Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BREAKDOWN OF AO's for OCR AS English Literature?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! Just wanted to know if any of you guys could help me out with exactly how to meet each of the AO criterias to really hit the top bands for my comparative coursework piece. Here are the AO's:
    AO1: Excellent and consistently detailed understanding of at least two texts and task undertaken
    Consistently fluent and accurate writing in appropriate register
    Critical terminology accurately accurately and confidently used
    Well structured, coherent and detailed argument consitently developed throughout the answer
    AO3xcellent and consistently detailed effective comparison of relationships between texts
    Well informed and effective exploration of different readings of texts
    AO4: consistently well developed and consistently detailed well informed understanding of the significance and influence of the contexts in which literary texts are written and understood, as appropriate to the task undertaken.
    All help will be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's been a while since you posted and nobody's replied yet...maybe you should check out MarkedbyTeachers.com, TSR's sister site. It has the largest library of essays in the UK.

They've got over 181,000+ coursework, essays, homeworks etc.. all written by GCSE, A Level, University and IB students across all topics. You get access either by publishing some of your own work, or paying £4.99 for a month's access. Both ways give you unlimited access to all of the essays.

All their documents are submitted to Turnitin anti-plagiarism software, so it can't be misused, and the site's used by hundreds of thousands of UK teachers and students.

What's more, you can take a look around the site and preview the work absolutely free. Click here to find out more...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PanicAttack)
    Hey guys! Just wanted to know if any of you guys could help me out with exactly how to meet each of the AO criterias to really hit the top bands for my comparative coursework piece. Here are the AO's:
    AO1: Excellent and consistently detailed understanding of at least two texts and task undertaken
    Consistently fluent and accurate writing in appropriate register
    Critical terminology accurately accurately and confidently used
    Well structured, coherent and detailed argument consitently developed throughout the answer
    AO3xcellent and consistently detailed effective comparison of relationships between texts
    Well informed and effective exploration of different readings of texts
    AO4: consistently well developed and consistently detailed well informed understanding of the significance and influence of the contexts in which literary texts are written and understood, as appropriate to the task undertaken.
    All help will be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance
    Hey I'm also doing this exam. I would say that it looks like you know what to do. Just make sure you're confident with the texts and you have all the quotes and themes in your head.

Just one question. Do you know what ao's we need for poetry and the novel comparisons..

is ao3 only included for poetry?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    AO1 = essay writing. Writing style, syntax and Lexis.
    AO2 = Terminology and argument.
    AO3 = Symbolism and Imagery
    AO4 = Understanding of historical context and impacts upon.

AO3 is included in both essays.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hypedupturtle)
    AO1 = essay writing. Writing style, syntax and Lexis.
    AO2 = Terminology and argument.
    AO3 = Symbolism and Imagery
    AO4 = Understanding of historical context and impacts upon.

AO3 is included in both essays.
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/ms_11...1_gce_f661.pdf
    According to OCR, AO3 is connections and comparisons between different literary texts and alternative interpretations.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markz123)
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/ms_11...1_gce_f661.pdf
    According to OCR, AO3 is connections and comparisons between different literary texts and alternative interpretations.
    Derp, my mistake :/

Cheers.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Derp, my mistake :/

Cheers.
    Do you know whether the questions for prose is going to be on a specific chapter or just one theme? Please reply asap.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Recently they've followed the trend of themes - I firmly believe that that sort of chapter study no longer has a place in the specification. However, like you, I'm merely speculating on limited evidence, so prepare knowledge of the book in full detail.

Develop your individual readings though, focusing on Jane, Roch, St. John and Bertha. I'll quickly give you some of the brief basics:

Feminist readings - Jane trapped within patriarchal society, eventually embracing the freedom which her intellect and morals provide her.

Marxist - Class struggle, Jane's journey from low class to high class.

Historic - comment on whether the above are atypical of the era. Notice how Jane marrying for love was at the time a very new thing, with only Austen having dabbled in marriage for love thus far. Also focus strongly on the Romantic vs Augustan divide within the novel.

Colonial - Roch making his money from colonialism (moral response?). The effects of colonialism upon Bertha Mason - was her madness exacerbated as a symbol of the negativity of displacement from one's true origins. Is the book attempting to make a colonial statement.

Psychological - Bertha is a manifestation of Jane's Jungian shadow - uncivil where Jane is civil, feeling where jane is thinking, representing the moral and emotional incarceration that Jane is subject to (Feminism/Marxism.) Mention Freud, how Jane's need to find a male figure is due to her lack of a father figure throughout childhood - how she had no one to form an Elektra complex with.

Religious - Jane's rejection of orthodox religion in favour of the spiritual and traditional pagan beliefs (her constant allusion to Nature and fae.) Helen Burn's stoic beliefs (research Stoicism if you're unaware.) Importance of religion in society and effects of.

Etc etc. I'm sure you already know all these and I'm merely preaching to the choir, but people reinforcing the simple, basic elements is so useful for revision.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm also doing this exam. I would say that it looks like you know what to do. Just make sure you're confident with the texts and you have all the quotes and themes in your head.

Just one question. Do you know what ao's we need for poetry and the novel comparisons..

is ao3 only included for poetry?
    HI! I take it that you're doing OCR? Here are the AO's for each piece:
    Coursework comparison: AO1, AO3 and AO4
    Poetry: AO1, AO2 and AO4
    Prose: AO1, AO2, AO3 and AO4
    Got this right out of the mark scheme provided by my school. Hope this helps!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Recently they've followed the trend of themes - I firmly believe that that sort of chapter study no longer has a place in the specification. However, like you, I'm merely speculating on limited evidence, so prepare knowledge of the book in full detail.

Develop your individual readings though, focusing on Jane, Roch, St. John and Bertha. I'll quickly give you some of the brief basics:

Feminist readings - Jane trapped within patriarchal society, eventually embracing the freedom which her intellect and morals provide her.

Marxist - Class struggle, Jane's journey from low class to high class.

Historic - comment on whether the above are atypical of the era. Notice how Jane marrying for love was at the time a very new thing, with only Austen having dabbled in marriage for love thus far. Also focus strongly on the Romantic vs Augustan divide within the novel.

Colonial - Roch making his money from colonialism (moral response?). The effects of colonialism upon Bertha Mason - was her madness exacerbated as a symbol of the negativity of displacement from one's true origins. Is the book attempting to make a colonial statement.

Psychological - Bertha is a manifestation of Jane's Jungian shadow - uncivil where Jane is civil, feeling where jane is thinking, representing the moral and emotional incarceration that Jane is subject to (Feminism/Marxism.) Mention Freud, how Jane's need to find a male figure is due to her lack of a father figure throughout childhood - how she had no one to form an Elektra complex with.

Religious - Jane's rejection of orthodox religion in favour of the spiritual and traditional pagan beliefs (her constant allusion to Nature and fae.) Helen Burn's stoic beliefs (research Stoicism if you're unaware.) Importance of religion in society and effects of.

Etc etc. I'm sure you already know all these and I'm merely preaching to the choir, but people reinforcing the simple, basic elements is so useful for revision.
    The prose for my exam is different from yours. Mine is Dorian Gray.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So is mine
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What about poetry? How is everyone revising for that? I'm starting to panic about how much of the texts we need to know off by heart ...please tell me i'm not the only one who hasn't started yet.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abc1234x)
    What about poetry? How is everyone revising for that? I'm starting to panic about how much of the texts we need to know off by heart ...please tell me i'm not the only one who hasn't started yet.
    I've starrted a bit for poetry & prose but have not complete it yet. Don't worry, just make sure you finish it by the end of next week because exams are approaching fast.

Once you do that, I'd say, just focus on test papers.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've starrted a bit for poetry & prose but have not complete it yet. Don't worry, just make sure you finish it by the end of next week because exams are approaching fast.

Once you do that, I'd say, just focus on test papers.
    Yeah, but even if i do the past papers, it's so difficult to know how well you have done in english. But, how are you choosing what quotes to remember?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abc1234x)
    Yeah, but even if i do the past papers, it's so difficult to know how well you have done in english. But, how are you choosing what quotes to remember?
    All you need to make sure is that what you write makes sense, is relevant to the question, includes quotes, has terminology with analysis and you'll be fine.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PanicAttack)
    So is mine
    Snap! I'm doing Dorian Gray as well

What are the main themes/quotes you need to remember?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.Star)
    Snap! I'm doing Dorian Gray as well

What are the main themes/quotes you need to remember?
    Tbh, it can be any theme. But OCR are unpredictable. So you neva know.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    All you need to make sure is that what you write makes sense, is relevant to the question, includes quotes, has terminology with analysis and you'll be fine.
    Cool beans - thank you

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 16, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.