Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

No desire to want a relationship?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am 20, and have never had a girlfriend and no desire to get one or have kids in the future. I have loads of mates, and constantly active with sport, fitness etc - so not lonely at all but just no desire for a relationship or future with a partner. Why is this seen as weird in society these days?
    • 89 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it's natural for most people to have relationships and offspring in order to carry on the human race, but if you don't feel it's for you then I don't see why it should be a problem. It's a free country so just do what makes you happy . People will just see it as weird because it's different to what they're personally used to.

I get what you mean cos the amount of older people that keep asking me if I have a boyfriend is a bit irritating, like they think it's very strange that I don't have one (maybe cos they were all married by my age). Though, I actually would kinda like one anyway but I just haven't found the right person yet *shrugs*
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    It isn't weird. There's plenty of people who don't give a **** about relaionships until a much older age, or not at all. You could also be asexual.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    I think it's natural for most people to have relationships and offspring in order to carry on the human race, but if you don't feel it's for you then I don't see why it should be a problem. It's a free country so just do what makes you happy . People will just see it as weird because it's different to what they're personally used to.

I get what you mean cos the amount of older people that keep asking me if I have a boyfriend is a bit irritating, like they think it's very strange that I don't have one (maybe cos they were all married by my age). Though, I actually would kinda like one anyway but I just haven't found the right person yet *shrugs*
    I just don't feel the need to always be in a relationship, like many people i know do. Nor do i feel the urge or desire to procreate, as i feel that until i am earning a decent income and am financially secure it is unfair to do so - on society and the child.
    • 89 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moontoon)
    I just don't feel the need to always be in a relationship, like many people i know do. Nor do i feel the urge or desire to procreate, as i feel that until i am earning a decent income and am financially secure it is unfair to do so - on society and the child.
    Yeah, I also wouldn't want a child until I was financially secure and at a good point in life to start a family. I think most wise people think that way though :yep:

I know there are some people who have no interest in romantic relationships, but still like to have a lot of flings and casual stuff - are you like that? Or you're just not interested at all in relationships apart from platonic ones?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    Yeah, I also wouldn't want a child until I was financially secure and at a good point in life to start a family. I think most wise people think that way though :yep:

I know there are some people who have no interest in romantic relationships, but still like to have a lot of flings and casual stuff - are you like that? Or you're just not interested at all in relationships apart from platonic ones?
    Apart from those people who are 'broody' and feel the need to have loads of kids, even when the probably can't afford them and then rely on the government to 'bail them out'!

Maybe more casual yes, i just couldn't imagine myself being that close to someone in a romantic/love kind of way. It may just be my frame of mind at my age at the moment, however.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    It isn't weird. There's plenty of people who don't give a **** about relaionships until a much older age, or not at all. You could also be asexual.
    Some asexual people want relationships, just not necessarily sex. Sounds like the OP could fit under that though.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am 20, and have never had a girlfriend and no desire to get one or have kids in the future. I have loads of mates, and constantly active with sport, fitness etc - so not lonely at all but just no desire for a relationship or future with a partner. Why is this seen as weird in society these days?
    It is not seen as weird in Amsterdam. I feel the same way and have never faced any criticism here. Maybe only in more traditional societies.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naarim)
    Some asexual people want relationships, just not necessarily sex. Sounds like the OP could fit under that though.
    Yes and they could also have sex for the sole reason of pleasing their partner. They wouldn't think about doing it before they meet a partner though.
    • 89 followers

ReputationRep:
    Apart from those people who are 'broody' and feel the need to have loads of kids, even when the probably can't afford them and then rely on the government to 'bail them out'!
    That's why I mentioned about being wise. Wise people wouldn't go having children if they knew they couldn't afford them. Maybe unless they got pregnant by accident despite using contraception properly and didn't believe in having abortions.

Maybe more casual yes, i just couldn't imagine myself being that close to someone in a romantic/love kind of way. It may just be my frame of mind at my age at the moment, however.
    I think you a have a decent attitude :yep:. You obviously haven't met the right person yet, so it's much better to feel content with it like you do and concentrate on other aspects of your life, than to get all constantly depressed and obsessive over not having a relationship like so many young people are (I've even been guilty of this myself, but I'm slowly getting better now).
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    A lot of asexuals do want a relationship and kids - it's just sexual attraction that they're lacking. Asexual =/= aromantic.

Yes and they could also have sex for the sole reason of pleasing their partner. They wouldn't think about doing it before they meet a partner though.
    Oddly enough, some asexuals enjoy sex themselves. They don't feel the desire to have sex with someone in particular, even a long-term partner, but some do enjoy sex in general.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 28, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.