The Student Room Group

Dentistry Re-applicants 2013 entry

Hey Everyone!

I along with quite a few have come to the end of our UCAS cycle dissapointed and without that revered offer at the dream dental school we hoped to go to. But its not all over yet! I think there's lots of us who are having to take a gap year and re-apply for dentistry. So I thought it would be nice for us to have somewhere that we can discuss the upcoming year, how we intend to improve our application and having to re-take the dreaded UKCAT.

Any positive discussion, hints and advise are all welcomed to help us all make this year OUR year!

Best of luck guys!

:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm in the same situation - 2 interviews, 4 rejections!
Where did everyone apply?
What you gonna do in your gap year?

I know I can't get an A in my 3rd subject so I'm picking up an extra A2 subject - do you think this will hinder my application?
Reply 2
hey people what are you stats like? what do you think let you down?
Reply 3
Great stuff! I was rejected first time around, took a gap year and successfully re-applied. I think it shows commitment. Plus, my second application was much stronger than my first.

Unless you know what went wrong, I'd recommend contacting the universities that rejected you to get some feedback on your application. They're usually quite helpful, and it gives you something to work on.

Good luck to you all! Any exciting gap year plans?
Reply 4
Hey!
I'm taking a gap year, infact, I didn't even apply this year (hope this wont count against me :\)
I havn't even planned the gap year yet!!
Reply 5
Hey Everyone!!

Sorry for not replying I didn’t realise anyone had actually responded :smile:

Right, good stuff!

In response to some q's above Ill let you know a little about me and my application which didn’t go as planned :frown:

GCSE’s: 6 A*s 4 As a B and a D ( GCSE in French which I did in yr 8- pointless if you ask me!)

A level grades:
At AS:
Chemistry: A
Biology: A
English Lit and Lang: A
Psychology: A
A2:
Chemistry: C (need to resit in may/june)
Biology : A
Psychology : A

Ukcat: 600.8 (Low I know :frown: )

I applied to Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle and Liverpool. I only received IV's from Leeds and Manchester and wasn’t successful.

I’ve sent off my letters requesting feedback but I haven’t heard anything yet, but Ill let you know once I do.

Honestly, I don't know what happened I think I could have done better at the IVs and I think my UKcat hindered my application also I did resit some chem and bio modules since I didn’t get A’s the first time around due to mitigating circumstances which I think all affected my chances. But oh well, it’s just made me all the more determined to get there next year!

Everything happens for the best I suppose!
In terms of my plans, sadly I’ve not really made any yet but It’ll be good to hear some of your ideas!

Fire away!
Reply 6
Original post by rocco94
I'm in the same situation - 2 interviews, 4 rejections!
Where did everyone apply?
What you gonna do in your gap year?

I know I can't get an A in my 3rd subject so I'm picking up an extra A2 subject - do you think this will hinder my application?

hmm, Im not sure I think some unis do specify that they want you to have completed your a levels all in your two years of study. What is your 3rd subject? Do you plan on doing the extra A2 next year because that may pose a problem for some unis, I think its better to check the websites/ prospectes of the unis youd like to go to and ring to ask them, they are generaly helpful.
Reply 7
Original post by fuzzycloud
Great stuff! I was rejected first time around, took a gap year and successfully re-applied. I think it shows commitment. Plus, my second application was much stronger than my first.

Unless you know what went wrong, I'd recommend contacting the universities that rejected you to get some feedback on your application. They're usually quite helpful, and it gives you something to work on.

Good luck to you all! Any exciting gap year plans?

Oh thats great to hear! Gives us some hope that it is possible then! Ive contacted the Universities which all requested letters but Ive not really heard anything yet but Ill be going form there.

What sorts of things did you do whilst on your gap year and how did you make your application stronger? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by P_united098
Hey!
I'm taking a gap year, infact, I didn't even apply this year (hope this wont count against me :\)
I havn't even planned the gap year yet!!

Im sure it wont, what where your reasons?
Hi everyone!
Got 4 rejections as well :frown:

Applied to kings Leeds Sheffield and Manchester. Got 0 interviews :O :confused:

My stats
Gcse 5a* 7a 1.5b
As aaaaa
A2 pred A*A*A (bio physics chem) + one A already achieved last year
January exam results A*AA
UKCAT 637.5 grr

Got feedback from 2 unis Manchester said that I didn't have enough evidence of manual dexterity and leadership (any tips on that please?
Sheffield said that my ukcat was too low,( already started revising it as I want to reapply there)
Any ideas on manual dexterity which does not involve playing musical instruments? Thx :smile:
Reply 10
Heyy got 4 rejections too, 2 after interviews and 2 before, got rejected from bham and cardiff after the interview, and leeds and bristol before an intervieww wawawa, what are your guys plans for gap year/ where you thinking of applying next year?
Reply 11
Aaaah people in my position! hey buddies!
i got 7A* 1A 2B at GCSE
AS levels: 3A 1B
A2 Predictions: A* A A
4 rejections this year
2 after interview (leeds and bham)
2 before interview (Manc and Lpool)
Gap year ftw!!
Original post by jedi-master
Hi everyone!

My stats
Gcse 5a* 7a 1.5b
As aaaaa
UKCAT 637.5 grr

Got feedback from 2 unis Manchester said that I didn't have enough evidence of manual dexterity and leadership (any tips on that please?
Sheffield said that my ukcat was too low,( already started revising it as I want to reapply there)
Any ideas on manual dexterity which does not involve playing musical instruments? Thx :smile:

Non-instrumental manual dexterity examples include:
1. Cake Decorating
2. Sewing/Embroidery/Knitting/Cross-stitch
3. Mechanics
4. Arts and Crafts
5. Model Making
6. Origami
7. Pottery
8. Henna Painting
9. Electric Soldering Kits
10. Calligraphy

Examples of leadership include:
1. Captain of sports team
2. Scout/Brownie leader
3. [any form of] coach e.g. sports, playscheme etc
4. Prefect/Head Boy
5. Duke of Edinburgh/Millennium Volunteers

Hope this helps.

What type and duration work experience did you have? I ask because Leeds like to see a variety, and in particular like long-term experience as well as strong voluntary work and extra-curricular activities.

Your UKCAT most likely let you down with both Sheffield and King's.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Heyy
4 rejections for me too!
GCSE: 4A* 6A
AS: AAAA
A2 predicted: AAA
UKCAT: 590 (i know!!) :ashamed2:
Pre-interview from Leeds, Manchester & Liverpool
Post-interview from Bristol

I think work exp is what let me down. So hoping to do more of that next year. Sooo difficult to find work exp tho :mad:

Good luck everyone! :smile:
Reply 14
Hi everyone!

My stats
Gcse 5a* 7a 1.5b
As aaaaa
UKCAT 637.5 grr

Manchester said the same feedback for me too. Manual dexterity and leadership. Hope they arent sending the same thing for nearly everyone cos that wouldn't really help any of us :/
count me in this!
Original post by grad_dentist
Non-instrumental manual dexterity examples include:
1. Cake Decorating
2. Sewing/Embroidery/Knitting/Cross-stitch
3. Mechanics
4. Arts and Crafts
5. Model Making
6. Origami
7. Pottery
8. Henna Painting
9. Electric Soldering Kits
10. Calligraphy

Examples of leadership include:
1. Captain of sports team
2. Scout/Brownie leader
3. [any form of] coach e.g. sports, playscheme etc
4. Prefect/Head Boy
5. Duke of Edinburgh/Millennium Volunteers

Hope this helps.

What type and duration work experience did you have? I ask because Leeds like to see a variety, and in particular like long-term experience as well as strong voluntary work and extra-curricular activities.

Your UKCAT most likely let you down with both Sheffield and King's.

Awesome! Thanks so much for that :biggrin: now I have to choose at least one from each category LOL

My work experience: total 3 weeks in 2 different GDPs, so not much really :frown: already sending some letters to some local private dental practices to do work experience there over the holidays

First work experience was one week long and it was at the end of year 10, nothing too special shadowing a dentist, reception work just to see how a whole dental practice works.

Second work experience was at the end of year 12, 2 weeks shadowing 2 dentists. Except shadowing they also taught me the basics of dentistry and they also showed me the uses of different dental materials etc.

I have heard that Leeds want everyone to have at least 50 years of ongoing work experience together being employed and working as a dental nurse. :eek: :confused:
Awesome! Thanks so much for that :biggrin: now I have to choose at least one from each category LOL

My work experience: total 3 weeks in 2 different GDPs, so not much really :frown: already sending some letters to some local private dental practices to do work experience there over the holidays

First work experience was one week long and it was at the end of year 10, nothing too special shadowing a dentist, reception work just to see how a whole dental practice works.

Second work experience was at the end of year 12, 2 weeks shadowing 2 dentists. Except shadowing they also taught me the basics of dentistry and they also showed me the uses of different dental materials etc.

I have heard that Leeds want everyone to have at least 50 years of ongoing work experience together being employed and working as a dental nurse. :eek: :confused:

repped xD :colone:
Reply 18
did anyone apply to cardiff, get rejected after the interview and get feedback?

They look at how much variety you have, as well as duration.

Quick Reply

Latest