me means runescape haha. If that is what you were asking i'd say yes! Runescape gcse would be great lol. 'How to pvp'

Pssht if there was one subject that could be thrown out and replaced by the much needed computer science, RS could be one (but yes ofcourse it is the shocking, disgusting ICT)

Those two years taught me practically nothing, very simple indeed. the sort of exam you could get an A on by doing 1 afternoon's reading.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it should be, but in an objective manner. And it should definitely be taught better than the standard at my old school.

For some reason we watched Saving Private Ryan 4x in a term... I guess the teacher was bored?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 4, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.