The Student Room Group

Tips for the upcoming Sixth form (current year 11s)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by pink pineapple
don't take 4 essay subjects- it will drive you crazy
Ask teachers if you don't understand something, it's better to do that rather than come to exam time and have no idea because you were to embarrased to ask

What do you prefer out of history and politics?
Original post by Miracle Day
I thought this would benefit many people who have finished their GCSE's and will be moving on to AS Levels in September. I found these tips and thought they'd help you guys.

If anyone has any other tips I'll add them, feel free to take a look at every post because some give advice on things like what subjects to avoid and to encourage you on how revision is key etc.

Here they are..

Spoiler

Try to do the best in your AS january modules, as you really don't wanna re-sit. It's nothing like GCSE, where you can just pick up a revision guide a day before the exam, read it, and get an A or A*.
Original post by non
What do you prefer out of history and politics?

That's a hard question as I enjoy both of them but history generally speaking is much more interesting :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by (:Becca(:
So I notice you're applying for German. Here at Leeds we have an awesome German department. Not that I'm trying to plug my own uni or anything, but just saying :tongue:

Haha! I've heard that from a teacher who went there too... what sort of modules do you have there?

Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
What makes it hard, in your opinion? Is it manageable? Which three languages do you study?

It's just the sheer amount of work that you have to do in a small amount of time. I do French, German and Italian (which I started from scratch in September, did GCSE in the other two). For these I have many essays, grammar sheets, an appointment with the speaking assistant every week for which I have to prepare both a card with questions and spontaneous questions, and then there's the general topical work and booklets, textbook work, memorising so much vocab etc. I wouldn't say it's difficult, because I don't find languages difficult at all, just time consuming. Bearing in mind that I do 5 subjects, I literally have no frees at all in which to do any of my multitudes of homework. It's manageable if you work well under pressure - for example I did my French essay this week the lunchtime before it was due in and somehow managed to get my best grade yet :lol: Because I want to study French and German at university, I have extra literature sessions twice a week at lunchtime and there's a compulsory extra Italian session to work on past papers once a week at lunchtime too. So yeah, don't do it if you want free time. :tongue:
Original post by Etoile
Haha! I've heard that from a teacher who went there too... what sort of modules do you have there?

It's just the sheer amount of work that you have to do in a small amount of time. I do French, German and Italian (which I started from scratch in September, did GCSE in the other two). For these I have many essays, grammar sheets, an appointment with the speaking assistant every week for which I have to prepare both a card with questions and spontaneous questions, and then there's the general topical work and booklets, textbook work, memorising so much vocab etc. I wouldn't say it's difficult, because I don't find languages difficult at all, just time consuming. Bearing in mind that I do 5 subjects, I literally have no frees at all in which to do any of my multitudes of homework. It's manageable if you work well under pressure - for example I did my French essay this week the lunchtime before it was due in and somehow managed to get my best grade yet :lol: Because I want to study French and German at university, I have extra literature sessions twice a week at lunchtime and there's a compulsory extra Italian session to work on past papers once a week at lunchtime too. So yeah, don't do it if you want free time. :tongue:

Gosh that does sound awfully busy, but you must enjoy it? What wonderful A levels to study. Perhaps languages more so than others represent immediate benefits outside the classroom learning; being able to converse with people from different countries. Fabulous! Keep at it and I am sure the rewards will be magnificent. :smile:
Reply 45
Gosh that does sound awfully busy, but you must enjoy it? What wonderful A levels to study. Perhaps languages more so than others represent immediate benefits outside the classroom learning; being able to converse with people from different countries. Fabulous! Keep at it and I am sure the rewards will be magnificent. :smile:

There's nothing I'd enjoy more :biggrin: Today I had German literature all lunchtime (Brecht :heart:), followed by French then German and the grin on my face was just ridiculous. I honestly cannot wait to be able to spend ALL my time doing it! :h: That too- although I don't have the funds to go abroad as of yet, I enjoy conversing with my pen pal, foreign relatives, and various people on here. Call me biased, but languages are the best subjects imo :tongue: do you study any?
Original post by Etoile
There's nothing I'd enjoy more :biggrin: Today I had German literature all lunchtime (Brecht :heart:), followed by French then German and the grin on my face was just ridiculous. I honestly cannot wait to be able to spend ALL my time doing it! :h: That too- although I don't have the funds to go abroad as of yet, I enjoy conversing with my pen pal, foreign relatives, and various people on here. Call me biased, but languages are the best subjects imo :tongue: do you study any?

No I have just returned to education at age 24; I am currently studying my GCSE's in Science & Maths. I've chosen science and Maths A levels for now but in order to keep my options open in case I change my mind, I've set myself the task of teaching myself French, German and Spanish upto at least GCSE level from now until September, so I could enrol on the A Level course if I so wish. So, I might perhaps be studying one yet, I'm remaining open minded. :wink:
Original post by Etoile

Well, I'm not sure about later years, but if you're joint honours you have a choice between Introduction to Modern Germany (history from unification-present) or Approaching German Culture (literature/film/that kind of thing). You can take both because you can pick one as an elective. As far as I'm aware in the later years you have the same choice of history/film/literature and there's a few translation modules as well. I heard there was a German for business module as well, it's a big department so there's a fair few different things on offer. It's definitely worth applying to. :biggrin:
Reply 48
No I have just returned to education at age 24; I am currently studying my GCSE's in Science & Maths. I've chosen science and Maths A levels for now but in order to keep my options open in case I change my mind, I've set myself the task of teaching myself French, German and Spanish upto at least GCSE level from now until September, so I could enrol on the A Level course if I so wish. So, I might perhaps be studying one yet, I'm remaining open minded. :wink:

Oh wow, I really admire people who go back to education so much because it's such a commitment! :biggrin: Nice choices :wink:

Original post by (:Becca(:
Well, I'm not sure about later years, but if you're joint honours you have a choice between Introduction to Modern Germany (history from unification-present) or Approaching German Culture (literature/film/that kind of thing). You can take both because you can pick one as an elective. As far as I'm aware in the later years you have the same choice of history/film/literature and there's a few translation modules as well. I heard there was a German for business module as well, it's a big department so there's a fair few different things on offer. It's definitely worth applying to. :biggrin:

Oooh sounds good! I have ordered a prospectus :biggrin:

Original post by FIRDAUSxo
:eek: Oh my life! I thought Spanish GCSE was stressful,,, but there's you doing 3 languages at A Level!! :gasp:
I personally think French is hard as !!!! with all the accents and stuff...and I've always wanted to learn German, it sounds fun. :]
But you enjoy them and as someone else said, there are many benefits of knowing those languages and they'll get you to a lot of places :gthumb:.
What other 2 subjects do you study?

:lol:
When I tell people what subjects I am doing their reaction is generally like :lolwut: :wtf: I do maths and English literature as well. English is currently the bane of my life. I hate coursework. >.<
German is very fun! I think it's harder than French though because of more complex grammar but it's very worthwhile of course :biggrin:
Original post by Etoile
Oh wow, I really admire people who go back to education so much because it's such a commitment! :biggrin: Nice choices :wink:

Thank you, you are kind. :smile: Even though I know it seems very far away right now and I have my exams to do yet; I can not wait to study A Levels. I never, ever thought I would study A levels and I will be ridiculously excited to begin studying them in September. :biggrin:
Original post by Etoile

Sorry just another question if I may. What is the speaking capability like of AS Level language students? I really have no idea what to expect in September as the last time I was a student in a language class was 2004. I have this thought in my mind of turning up and drowning in a sea of incomprehension as people around me speak French or German like natives and all I can do is tell them how big my house is or what my hobbies are. :redface:
Reply 51
Sorry just another question if I may. What is the speaking capability like of AS Level language students? I really have no idea what to expect in September as the last time I was a student in a language class was 2004. I have this thought in my mind of turning up and drowning in a sea of incomprehension as people around me speak French or German like natives and all I can do is tell them how big my house is or what my hobbies are. :redface:

Definitely not near native! In my German class some people still forget to send the verb to the end after weil and in French they pronounce the -ent on the end of verbs such as ils jouent. I really do despair sometimes :lol:
Reply 52
Original post by FIRDAUSxo
Maths :lolwut: AND English lit.?! Wow, you are an actual genius, I'm not even joking.
If I were ever in your shoes, I'd probably be the most miserable person known to man haha. But seriously man, universities are gonna be fighting over you. :biggrin:
German's harder than French? Oh man, that's almost put me off haha :frown:
Anyways, good luck with your 5 'social life depriving' subjects and exams in them. :smile:

Aha I'm not but thank you :lol:
Hence my advice to not take the same subjects as me. :tongue:
A lot of people seem to struggle with the case system, but if you have a logical brain then you'll be fine :smile: I would still definitely recommend it! I love German so much :lol:
Thank you! Good luck with your GCSEs too :smile:
Reply 53
Work in all free periods, do all homework, do not get behind (or miss lessons!) and try to revise as you go along!
If you do edexcel chemistry, the cgp will be your best friend as the text book is rubbish and overcomplicates everything. I got an a in unit 1 using the revision guide and a c in unit 2 using the book :/

Also, don't panic if you mess up Jan exams at as, most people get lower than expected! Just knuckle down and resit. If you have to resit, consider whether it's better to do then in summer or Jan of a2. You don't want to overload yourself and you don't have to declare as grades on ucas.
Start researching unis early! You don't want to be still thinkin about it a week before the dead line!

Oh, and remember to give yourself a break too!
A level modules are a lot like a game, in the sense that, if you come out with 90% in one, and you think you can get 100% - you should resit it.
Reply 56
Do your work as soon as you get it, and that goes for coursework too. If you've got a week to do something, do it that day or the next, not the night before it's due in. It stops you stressing out too much and therefore doing poor work, it gives you more free time and puts you in good habits for the future.
Oh yeah and try and do really well in your AS modules and the early A2 ones. It takes the pressure off loads .And don't rely on resits! Saying things like 'I don't care about this exam I'm just going to resit it' is the sign of a lazy and irresponsible student.
(edited 12 years ago)
Be a wise student, A Levels are like huge extensions of GCSEs so get online, find your exam board, download the syllabus and make sure you know 100% what could come up in the exam and what they are testing.

Sounds awful but there is an awful lot of hoop-jumping in GCSEs/A Levels so you should use that to your advantage.

Best thing I did was read examiners reports on previous examinations. Yes, they're boring as hell but they give LOADS of tips on where former candidates have gone wrong.
Reply 58
Bump
Reply 59
Bump :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending