Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

"If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon Martin"- Obama

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckingalt)
    The media is using a bit of showmanship to fuel the emotion behind this story. IMHO Zimmerman is an arse and probably instigated the whole affair unnecessarily. Reports do indicate that Martin does have a broke nose though. Zimmerman probably did look like a thug and not a nerdy kid when it occurred. That may not deserve to make any difference but then why is the media going out of their way to spin it otherwise.

The truth is if this had been two blacks, two whites, or two hispanics we wouldn't be having this conservation. The implication is that it is racially fueled. Their are two sides of the story and the truth. At this point we have heard one side of the story. We have yet to hear the other, and neither one will be the whole truth.

For the record I believe Zimmerman to be at fault, but because I strive to be rational and objective, I will reserve my judgement until the facts come out. The president of the United States certainly doesn't help this case by giving his.
    This post doesn't make sense, I think you have the names the wrong way around.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brutal Honesty)
    This post doesn't make sense, I think you have the names the wrong way around.
    Right, its Martin's fault that he was gunned down
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    Right, its Martin's fault that he was gunned down
    ?
    I was referring to this part:
    Zimmerman probably did look like a thug and not a nerdy kid when it occurred
    The part with the broken nose as well, it makes more sense if the names were the other way around.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dressing like an arse does not legitimate murder.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notethis)
    Trayvon assaulted him, and Zimmerman shot him in self defence.
    Uh there's no evidence that Trayvon assaulted him. From what we can tell he was just walking along minding his own business. Zimmerman decided he was being suspicious (despite there being no evidence to the contary) and then he started following Trayvon. He called 911 and when talking to the 911 person he was specifically told to stop following trayvon. But he did.
    Just how exactly would Trayvon assault Zimmerman? Zimmerman was armed and 100 pounds heavier and Trayvon had nothing on him but sweets?

Please...do explain.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    Allegedly Trayvon assaulted Zimmerman.We cant really ask Trayvon what happened because he is dead, poor kid was shot for no reason at all.The quicker they arrest Zimmerman the better!!.I've just thought about this but if Zimmerman was indeed assaulted wouldnt there be marks on him,bruises or cuts that kind of thing.If he has gone to ground these wounds might heal by the time he is found/gives himself up, its just his word against a kid that cant speak for himself.
    He had a broken nose and was bleeding from the back of his head.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notethis)
    He had a broken nose and was bleeding from the back of his head.
    your evidence for this?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

2.53m in or clicky

------
    While I do agree that the way the story has been presented by the media is biased (and that this is often the case) I don't think it would be any better if you presented it the other way round. Whether he was just a black kid or a black kid dressed like a gangsta that's still not justification for shooting him. If the guy acted on these prejudices alone as seems to be the case then it does suggest it was racially motivated and if there were other reasons they should have been assessed in a court room by a jury and not at the side of the road by a cop.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    Sure. In America it's perfectly legal to carry a gun and use it if you're attacked, which is precisely why there were no charges pressed against Zimmerman.

It's not quite the same thing but I practice Judo and am very competent in it. If someone punched me they'd find their head hitting the concrete at 60mph, and they'd probably die of brain injuries/bleeding. I would have no qualms or hesitation in killing someone if they attacked me.
    No. It is not legal to use a gun if attacked. As seen in this link here

http://www.northwestohio.com/news/st...9#.T3HtIGEgcRo

Appropriate force must be used. If you are attacked you can't simply whip out a gun and shoot. Florida, and one or two other states, have a UNIQUE law where the use of deadly force is allowed - which has brought up many issues in the past.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Uh there's no evidence that Trayvon assaulted him. From what we can tell he was just walking along minding his own business. Zimmerman decided he was being suspicious (despite there being no evidence to the contary) and then he started following Trayvon. He called 911 and when talking to the 911 person he was specifically told to stop following trayvon. But he did.
    Just how exactly would Trayvon assault Zimmerman? Zimmerman was armed and 100 pounds heavier and Trayvon had nothing on him but sweets?

Please...do explain.
    It would seem that Trayvon and Zimmerman DID have a scuffle. And while Zimmerman was heavier, Trayvon was almost half a foot taller and played on the school football team - he certainly wasn't a lightweight

NOT condoning the shooting in any shape or form, just trying to clear things up
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SleepySheep)
    That quote makes me laugh. He's effectively saying that all black people look the same. Nice way to curb racial stereotyping there, Mr Obama.
    Yeah to unsophisticated idiots who take everything literally, thats how it would sound to them.

Seriously though, he's saying in a subtle way, that it could have happened to his son (if he had one), and obviously this is put into the context that this killing seems to be racially motivated.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    Ignoring the complete absence of evidence, you think it's ok to shoot to kill if you're being assaulted?
    Apparently so. This right is enshrined in Florida state law as "stand your ground". By official police accounts, this is exactly what Zimmerman did, hence why he got off scott-free.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Of course the media will look to milk every story like this by manipulating the public, it's how they make money.

That doesn't excuse the fact that he was shot and killed and Zimmerman is a murderer, he claims it was in self defense...but why then was he following him?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So. What's your point?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

A more recent photo of Trayvon Martin. He doesn't look anything like Obama.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    Sure. In America it's perfectly legal to carry a gun and use it if you're attacked, which is precisely why there were no charges pressed against Zimmerman.

It's not quite the same thing but I practice Judo and am very competent in it. If someone punched me they'd find their head hitting the concrete at 60mph, and they'd probably die of brain injuries/bleeding. I would have no qualms or hesitation in killing someone if they attacked me.

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    That quote makes me laugh. He's effectively saying that all black people look the same. Nice way to curb racial stereotyping there, Mr Obama.

But anyway, I don't really get the point you're trying to make. You can't possibly be trying to say that he deserved to be shot dead because he posed like a bit of a dickhead in some Facebook pictures, so what is your point exactly?
    :facepalm2:
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Did Obama really say that?

If he did, he now seems quite silly to me. :lolwut:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)

A more recent photo of Trayvon Martin. He doesn't look anything like Obama.
    Suddenly I'm less sympathetic. I don't know why Obama has to say stuff like "he'd look like my son" anyway. Who cares?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Derp. Don't be a moron. He's clearly making the point that it is racially motivated, he's not saying his son would look exactly like him.

I think it was a pretty powerful statement.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 31, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.