The Student Room Group

Tips for the upcoming Sixth form (current year 11s)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Bump for everyone
Reply 61
I agree with all your points. However, I'm completely disorganised and forgetful. Always losing sheets and forgetting dates. Almost didn't turn up for my Spanish oral because I had the wrong date (always check with your teacher!) :facepalm:

Still managed to get A*AA, but that's because I do work hard :tongue:
Reply 62
Don't burn yourself out in the first few months. Quite a few people I know worked in every single one of their frees inc. lunch and for 2/3 hours after college every day at the beginning, and got so fed up with it all they've just done a lot worse than those who have kept going at a steady pace throughout the year.

Do all homework and revise for all tests no matter how stupid or small they may be, it gives you an idea of your weaker areas and what you need to work on more.
Reply 63
Time management. Absolutely essential, that you leave plenty of time for doing all your work, going through notes and preparing well in advance for the exam.

Please don't try and get too distracted with general sixth form life, there is quite a lot going on; but its only two years, and it'll fly by. I learnt this far too late :tongue:

Most of all, be organised and also leave time for yourself to relax. Don't overwork yourself :smile:

Good luck!
dont waste all your frees, some could be used for work! dont get too distracted by deal or no deal :/
OP, the person may want to study more than four subjects for personal interest. For one of my five A levels, I did have massive support from my mother and with her strict standards, she got me an A. It was actually something which she could teach me and it was my lifetime goal to improve my Russian, since I never got to learn it as a child. I also loved learning Russia's history and culture. (for a2, I did need additional tuition from a teacher because of the partial preparing the debate and literature study)

Also, look at your opportunities. Are any of your family members experts at Math? Have you taken a foreign language GCSE with the help of your parents/relatives/carers? I'm not saying take every opportunity available - if I did, I would've taken seven A Levels! :redface:
But consider that when you consider your subject choices.

Tldr - never take more than four A Levels is a big myth. If you're genuinely interested in all your choices and are prepared to work hard and smart, then go ahead. But it's not going to give you any uni advantage, except the spreading the risk (you can afford to mess up one or two subjects and still meet the offer) and even that doesn't apply to all unis. You could get an offer based on three of your most relevant subjects or even worse, an offer based on all your subjects. It varies between institutions and even between Oxbridge colleges.

And make your uni choices wisely when it comes to next year, even if you're only taking three subjects. Have one/two ambitious choices and the rest with lower offers. If you do that, then you wouldn't have to worry about the above scenario as such.
Original post by Miracle Day
I thought this would benefit many people who have finished their GCSE's and will be moving on to AS Levels in September. I found these tips and thought they'd help you guys.

If anyone has any other tips I'll add them, feel free to take a look at every post because some give advice on things like what subjects to avoid and to encourage you on how revision is key etc.

Here they are..

Spoiler

Thanks a bunch for these! It'll help so much!! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
About how many hours outside of lessons do I need to put in per subject?
Reply 68
Original post by FemaleEinstein
About how many hours outside of lessons do I need to put in per subject?

Obviously different people will need different ammount of hours. I chose not to do additional hours but make up for it compiling notes to revise from 2 weeks before the month before my exams in which I was going to revise :smile:
Reply 69
Don't wear sweatpants, you're not a cool guy with a six-pack and you look like a tramp with no self motivation to learn or get dressed in the morning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending