Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to stop sending spam (hotmail)

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Sorry if this question has been asked before.

Basically just woke up to day and realised a **** load of spam has been sent from my email address to virtually all of my contacts, including professional ones. This has never happened to me before.

I've changed the password and am now running Malwarebytes. Will do an avast system scan when that is done. Is there anything else I can do? Will I have to write off this account? I really don't want to as it's linked to a number of other registrations.

Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just delete this accounflt, and make a nw one, if thats possible
    And don't worry, you're not alone, as the same has ocured with me too :/
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mine stopped doing it after a couple of days I just changed the password.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It's likly one of these has happened:
    You have a virus on your computer - You're doing the right thing already by running some scans. If you don't already consider installing an av package.

You've given away your hotmail password. Change the password and check the security questions. It might just be you've used the same password on several sites and one isn't so good at storing it

Finally a spammer has just chosen to spoof (fake) your address. It doesn't mean they have any access to your account. They just happened to configure they're mail system to use your address. This happens all the time. I get lots of bounce messages everyday for such emails.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have you signed up or logged into to anywhere you now consider to be dodgy? I assume this has probably happened to me because I logged into to msn sites to see who blocked me cos I was bored, and did have friendship problems with certain people at that time.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The onle reason they can send it from your account is because they have access to it which means they know your password, can your computer with an anti virus, then change your password.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Had this problem with yahoo, change your password and all should be fine
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    got this problem :/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aysha.19)
    got this problem :/
    Change your password, and then run malware bytes. http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...-10804572.html
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krebs)
    Hi guys,

Sorry if this question has been asked before.

Basically just woke up to day and realised a **** load of spam has been sent from my email address to virtually all of my contacts, including professional ones. This has never happened to me before.

I've changed the password and am now running Malwarebytes. Will do an avast system scan when that is done. Is there anything else I can do? Will I have to write off this account? I really don't want to as it's linked to a number of other registrations.

Thanks
    Change password, make sure the new one is harder e.g. numbers, captials,lower case, maybe even more.

And also the secret question answer
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krebs)
    Change your password, and then run malware bytes. http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...-10804572.html
    yes i've changed the password and the problem seems solved.
    Thank you.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krebs)
    btw i just downloaded this malware bytes, it blocked a few internet sites i was trying to open... does that mean they are actually harmful?? im confused cuz one seems like a genuine website, it has all the past papers...
    • 51 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your email address has been harvested, along with your contacts list and the culprit has sent emails to your contacts by spoofing your address. You need to clean your computer before you do anything. You must assume that all your passwords are compromised and it's likely that your contacts will continue to receive spam.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Change the password AND all security questions. Plus check any accounts linked to that one, for instance if you have a secondary account listed make sure that hasn't been compromised.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 3, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.