Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Making my own clothes?

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone ever had a go at making/designing some of their own clothes?

I've been looking around for maxi dresses in particular (as its nearly summer) but I can't seem to find any that fit me correctly or that are to my taste (i.e. they are either too long/ too short / too revealing/ too expensive/ don't like the pattern).

I was wondering how I would go about doing this and approx. how long it would take me. Any tips would be very useful. Thanks
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi, yes I think thats a good idea. I think perhaps you could buy a plain black( or other colour) maxi dress and perhaps sew some lace, beads etc on to it. Im not good at textiles but i can imagine how i would design mine! I would buy a long one if there are none the right length as you can take it up a little and adjust the parts where it doesn't fit you correctly

This could take not very long and if you worked hard at it a few hours max with some planning and if making a lot of changes.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished a dressmaking class last week and made a skirt Going to try and make another one the same pattern with a different material just to practice. Maybe try looking up an easy pattern online, there might be one you can follow. Do you have a sewing machine?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, have you got your own sewing machine? That's always a good start.
    Then, you can either make your own pattern (I always find it's best to get a good 'base' to use first, like a T-shirt for sizing, or something similar you found in a charity shop and cut up), finding one free online, or buying one from a shop. Find the correct type of fabric for what you're trying to make, at a half decent quality, in the style you so desire. Too much is always better than too little, you can use the scraps for other stuff. Or if you're like me, hoard it all and never end up using it...
    And of course, sew the thing. :P This can be really quick, or take you ages, depends on the complexity of the garment, if it's a maxi dress they normall have shirring I believe, which'd be a challenge if you haven't done it before. There's always the extra problems that crop up, like finding a horrible stain on that lovely white fabric left on it from the market stall, your machine messing up, or you sewing the wrong piece and having to stitch rip it. Make it slightly bigger than you expect, just in case, as you can take it in afterwards. Don't forget to hem all the edges and overlock them so it doesn't fray
    Oh, and mannequins, even adustable ones, aren't always the same actual shape as you. Don't trust something perfectly fitted on them to be perfect on you.

But after all that stressing, you're left with a (hopefully) lovely garment that's perfect for you!
    It's also addictive.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 08rbut)
    Hi, yes I think thats a good idea. I think perhaps you could buy a plain black( or other colour) maxi dress and perhaps sew some lace, beads etc on to it. Im not good at textiles but i can imagine how i would design mine! I would buy a long one if there are none the right length as you can take it up a little and adjust the parts where it doesn't fit you correctly

This could take not very long and if you worked hard at it a few hours max with some planning and if making a lot of changes.
    Hi thanks for your reply. The idea about the plain black dress sounds good- will give that a try. I might look around for other plain coloured dresses and do the same thing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Try practising basic stitches using a sewing machine. Get some scraps and sew them together using all the different tensions and stitch types.

Once you've sussed the stitching, try a very simple pattern like a plain skirt. Alternatively, your local college should have a 'dressmaking for beginners' class.

Dressmaking is fun but its not as easy as people think. I've been doing it for over 30 years (was 8 when I made my first skirt ) and I'm still learning new things.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sprockette)
    I've just finished a dressmaking class last week and made a skirt Going to try and make another one the same pattern with a different material just to practice. Maybe try looking up an easy pattern online, there might be one you can follow. Do you have a sewing machine?
    Hi thanks for you reply. I do have a sewing machine (although it hasn't been used for a very long but that can be fixed). Thing is I haven't got much experience of sewing my own garments - just done the odd bit of adjusting here and there. I'm hoping that that won't be too much of a problem.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VickyDoodle)
    Well, have you got your own sewing machine? That's always a good start.
    Then, you can either make your own pattern (I always find it's best to get a good 'base' to use first, like a T-shirt for sizing, or something similar you found in a charity shop and cut up), finding one free online, or buying one from a shop. Find the correct type of fabric for what you're trying to make, at a half decent quality, in the style you so desire. Too much is always better than too little, you can use the scraps for other stuff. Or if you're like me, hoard it all and never end up using it...
    And of course, sew the thing. :P This can be really quick, or take you ages, depends on the complexity of the garment, if it's a maxi dress they normall have shirring I believe, which'd be a challenge if you haven't done it before. There's always the extra problems that crop up, like finding a horrible stain on that lovely white fabric left on it from the market stall, your machine messing up, or you sewing the wrong piece and having to stitch rip it. Make it slightly bigger than you expect, just in case, as you can take it in afterwards. Don't forget to hem all the edges and overlock them so it doesn't fray
    Oh, and mannequins, even adustable ones, aren't always the same actual shape as you. Don't trust something perfectly fitted on them to be perfect on you.

But after all that stressing, you're left with a (hopefully) lovely garment that's perfect for you!
    It's also addictive.
    Wow that was so helpful - thanks I haven't made many garments from scratch myself but hopefully I'll be able to with a bit of practice.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by select the right name)
    Try practising basic stitches using a sewing machine. Get some scraps and sew them together using all the different tensions and stitch types.

Once you've sussed the stitching, try a very simple pattern like a plain skirt. Alternatively, your local college should have a 'dressmaking for beginners' class.

Dressmaking is fun but its not as easy as people think. I've been doing it for over 30 years (was 8 when I made my first skirt ) and I'm still learning new things.
    That sounds like a good idea I'll try and get my hands on some unwanted cloth and practice a bit before I start on the real thing.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ketchup'n'Mustard)
    too long
    Why not get them shortened by a tailor?
    Should run you at about 20.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Goodd luck.

Let us know how you go on. I decided to opt for finding genuine vintage or adapting clothes. Try not to buy much new now, but of course impossible to do that for everything.

Growing your own food is far easier and also good.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    GOODLUCK. My mum wears everything she makes, she's a fab tailor. :love:
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    My mum makes clothes for me :sogood:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 28, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.