Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dentistry Re-applicants 2013 entry

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neeloo)
    Oh thats great to hear! Gives us some hope that it is possible then! Ive contacted the Universities which all requested letters but Ive not really heard anything yet but Ill be going form there.

What sorts of things did you do whilst on your gap year and how did you make your application stronger? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Well I decided to go travelling, but ran out of money! Lol. So I worked for a while and visited Canada over winter. When I came back I got another job and worked until the end of the summer. Most of the money was gone by the end of Freshers' week. Hehe.

I did a bit more work experience, re-wrote my personal statement and did charity volunteering. The key thing is to do something. Universities don't like it if you have a lazy year. It doesn't need to be particularly dentistry related - do something you're interested in. Volunteering is a good choice, showing a caring side and a willingness to work without being money oriented.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone considering to attend the ukcat kaplan course? Apparently it improved some people's scores by over 150
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jedi-master)
    Is anyone considering to attend the ukcat kaplan course? Apparently it improved some people's scores by over 150
    A friend is letting me borrow the KAPLAN booklet, apparently they just read from the book. Maybe try searching for the booklet on Amazon or eBay?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grad_dentist)
    A friend is letting me borrow the KAPLAN booklet, apparently they just read from the book. Maybe try searching for the booklet on Amazon or eBay?
    I wish that your friend was my friend :rolleyes:
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    ive heard they help a lot, when are u going 2 book ur ukcat this yearr??
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StraightUpG)
    ive heard they help a lot, when are u going 2 book ur ukcat this yearr??
    I'm planning to get it out of the way in July, after doing 3x the 600q ukcat book, other mock tests and maybe the kaplan thing. What about you?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning to get it out of the way in July, after doing 3x the 600q ukcat book, other mock tests and maybe the kaplan thing. What about you?
    im still not sure i might leave it right and prepare for it as much as i can! need 2 leave enough time to revise for it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im sure it wont, what where your reasons?
    Firstly, I just wanted to get more work experience etc (already got two weeks), hopefully some travelling. Secondly, I have diabetes, so I wanted to make sure I had it fully under control before uni. But I dont really wanna tell them that :\
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuzzycloud)
    Well I decided to go travelling, but ran out of money! Lol. So I worked for a while and visited Canada over winter. When I came back I got another job and worked until the end of the summer. Most of the money was gone by the end of Freshers' week. Hehe.

I did a bit more work experience, re-wrote my personal statement and did charity volunteering. The key thing is to do something. Universities don't like it if you have a lazy year. It doesn't need to be particularly dentistry related - do something you're interested in. Volunteering is a good choice, showing a caring side and a willingness to work without being money oriented.
    LOL! Its ok, youve clearly shown you had initiative and got a job to fund a trip abroad which is excellent! That helped alot, I think Ill be doing some more voluntary work with the young signers group I regularly volunteer with and also help as a comittee member, we already do volunteering at the local hearing impaired school but after winning some money from the youth oppertunity fund weve now got the money to do canooeing, rock climbimg that sort of stuff with the kids! Also I think Ill try and get work experience in a variet of feilds, like orthodontics etc since Ive hear leeds likes variety!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P_united098)
    Firstly, I just wanted to get more work experience etc (already got two weeks), hopefully some travelling. Secondly, I have diabetes, so I wanted to make sure I had it fully under control before uni. But I dont really wanna tell them that :\
    Oh right, remember two weeks is the bare minimuim so try and get it over a prolonged period of time which shows commitment which Im show you have Sorry to hear about your diabetes, both my mum and dad are diabetics so I understand it can be difficuilt to manage. Type 1 or 2? Im sure they will understand if its something new or if its really affecting your health, plus you dont actually have to tell them, to them youve just taken a gap year to reestablish your passion for dentistry
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowagirl)
    did anyone apply to cardiff, get rejected after the interview and get feedback?
    yh I had interview at cardiff asked for feedback they said :
    The main reason the University was unable to make you an offer of admission for the programme, however, was that following your interview, your overall score did not rank sufficiently high to progress your application.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahmed_1)
    yh I had interview at cardiff asked for feedback they said :
    The main reason the University was unable to make you an offer of admission for the programme, however, was that following your interview, your overall score did not rank sufficiently high to progress your application.

did they say the same thing to you, that if you get 3A's and apply there theyl give you an interview?? that interviews was :eek:a joke!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    did they say the same thing to you, that if you get 3A's and apply there theyl give you an interview?? that interviews was :eek:a joke!!
    They said something about if you get an offer but miss it you can reapply to them, but nothing about a guaranteed interview if you get 3A's. That does sound good though, I'll probably reapply to cardiff next year, if of course I get 3A's. Although the interview at cardiff was stupidly difficult so maybe I won't.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahmed_1)
    They said something about if you get an offer but miss it you can reapply to them, but nothing about a guaranteed interview if you get 3A's. That does sound good though, I'll probably reapply to cardiff next year, if of course I get 3A's. Although the interview at cardiff was stupidly difficult so maybe I won't.
    what day were youu on? what other unis you thinking to applying to?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    what day were youu on? what other unis you thinking to applying to?
    I had my interview on friday. In terms of unis I'm not really sure whether I should apply to the same ones or change them, I'm thinking of applying to king's again (if ukcat goes well), leeds and maybe liverpool. So what are your thoughts on your uni choices?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the only uni ill reapply to will be cardiff, purely cause they did say they would give me another interview if i got 3A's. Im thinking queen mary's liverpool and manchester but not suree yet, whether i want to apply to kingss instead. where did you apply this year?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, remember two weeks is the bare minimuim so try and get it over a prolonged period of time which shows commitment which Im show you have Sorry to hear about your diabetes, both my mum and dad are diabetics so I understand it can be difficuilt to manage. Type 1 or 2? Im sure they will understand if its something new or if its really affecting your health, plus you dont actually have to tell them, to them youve just taken a gap year to reestablish your passion for dentistry
    Haha thanks! Type 1
    Yeahh lol, probably do that :P
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P_united098)
    Haha thanks! Type 1
    Yeahh lol, probably do that :P
    No problemo! Aww, chin up! Dont worry youll still make a graet dentist, if they ask about it at an interviw which Im sure they wont, you can work it to your advantage and talk about how diabetics are slower healers and hence are more likely to suffer from conditions affecting the gums, eg gingivitis and periodontistis and hence tooth loss, etc and you can amaze them with how much you know (as observed at wrk exp)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No problemo! Aww, chin up! Dont worry youll still make a graet dentist, if they ask about it at an interviw which Im sure they wont, you can work it to your advantage and talk about how diabetics are slower healers and hence are more likely to suffer from conditions affecting the gums, eg gingivitis and periodontistis and hence tooth loss, etc and you can amaze them with how much you know (as observed at wrk exp)
    Thanks again lol! Yeah wouldn't mind if they were to bring it up at an interview....I could go on for ages haha! But yeah, we'll just see how it goes! :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!
    Got 4 rejections as well

Applied to kings Leeds Sheffield and Manchester. Got 0 interviews :O :confused:

My stats
    Gcse 5a* 7a 1.5b
    As aaaaa
    A2 pred A*A*A (bio physics chem) + one A already achieved last year
    January exam results A*AA
    UKCAT 637.5 grr

Got feedback from 2 unis Manchester said that I didn't have enough evidence of manual dexterity and leadership (any tips on that please?
    Sheffield said that my ukcat was too low,( already started revising it as I want to reapply there)
    Any ideas on manual dexterity which does not involve playing musical instruments? Thx
    Hey! That's the exact thing that mcr said to me, leadership i didnt have much evidence in my p.s but said loads about manual skillsso I think they we just being really picky!(as well as ukcat which was really low!) btw was ur score out of 20 on the feedback form? Thanks

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 24, 2013
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Dentistry Wiki Homepage

Quick Link:

Unanswered Dentistry Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.