The Student Room Group

Literally so angry

My car was broken into 2 nights ago. My OH always checks both cars when he's out with the dog at 11pm and all was well. Woke up in the morning and both doors were lying open just off the latch. Like they didn't want to close them and wake anyone. No forced entry but they have got in somehow. Supposedly they can clone the code the remote locking sends to the car and get in that way.

Stupidly I had finished up a job and left my very expensive surgical loupes I NEED to do my job in the boot. I would guess about £2000 to replace (I got them cheaper at student price so not 100% on the full price) and they were taken. WTF some scummy little bastard is going to do with loupes I don't know.

My sat nav was taken but it was about 6 years old and worthless so can cope with that.

Worse still my insurance company (home insurance, car insurance doesn't cover enough £££) despite saying this is a widespread problem, are refusing to pay out for the loupes. We pay extra insurance for this scenario (up to £5000 items out of home cover) and they are refusing. Say it is up to us to prove the car was locked! How are you meant to do that?! What is even the point in insurance, when you need them the most they wriggle out of it.

I don't have enough money to buy new ones and I pretty much need them for my job. Screwed.

*rant over*

Anyone else had this happen to them? Any suggestions?

I'm taking the car to the garage to get the keys reprogrammed (at my expense again ffs) but they can just do it again if they want.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Most if not all insurance claims for theft will require signs of forced entry. It will be in the fine print.

Original post by Magnanimity
My car was broken into 2 nights ago. My OH always checks both cars when he's out with the dog at 11pm and all was well. Woke up in the morning and both doors were lying open just off the latch. Like they didn't want to close them and wake anyone. No forced entry but they have got in somehow. Supposedly they can clone the code the remote locking sends to the car and get in that way.

More of an urban legend on the part of cloning your remote, unless you commonly give the car keys to say a valet or dodgy carpark operator. Otherwise it is impossible to clone the signal of a car remote control.

Does the car have an alarm or just an immobilizer? What kind of car is it?

Stupidly I had finished up a job and left my very expensive surgical loupes I NEED to do my job in the boot. I would guess about £2000 to replace (I got them cheaper at student price so not 100% on the full price) and they were taken. WTF some scummy little ******* is going to do with loupes I don't know.

Probably another med student who lost his/hers' would find a set of stolen ones to be rather attractive. You'd be surprised what people steal these days.

My sat nav was taken but it was about 6 years old and worthless so can cope with that.

That might have been the thing the crooks wanted in the first place and broke it specifically for that, thereafter they found the loupes.

Worse still my insurance company (home insurance, car insurance doesn't cover enough £££) despite saying this is a widespread problem, are refusing to pay out for the loupes. We pay extra insurance for this scenario (up to £5000 items out of home cover) and they are refusing. Say it is up to us to prove the car was locked! How are you meant to do that?! What is even the point in insurance, when you need them the most they wriggle out of it.

Check around the doors especially the handle area, are there any scratches even if it is a fine one, or look around the rubber seals of the doors, are there any signs of a wire being pushed through? That usually might do the trick between a claim and a claim that isn't being honoured.

Well if the insurance company paid out at every story, almost everyone will be claiming they lost something in a car.

I don't have enough money to buy new ones and I pretty much need them for my job. Screwed.

*rant over*

I'm taking the car to the garage to get the keys reprogrammed (at my expense again ffs) but they can just do it again if they want.

Are you sure that is really required and not OTT?

Yes had this happen before some years back, some chav broke into the car, he used to work at the carwash place and managed to make a copy of the key on one of those times when I just left the car there and went for a meal. Thankfully caught him on CCTV which I had installed because of similar issues, lots of car break-ins and also chavs vandalizing homes.
Reply 2
Original post by Herr
Most if not all insurance claims for theft will require signs of forced entry. It will be in the fine print.

I do appreciate this.

More of an urban legend on the part of cloning your remote, unless you commonly give the car keys to say a valet or dodgy carpark operator. Otherwise it is impossible to clone the signal of a car remote control.

I'm going by what the police have said. They recently got a guy (near my area) running around with some equipment he had bought off ebay. They referred to it as a 'scanner'. It is definitely not unheard of.

Does the car have an alarm or just an immobilizer? What kind of car is it?

60 plate Audi TT. Would expect it to be fairly secure!

Probably another med student who lost his/hers' would find a set of stolen ones to be rather attractive. You'd be surprised what people steal these days.

