The Student Room Group

Nuffield science bursary 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
You get £80 every week and then the last £80 after submitting you're report!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Well I get paid a similar scheme to you (perhaps it's different for the poster above). But after the first week, you email them and you get half the bursary. And once you hand in your project + feedback form, you get the other half :smile:
Hello :smile:

I'm doing mine for 4 weeks from 16th, although I am trying to get it extended. I am doing it in critical care and pre operative assessment clinic :love:

Anyone else doing a medicine/biomedicine?
Reply 63
Original post by AspiringGenius
Hello :smile:

I'm doing mine for 4 weeks from 16th, although I am trying to get it extended. I am doing it in critical care and pre operative assessment clinic :love:

Anyone else doing a medicine/biomedicine?

How did you get one in medicine? I don't think anyone in my area managed this year, they don't have any placements :-( Really frustrating.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5570
Original post by Xiomara
How did you get one in medicine? I don't think anyone in my area managed this year, they don't have any placements :-( Really frustrating.

I suppose I was lucky, quite a few people were disapoited in my area. My project is based around an audit of all the patients who went into the pre-clinical assessment clinic prior to their surgery in the last two years. I have ti put all their details into a database, including how their surgery went and any significant medical circumstances since.

My supervisors are trying to get me into watching an operation :love: they're both anaesthetists. :biggrin:
Reply 65
I suppose I was lucky, quite a few people were disapoited in my area. My project is based around an audit of all the patients who went into the pre-clinical assessment clinic prior to their surgery in the last two years. I have ti put all their details into a database, including how their surgery went and any significant medical circumstances since.

My supervisors are trying to get me into watching an operation :love: they're both anaesthetists. :biggrin:

Very lucky indeed! That actually sounds relevant (not to mention interesting).
I finally got contacted today, my coordinators are trying to send me to a zoo 3 hours away. Erm...
Original post by Xiomara
Very lucky indeed! That actually sounds relevant (not to mention interesting).
I finally got contacted today, my coordinators are trying to send me to a zoo 3 hours away. Erm...

Ouch :frown: The hospital I'm in is an hour and a half by train, but 3 seems excessive. That's 6 hours of travelling a day!
Reply 67
Ouch :frown: The hospital I'm in is an hour and a half by train, but 3 seems excessive. That's 6 hours of travelling a day!

I know right :frown: Get to train station (40 minutes if I walk but I guess I could get a lift) then take one train, then another train, then a bus, then walk to destination. I wouldn't mind if the placement was going to be mind blowingly awesome, but I don't want to become a vet and the placement isn't much to do with biomedical science or even human biology, which were the choices I put down :L
Original post by Xiomara
I know right :frown: Get to train station (40 minutes if I walk but I guess I could get a lift) then take one train, then another train, then a bus, then walk to destination. I wouldn't mind if the placement was going to be mind blowingly awesome, but I don't want to become a vet and the placement isn't much to do with biomedical science or even human biology, which were the choices I put down :L

It's so easy to just say do it, but in reality that's too impractical to keep uo for four weeks. Write and ask for a more local placement, or else you can't be expected to attually complete that. :-/
Reply 69
It's so easy to just say do it, but in reality that's too impractical to keep uo for four weeks. Write and ask for a more local placement, or else you can't be expected to attually complete that. :-/

I don't think they'll be able to find me one, they've been complaining that it's hard to find bioscience placements this year and they've left it this late already :frown: Tempted to be really cheeky and ask them to pay for accomodation near the site if they actually want me to go there :P Even then, it'd have f all to do with medicine.
Original post by Xiomara
I don't think they'll be able to find me one, they've been complaining that it's hard to find bioscience placements this year and they've left it this late already :frown: Tempted to be really cheeky and ask them to pay for accomodation near the site if they actually want me to go there :P Even then, it'd have f all to do with medicine.

Hmmm... I'm thinking would the £320 cover accommodation?

It's awfully tricky. My instinct would be to just tell them you can't do it if you really have no interest in vet med. I'm sure it would be interesting, but they haven't made it easy for you to take this project on. If the bursary was £500 then I think yiu should do it.

Contact them and see what they say. They might be able to make arrangements, they can't seriously expect you to spend six hours travelling a day. :smile:
Reply 71
Hmmm... I'm thinking would the £320 cover accommodation?

It's awfully tricky. My instinct would be to just tell them you can't do it if you really have no interest in vet med. I'm sure it would be interesting, but they haven't made it easy for you to take this project on. If the bursary was £500 then I think yiu should do it.

Contact them and see what they say. They might be able to make arrangements, they can't seriously expect you to spend six hours travelling a day. :smile:

They rang today, I rejected it but they gave me the last one in Physics. It's a lot more local, just as boring as hell and nothing to do with medicine. :erm:

Original post by Xiomara
They rang today, I rejected it but they gave me the last one in Physics. It's a lot more local, just as boring as hell and nothing to do with medicine. :erm:

I know it sounds dull, but you might enjoy it. If you haven't got anything else to do why not? I know it's not medicine based, but would you be doing anything medical anyway?

Give it a shot, you've not a lot to lose and £320 to gain :smile:
Reply 73
Original post by Xiomara

Whats it based on? :smile: It would still show how you can work independently and have commitment etc... :smile:
Reply 74
Anyone understand how to get the CREST thingy?

Reply 75
neither have i........ hmmm !
Doubt it really matters, just make sure its an acceptable standard lol..
Original post by Thatguy1
Anyone understand how to get the CREST thingy?

To get a CREST award you should have been filling in the CREST award profile with your supervisor each week; and keeping a logbook as evidence of your bursary. Submit those pieces of paperwork to your Nuffield coordinator along with a hard copy of your report and the appropriate fee for the level you're applying for (bronze, silver or gold). The CREST award assessors will then decide whether your report qualifies for an award or not. :smile:
That's good ! You were supposed to fill in the profile on a weekly basis with your supervisor, but I guess it doesn't matter as long as you fill it ! :biggrin: and yes, your Nuffield report can act as your CREST award report.
I've completed my report; and it was 19 pages including the appendices.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending