Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat

SC Benfica v Chelsea Match Thread

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    Really poor from Chelsea. Benfica, had they taken their chances over the two legs, should have been the team going into the semis.

If that Benfica player had slotted a pass through to a colleague, rather than gone for the shot, in the last few minutes, Benfica would have gone through.

Kalou was piss-poor, laughably bad. Torres had a bit of a stinker too.

Play like that and Chelsea will get a proper mullering against Barca. Apply some lube to the arse, lads.
    You realised even if benfica had scored one more it would have been 3-2? You also seem to forget what ramires missed. Remember, We beat the team that stopped Man u from progressing. We beat the team that stopped city from progressing. We got further than milan did, who beat arsenal. Therefore, it is pretty safe to conclude that this chelsea side is the best england has to offer this season in europe.

I reckon the game against barca will be close. We will prolly play with 11 in defence at camp nou, and then try and steal it at the bridge.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    What team do you support, out of interest, and why do you say that about Yannick??

Benfica blew it tonight and that particular pass should have been made.
    I am a Porto fan.

And it's because i'm currently in my 6th season of watching Yannick and he's ****ing useless!!

To be fair to Benfica, considering their make-shift defence and then down to 10, they played alright. When the team news came out with Luisao injured meaning Emerson and Javi would be CBs i kinda gave them no hope. Back to the league for them and against Sporting on Monday. I think JJ gave up hope and although Cardozo had a poor game, i think he had that Sporting game in-sight and why he subbed him so early and also why he took Gaitan off early too.

Jorge Jesus: "I may be wrong but I believe Chelsea have no chance against Barcelona. What hurts me is that we've knocked out better teams than this Chelsea. That's what leaves me with a certain sense of revolt." Oh JJ!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Typical Chelsea, diving for penalties. Barcelona will decimate Chelsea.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by USB)
    ?

Regarding the match, yes we were pretty ****e, but there isn't a team in the world that can outplay Barcelona over two legs - we need to grind something out like we did today.

Oh and karma needs to hurry the **** up. :mad:
    Yeah, I think that if we beat them, we will win the champions league. It's weird that we're the only team in the CL who hasn't won it yet. Although I reckon we need a giant slice of luck or someone to basically one man team us. I wish we'd bought steven gerrard.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Yeah, I think that if we beat them, we will win the champions league. It's weird that we're the only team in the CL who hasn't won it yet. Although I reckon we need a giant slice of luck or someone to basically one man team us. I wish we'd bought steven gerrard.
    yeah, then torres + gerrard would alternate between drogba + lamps

... cause none of them can play together
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lubus)
    I reckon the game against barca will be close. We will prolly play with 11 in defence at camp nou, and then try and steal it at the bridge.
    First leg is at the Bridge.
    (Original post by ra-ra-ra)
    Jorge Jesus: "I may be wrong but I believe Chelsea have no chance against Barcelona. What hurts me is that we've knocked out better teams than this Chelsea. That's what leaves me with a certain sense of revolt." Oh JJ!
    Ouch...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lubus)
    You realised even if benfica had scored one more it would have been 3-2? You also seem to forget what ramires missed. Remember, We beat the team that stopped Man u from progressing. We beat the team that stopped city from progressing. We got further than milan did, who beat arsenal. Therefore, it is pretty safe to conclude that this chelsea side is the best england has to offer this season in europe.

Benfica had a glittering chance BEFORE Chelsea scored on the counter-attack to make it 3-1. Seem to be forgetting this, don't you?

You'll get hammered by Barca. Just like United have been hammered by them in recent seasons, just like Real Madrid have, just like everyone has. Chelsea are no different.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am a Porto fan.

And it's because i'm currently in my 6th season of watching Yannick and he's ****ing useless!!

To be fair to Benfica, considering their make-shift defence and then down to 10, they played alright. When the team news came out with Luisao injured meaning Emerson and Javi would be CBs i kinda gave them no hope. Back to the league for them and against Sporting on Monday. I think JJ gave up hope and although Cardozo had a poor game, i think he had that Sporting game in-sight and why he subbed him so early and also why he took Gaitan off early too.

Ah man, this is funny. It's true. I can't believe we won that match, now for the game against barca. I think we'll give barca their hardest game this season. Before anyone says chelsea are crap, man united have been doing this for years in the league.

(Original post by Sgany)
    Typical Chelsea, diving for penalties. Barcelona will decimate Chelsea.
    Stfu hater. Clear penalty.

Benfica had a glittering chance BEFORE Chelsea scored on the counter-attack to make it 3-1. Seem to be forgetting this, don't you?

You'll get hammered by Barca. Just like United have been hammered by them in recent seasons, just like Real Madrid have, just like INTER has. Chelsea are no different.
    I'm surprised you haven't gagged on messi's dick yet. Anything can happen in football.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Really poor from Chelsea. Benfica, had they taken their chances over the two legs, should have been the team going into the semis.

If that Benfica player had slotted a pass through to a colleague, rather than gone for the shot, in the last few minutes, Benfica would have gone through.

Kalou was piss-poor, laughably bad. Torres had a bit of a stinker too.

Play like that and Chelsea will get a proper mullering against Barca. Apply some lube to the arse, lads.
    What about our chances? The game should have been put to bed a long time ago when Ramires missed the easiest tap-in in history. We just got too complacent thinking being 1-0 up against 10 men was a walk in the park. We were still the better side over the two legs, fact.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am a Porto fan.

IMO, that lad shouldn't have been given a second yellow card. Probably was a penalty although Ashley Cole went to the ground very easily indeed.

Benfica were the better team but they didn't take their chances and arguably deserve to have been knocked out for not being clinical enough.

Chelsea will get beaten by Barca and probably in both legs, and comfortably too.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

You'll get hammered by Barca. Just like United have been hammered by them in recent seasons, just like Real Madrid have, just like everyone has. Chelsea are no different.
    I know - im just making a point that there are no ifs and buts in a game that already happened. Chelsea won and deserved to win, end of.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lubus)
    I know - im just making a point that there are no ifs and buts in a game that already happened. Chelsea won and deserved to win, end of.
    you're talking crap, that's what you're doing. You were lucky tonight. Ref was a very useful 12th man for Chelsea and Benfica cocked up in very promising attacking positions, especially in the dying minutes when they could have gone 2-1 up in this leg.

fair play to Chelsea, got the job done and are through to the semis. But you have no chance against Barca.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mourinho:
    "Let me be honest, I don't think the final will be a Real Madrid Chelsea final. I don't think. I prefer to say only this. I don't think it will be Real v Chelsea. It could be Bayern or Barcelona I just don't think it will be Real Madrid v Chelsea and we know why."
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    What about our chances? The game should have been put to bed a long time ago when Ramires missed the easiest tap-in in history. We just got too complacent thinking being 1-0 up against 10 men was a walk in the park. We were still the better side over the two legs, fact.
    I should bloody hope you created chances, given that you were playing against 10 men for quite some time. Given that you were against 10 men, you were massively under pressure in the last 10 minutes and you were effectively one pass (not made, which clearly should have been slotted through) and a proceeding tap-in away from being knocked out.

I also feel that lad shouldn't have been given a second yellow. His leg was outstretched but it did appear he attempted to take in that initial outstretched leg. Ref wasn't good tonight.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I should bloody hope you created chances, given that you were playing against 10 men for quite some time. Given that you were against 10 men, you were massively under pressure in the last 10 minutes and you were effectively one pass (not made, which clearly should have been slotted through) and a proceeding tap-in away from being knocked out.

I also feel that lad shouldn't have been given a second yellow. His leg was outstretched but it did appear he attempted to take in that initial outstretched leg. Ref wasn't good tonight.
    Of course we were under pressure, they were the ones who needed to score the goal, not us. We didn't handle it very well, and it was just a GK error that lead to that nervous last 10 minutes.

Maxi Perreira? He missed the ball completely, had all his studs into Mikel's shin. But of course he's going to tuck his leg back in and stand up to apologise. Ref was a little dodgy, but the red was completely valid.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    IMO, that lad shouldn't have been given a second yellow card. Probably was a penalty although Ashley Cole went to the ground very easily indeed.

Benfica were the better team but they didn't take their chances and arguably deserve to have been knocked out for not being clinical enough.

Chelsea will get beaten by Barca and probably in both legs, and comfortably too.
    Ref was too quick with his cards. Booked 3 players because of that pen, what a mess. They may have said stuff but calm them down, don't pull a card out for it. The 2nd yellow was a yellow and considering he knew he already had a yellow, it was just foolish by Maxi. Benfica weren't great at the Luz and with all the injuries at the back it messed them up in this game. Emerson surprisingly played okay as a CB considering last week he was getting ripped to shreds by Ramires and Benfica just put up a decent fight and only having 10 men too. When Maxi get sent off i thought it was even possible that Cech would score but they didn't give up. They'll probably go top of the league on Monday after we mess up to Braga and they beat Sporting and then it'll be happy days in Lisboa. :rolleyes:
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    Mourinho:
    "Let me be honest, I don't think the final will be a Real Madrid Chelsea final. I don't think. I prefer to say only this. I don't think it will be Real v Chelsea. It could be Bayern or Barcelona I just don't think it will be Real Madrid v Chelsea and we know why."
    He's starting the mind games. It's squeaky bum time.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    There have been several very average teams in the quarters, Chelsea being one that has progressed. They've really over achieved IMO so well done. I really can't see them troubling Barcelona. The Mourinho Chelsea had an exceptionally good defence and they made it on equal footing with Barcelona even after conceding the lion's share of possession. This Barcelona team is arguably better and Chelsea are most definitely worse. Chelsea lack in attack and defence IMO.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ref was too quick with his cards. Booked 3 players because of that pen, what a mess. They may have said stuff but calm them down, don't pull a card out for it. The 2nd yellow was a yellow and considering he knew he already had a yellow, it was just foolish by Maxi. Benfica weren't great at the Luz and with all the injuries at the back it messed them up in this game. Emerson surprisingly played okay as a CB considering last week he was getting ripped to shreds by Ramires and Benfica just put up a decent fight and only having 10 men too. When Maxi get sent off i thought it was even possible that Cech would score but they didn't give up. They'll probably go top of the league on Monday after we mess up to Braga and they beat Sporting and then it'll be happy days in Lisboa. :rolleyes:
    Benfica will be kicking themselves tonight. A match and a tie they could have won. They blew it, although they certainly can pin some blame on the ref who had a stinker tonight. On par with Kalou's - pathetic display by him. Not fit enough to play Conference football, given that performance, nevermind PL football. I hope he gets a good *******ing for his ineptitude.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i do hope chelsea beat barca although i support arsenal

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 5, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football match discussion threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.