Loupes require very specific measurements. My prescription was built in and they are measured specific to your declination angles etc with through the flip loupes like mine. A med student/dental student would appreciate this. They are worth a lot to me, but worthless to anyone else!

That might have been the thing the crooks wanted in the first place and broke it specifically for that, thereafter they found the loupes.

There was nothing left out in the car to entice them in. Sat nav was in the glovebox.

Check around the doors especially the handle area, are there any scratches even if it is a fine one, or look around the rubber seals of the doors, are there any signs of a wire being pushed through? That usually might do the trick between a claim and a claim that isn't being honoured.

Well if the insurance company paid out at every story, almost everyone will be claiming they lost something in a car.

I haven't managed to find anything but I'm going to check again now, hadn't really given a lot of attention to the seals etc.

Are you sure that is really required and not OTT?

Yes had this happen before some years back, some chav broke into the car, he used to work at the carwash place and managed to make a copy of the key on one of those times when I just left the car there and went for a meal. Thankfully caught him on CCTV which I had installed because of similar issues, lots of car break-ins and also chavs vandalizing homes.

Well, I've currently got a car sitting right outside my home that has been accessed and I don't know how. I need to do something, even if it is just to make myself feel a bit better/raise the problem with Audi...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Well, I've currently got a car sitting right outside my home that has been accessed and I don't know how. I need to do something, even if it is just to make myself feel a bit better/raise the problem with Audi...

Since it is a fairly new TT and also a current model, there is an 0800 number in the Document Pack that came with the car, give them a call and speak to someone with regard to car security, tell them what had happened and they would send over someone to look at it.

Audi UK used to tell the AA or RAC to inform them if their crew had managed to open a door without a key of any of their cars and they will be interested to know about it too if something like this is indeed happening.

Interestingly some years back Thames Valley Police was going on about that there existed a device which could scan cars for laptops and to not leave the laptop locked in the car even if it was in the boot, as there were lots of laptop thefts during that era from cars... turned out to be a hoax as there were 250 cars driven and parked in and around London with a laptop in the boot and none of these cars were broken into especially in areas where it was known that previously a laptop theft case had happened.
Reply 4
I'd go to the insurance ombudsman.
The onus is not on you to prove it was locked but on them to prove it was unlocked.
I know some of the older VAG cars were pretty easy to break into with a screw driver, but I'm guessing they've sorted that by now. Are there no marks around the key hole or around the edges of the doors?
Reply 6
I'd hate that to happen to anyone :s awful feeling. Keep us updated OP.
Sorry it has happened to you, did you leave the sat nav out on show? Pretty silly of you if you did- and if these loupes are so valuable- why would you not want to keep them under your nose 24/7?!

No doubt the thief will know how much they are worth and sell them on.

Lesson learnt I guess.
Reply 8
Original post by ilovehobnobs
Sorry it has happened to you, did you leave the sat nav out on show? Pretty silly of you if you did- and if these loupes are so valuable- why would you not want to keep them under your nose 24/7?!

No doubt the thief will know how much they are worth and sell them on.

Lesson learnt I guess.

Did you even read the thread? The sat nav was in the glove box. The loupes are normally kept in work but I finished a job and left them in the boot. I wish I hadn't now obviously but as there is no external boot release I would have thought it would be reasonably secure overnight.

A policeman neighbour has confirmed that there is something going on with 'scanners' whatever this may be and seems to think the station would be able to give a statement saying it is happening in the area, in which case the insurance would be upheld so fingers crossed.
Reply 9
That's really, really ****ty, I hope everything works out :frown:
Did you even read the thread? The sat nav was in the glove box. The loupes are normally kept in work but I finished a job and left them in the boot. I wish I hadn't now obviously but as there is no external boot release I would have thought it would be reasonably secure overnight.

A policeman neighbour has confirmed that there is something going on with 'scanners' whatever this may be and seems to think the station would be able to give a statement saying it is happening in the area, in which case the insurance would be upheld so fingers crossed.

Vengeful, Imperial Overlord of The Student Room

Magnanimity +3Magnanimity +3Magnanimity +3

Literally so angry

Stupidly I had finished up a job and left my very expensive surgical loupes I NEED to do my job in the boot. I would guess about £2000 to replace (I got them cheaper at student price so not 100% on the full price) and they were taken. WTF some scummy little bastard is going to do with loupes I don't know.

*rant over*

Last edited by Magnanimity; 1 Day Ago at 14:37.

Where does it say that? Did you try and edit it to make me sound like an idiot? :rolleyes: Or is it all fabricated and you can't keep up with the lies? :wink:
Reply 11
Vengeful, Imperial Overlord of The Student Room

Magnanimity +3Magnanimity +3Magnanimity +3

Literally so angry

*rant over*

Last edited by Magnanimity; 1 Day Ago at 14:37.

Where does it say that? Did you try and edit it to make me sound like an idiot? :rolleyes: Or is it all fabricated and you can't keep up with the lies? :wink:

No it's not in my initial post, it's in my reply to Herr further down. That's why I asked had you read the thread, not the post. And you can see when it was last edited quite clearly.

What a strange response to a thread on a forum :lolwut:
Reply 12

Read the WHOLE THREAD before being a smug little so and so.

There was nothing left out in the car to entice them in. Sat nav was in the glovebox.
Reply 13
OH means?
My next door neighbors Audi Q7 has has problems with someone getting into it here as well, the police said the thief has some sort of device to open the doors on a certain type of newer Audi's!
Reply 15
Insurance companies are utter bastards. I used to work as a legal secretary years ago for RTAs and they were so tight when it came to paying out for damaged or stolen goods. I used to have to really hassle them on a daily basis even for paltry sums like £50. It's such a con given how much you pay them, I have no respect for the industry whatsoever. Profiteering from absolutely nothing. Anyway, if they continue to refuse threaten with legal action and pay a solicitor to recoup the money for you. There should be someone who can represent you for a couple of hundred. If they are worth a few grand it'll be worth it.

I never take out insurance except on my car where it's an offence not to as they really aren't worth the money.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Fusionary
OH means?

Other half. I am married.

Original post by Glow in the dark
My next door neighbors Audi Q7 has has problems with someone getting into it here as well, the police said the thief has some sort of device to open the doors on a certain type of newer Audi's!

Seriously? That is actually terrifying. I've had the keys reprogrammed which Audi did for free (very nice of them!) but I know if it is a scanner they could just hit it again. Our neighbours here are quite shaken up and we are going to group together and get CCTV. Where we live is so secluded this has been a complete shock, it's not like somebody could just be walking by and look in/try the door. They would really need to deliberately come into the development.

Original post by Toaster Leavings
Insurance companies are utter bastards. I used to work as a legal secretary years ago for RTAs and they were so tight when it came to paying out for damaged or stolen goods. I used to have to really hassle them on a daily basis even for paltry sums like £50. It's such a con given how much you pay them, I have no respect for the industry whatsoever. Profiteering from absolutely nothing. Anyway, if they continue to refuse threaten with legal action and pay a solicitor to recoup the money for you. There should be someone who can represent you for a couple of hundred. If they are worth a few grand it'll be worth it.

I never take out insurance except on my car where it's an offence not to as they really aren't worth the money.

Makes me so mad. I view car insurance as pointless because you pay for it in increased premiums anyway. Where possible I would always try and settle outwith insurance or a good accident management if it's not your fault. They are now refusing to go to the police for the police report, say they have to go to the insurance company! I'm sure the police will take the time to phone an insurance company. Ridiculous.
Reply 18
It won't have been a scanner. Scanners only worked with the very earliest systems back in the '80s. Now, every single car has a 'rolling' system so that (in effect) each time you lock/unlock, the remote sends out a different signal and the car expects that unique signal. Therefore, even if somebody picked up the signal on their scanner, it would be useless as it is effectively one-time use.

I'd suggest that at some point, somebody has copied your physical key. Maybe when you left it with a car-wash, valet, garage, etc? By copying the physical key they would be able to gain access, but wouldn't be able to drive it away. Hence your stuff is gone but the car's still there.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Some thiefs got into my Mum's 2010 VW (part of Audi) and my Dad's 2009 BMW 6 series without the keys. Didn't take anything valuable but they got in because they took two small USB pens and some driving gloves! WTF.

Anyhow, there is a problem with German cars security because my pile of crap Honda alarm which I always thought was about as useful as choco tea pot, they actually couldn't get into it! I was very surprised!

But yeh, your insurance company will know there is a problem, they are just hoping you will roll over. I presume you have a crime number and the police are doing their 'best' to find your stolen property?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending