The Student Room Group

Tips for the upcoming Sixth form (current year 11s)

I thought this would benefit many people who have finished their GCSE's and will be moving on to AS Levels in September. I found these tips and thought they'd help you guys.

If anyone has any other tips I'll add them, feel free to take a look at every post because some give advice on things like what subjects to avoid and to encourage you on how revision is key etc.

Here they are..

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
don't spend too much time on tsr
revise for your exams because even if u think u have done well when you come out of them that might not actually turn out to be true.
Reply 2
Excellent advice!

I'd say the sooner you get to be self starting and independent the easier the transition will be.

I think you also need to be honest and open; if you're bright it may be the first time you "Can't do it" or struggle with new learning. Make sure you ask for additional guidance to overcome these hurdles - that's what the strong A-level students do not the weaker ones.
Reply 3
Work in ALL your frees. And yes, I mean ALL. Trust me, it's easier this way, honest :biggrin:
Reply 4
Notes are your new best friend. If you miss a lesson catch up on the notes and expand on them from as many textbooks as possible, especially if your teacher doesn't seem to explain things too well. You can't get away with it like during GCSEs :l
Reply 5
From my experience. Don't do an art subject unless you are sure you want to do it at uni because everyone I know and took one and doesn't want to take it at uni hates the subject and it takes up valuable revision time :wink:
Reply 6
when you don't understand something, don't think 'oh i'll just revise it and get it before exams'
go find your teacher and sort it out - makes exams so much easier!
Reply 7
Original post by em807
Work in ALL your frees. And yes, I mean ALL. Trust me, it's easier this way, honest :biggrin:

Nah, You need breaks. I would have be insane if I did this.

Original post by JordanS94
From my experience. Don't do an art subject unless you are sure you want to do it at uni because everyone I know and took one and doesn't want to take it at uni hates the subject and it takes up valuable revision time :wink:

Are you referring to non sciencey subjects? If so nobody take this guys advice. Do what you enjoy, and what you want to do in the future.
Reply 8
The teacher may or may not know what will help you pass an exam. The past papers and mark schemes definitely do know. If you just want to pass your exams, just practice doing them. If you want to actually learn something, well, I don't know. I haven't learnt very much in sixth form.
Reply 9
Original post by Miracle Day
Nah, You need breaks. I would have be insane if I did this.

It's good to have a break but this way you do get evenings and weekends off, except for the occasional essay or coursework piece... :smile:
If you don't get something do you just ask out in the middle of the lesson, or would you stay behind after school?
Reply 11
Also, work hard in AS and put effort into coursework. This means that when you get to A2, you may not need to get an A in this exam to get an A overall. Makes life easier :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
If you don't get something do you just ask out in the middle of the lesson, or would you stay behind after school?

I speak to teachers at the end of the lesson, especially if I'm struggling with stuff everyone else seems to understand. If you're finding something really hard, ask if you can arrange a half hour with your teacher outside of lessons (they have frees too) to go and work through it with them. All my teachers have been more than happy to help in this way :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by multiplexing-gamer

If it's a proper 'I don't know what the hell we've just covered' moment, then stay behind or go back at lunch or in a free to sort it, and they should explain it properly or in a different way so you understand it. But if it's a little question just go for it. But that being said, there's a guy in some of my lessons who asks a question a minute and confuses everyone else by coming to random misunderstood conclusions :banghead:
Original post by Miracle Day

Are you referring to non sciencey subjects? If so nobody take this guys advice. Do what you enjoy, and what you want to do in the future.

No I just mean Art and Textiles stuff because the amount you need to do interferes with your other subjects. I would only recommend it if you really want to do it.
Example this January I had 3 exams 1 on Friday 1 on the Monday and 1 on the Wednesday and my deadline for my coursework was on the Tuesday. Which interfered with my revision for the Wednesday Exam and got lower than expected.
Plus all I can think about is that subject because it has so much work.
Reply 15
WORK HARD AT AS!

My AS scores were good enough that to get AAA this year I have to get BBC in the summer. Put in the work early and you leave yourself margin for error in A2 :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by JordanS94
No I just mean Art and Textiles stuff because the amount you need to do interferes with your other subjects. I would only recommend it if you really want to do it.
Example this January I had 3 exams 1 on Friday 1 on the Monday and 1 on the Wednesday and my deadline for my coursework was on the Tuesday. Which interfered with my revision for the Wednesday Exam and got lower than expected.
Plus all I can think about is that subject because it has so much work.

Yes Agreed. haha
Reply 17
Thanks for this advise am more stressd about getting my coursework out of the way so that i can revise for the 15 exams comig in less then 1.5 months to come! thanks i will defo look at this agian when i finish school thanks again.

p.s i thumbd u!
It's harder than GCSE.
It gets boring.
Bleh
Reply 19
Work at AS. A2 is a LOT harder.

Quick Reply