The Student Room Group

Steps to become a police officer

Hello,

I need some help on how to become a police officer, I'll be 18 in May and want to enrol myself into this sector of work.

Can anyone give me any advice please?
Reply 1
Original post by NishaaaR
Hello,

I need some help on how to become a police officer, I'll be 18 in May and want to enrol myself into this sector of work.

The Police in the UK generally aren't recruiting new officers right now. Certain forces like the Met recruit exclusively from their PCSOs and Special Constables.
Reply 2
Original post by JohnC2211
The Police in the UK generally aren't recruiting new officers right now. Certain forces like the Met recruit exclusively from their PCSOs and Special Constables.

So, do you think I should apply for a Special Constable?
Reply 3
So, do you think I should apply for a Special Constable?

It really would depend on a number of factors. The service you're looking at joining, etc. Obviously Specials are volunteers do they don't get paid. PCSOs do get paid. However Specials have the full powers of a police constable, and in London they get quite a few nice benefits (free public transport etc).

It's also a good way of ascertaining whether or not the life of a police officer is one for you or not.

I think the minimum amount of hours you do as a Special is 16 per month? I'm not entirely certain on that though and it may differ from service to service.
Hello,

You might also want to post any questions you have on Police Oracle. I believe it it used by many serving officers across the UK. I've seen threads asking questions about recruitment begun by potential applicant. They mostly appear in the forum sections "General Discussion" or "Police Jobs & Recruitment"
:yes:

The Home Office also have a site dedicated to police recruitment.
Police Recruitment

Good luck!

:smile:
Reply 5
It really would depend on a number of factors. The service you're looking at joining, etc. Obviously Specials are volunteers do they don't get paid. PCSOs do get paid. However Specials have the full powers of a police constable, and in London they get quite a few nice benefits (free public transport etc).

It's also a good way of ascertaining whether or not the life of a police officer is one for you or not.

I think the minimum amount of hours you do as a Special is 16 per month? I'm not entirely certain on that though and it may differ from service to service.

Thank you :smile:

I think I'll apply to become a Special Constable for a while, then hopefully get recruited to be a full-time PO.
Reply 6
Original post by los lobos marinos
You might also want to post any questions you have on Police Oracle. I believe it it used by many serving officers across the UK. I've seen threads asking questions about recruitment begun by potential applicant. They mostly appear in the forum sections "General Discussion" or "Police Jobs & Recruitment"
:yes:

The Home Office also have a site dedicated to police recruitment.
Police Recruitment

Good luck!

:smile:

Yup, sadly true :frown:

You are welcome!

Here is an example with Thames Valley Police of how the recruitment process may currently work. Obviously, every force is different and this is just to give you an idea
Thames Valley Police
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ugk4life
don't become a pig.
:confused:

So I guess if you or your family were involved, god forbid, in a major road traffic accident, you wouldn't want attending officers to apply their training and expertise in saving your lives...Police are often the first of the emergency services to arrive on scene.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by ugk4life
don't become a pig.

Why don't you go run through London with a table leg in a bag hey?
NishaaaR,
Just wanted to reiterate what some of the other guys have said on this thread and try and point you towards some useful resources. If you are keen on becoming a police officer, I would 100% say that you need to join the Specials. The Met have an official procedure now where they take their new regular recruits direct from Specials and PCSOs and other forces are adopting a similar process (TVP for example). Other forces haven't 'officially' adopted this procedure but it looks like that is the way to go.

The Specials really is the route in now. Some people have mentioned becoming a PCSO as well. This would be a good idea but I have heard that the transfer procedure isn't quite as smooth as if you were a Special. There are a limited number of forces who have given positive recruitment statements recently, West Yorkshire and Suffolk are the main two but with the budget cuts in place, it makes sense for them to take regulars from the Specials they already have: they are already trained to a high level and have a wealth of experience.

Everything JohnC2211 says is true, its a great way to find out if it is the career for you and I can confirm the monthly commitment is 16 hours.

As I say, if you are keen on becoming a Police Officer, joining the Specials would be the best thing you can do. In addition to Police Oracle as mentioned above, PoliceSpecials.com is a more active forum and there are plenty of people on there (myself included) who would be willing to give you advice and answer any questions you may have.

My advice in a nutshell: seriously consider the Specials and get over to PoliceSpecials.com for any answers to your questions,

Hope this helps and let us know how you get on.
1) Throw away all sense of morality
2) Train hard so you can hit unarmed minors with batons at maximum efficiency
3) Play strategical video games so that you are well-prepared to implement kettling tactics
4) Read up on various offensive weapons you will need to possess in the near future, such as batons, rubber bullets, water cannons and tear gas.
5) Wonder what exactly happened to your life.
Reply 12
Thank you so much!

I'll be applying for Specials when I turn 18, in like a month. Oh, and I'm based in London just to let you know.

Original post by TheOldBill0
NishaaaR,
Just wanted to reiterate what some of the other guys have said on this thread and try and point you towards some useful resources. If you are keen on becoming a police officer, I would 100% say that you need to join the Specials. The Met have an official procedure now where they take their new regular recruits direct from Specials and PCSOs and other forces are adopting a similar process (TVP for example). Other forces haven't 'officially' adopted this procedure but it looks like that is the way to go.

The Specials really is the route in now. Some people have mentioned becoming a PCSO as well. This would be a good idea but I have heard that the transfer procedure isn't quite as smooth as if you were a Special. There are a limited number of forces who have given positive recruitment statements recently, West Yorkshire and Suffolk are the main two but with the budget cuts in place, it makes sense for them to take regulars from the Specials they already have: they are already trained to a high level and have a wealth of experience.

Everything JohnC2211 says is true, its a great way to find out if it is the career for you and I can confirm the monthly commitment is 16 hours.

As I say, if you are keen on becoming a Police Officer, joining the Specials would be the best thing you can do. In addition to Police Oracle as mentioned above, PoliceSpecials.com is a more active forum and there are plenty of people on there (myself included) who would be willing to give you advice and answer any questions you may have.

My advice in a nutshell: seriously consider the Specials and get over to PoliceSpecials.com for any answers to your questions,

Hope this helps and let us know how you get on.

I'll definitely use this advice, I have experience with different weapons (swords, spears, sticks, etc) and yes if CoD counts as strategic, I've played it once in a while. :wink: :P

Original post by CLS94
1) Throw away all sense of morality
2) Train hard so you can hit unarmed minors with batons at maximum efficiency
3) Play strategical video games so that you are well-prepared to implement kettling tactics
4) Read up on various offensive weapons you will need to possess in the near future, such as batons, rubber bullets, water cannons and tear gas.
5) Wonder what exactly happened to your life.
Thank you so much!

I'll be applying for Specials when I turn 18, in like a month. Oh, and I'm based in London just to let you know.
Pretty sure you can apply now. The recruitment process is fairly lengthy and will take longer than a month.

It may be worth you going to university whilst you wait as it's going to be a few years before the backlog of previously successful but "on-hold" applicants, specials and PCSO's with craploads more experience and so on get through. If you go into full-time employment then take into consideration that there are a number of roles that would be considered a "conflict of interest" and exclude you from being a special.
Reply 14
Original post by Llamageddon
Pretty sure you can apply now. The recruitment process is fairly lengthy and will take longer than a month.

It may be worth you going to university whilst you wait as it's going to be a few years before the backlog of previously successful but "on-hold" applicants, specials and PCSO's with craploads more experience and so on get through. If you go into full-time employment then take into consideration that there are a number of roles that would be considered a "conflict of interest" and exclude you from being a special.

Thank you, yeah, I'm hopefully going to go to university this year... and my course is sort of related to this field anyway, so it would benefit me. :smile:
Reply 15
[
x

I think you should apply for the Special Constabulary. The Special Constables is a great way to get experience. Police Recruitment for Specials and Regulars has frozen in most parts of the UK. As far as I know very little are open for Specials and none are open for Regulars.

As a special constable you have all the regular powers and uniform as a police officer. I know the Metropolitan Police (my force) still recruits regular officers but only from PCSOs and Special Constables. But if you're a Special... you need to be IPS before you can apply for selection from the pool. IPS basically means Independent Patrol Status.... you achieve this when you have expereinced different scenarios and have signed everything off whilst working on division.

It's advisable to bolster your application to the specials by signing up to be a Police Volunteer. The whole selection process for specials takes an extremely long time and its good to get some experience. Again all forces offer this and they are still always on the look out for volunteers. Seeing as you are under 19..... it may also help to consider the Metropolitan Police Volunteer Police Cadets (if youre in London) or your local force cadets programme if you arent in the Metropolitan Police District.

I am currently a Police Cadet with the Met and applying for the Specials. I am also applying to be a Met Volunteer.

I am in a rush so any questions feel free to quote or PM me. I may also swoop in here later and post more stuff that comes to mind.

Oh and Im not yet 18 and im applying :wink: It's fine :smile: .... But check with recruitment
Reply 16
Original post by Llamageddon

Applied a while ago. Still in the paper sift *yawn*
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
Applied a while ago. Still in the paper sift *yawn*
Took me 4 months and I've already graduated.

A chunk of that was down to previous employers not bothering to give references.
Reply 18
I'm a serving Detective and it does seem that a lot of forces are now looking to restart some recruitment although not all.

The general theme seems to be that internal applicants (Police staff, PCSOs and Specials) are going to at least have some advantage in the process. I would suggest that going to uni and doing some work as a Special is the way forward unless you are absolutely certain it's for you already.

I would also always bear in mind the massive changes in Police pay and conditions being introduced at the moment so all the information you see about pay scales, pensions, terms of service etc will probably not be what you face when you join!
Original post by emb45
The general theme seems to be that internal applicants (Police staff, PCSOs and Specials) are going to at least have some advantage in the process. I would suggest that going to uni and doing some work as a Special is the way forward unless you are absolutely certain it's for you already.
This really does require you to either go to university where your parents live or stay living out during summer months, but if that description fits the person involved then it's a great idea and the expenses/ benefits of a warrant card (free train travel!) more than make up for money lost if you then don't have time to work part-time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending